Engine holds its revs.

Anything Triton related

Re: Engine holds its revs.

Postby aussie53 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:14 am

Been meaning to post this for a while but when I had my first free service done at 1,500, I complained about the engine holding revs whle changing gears (esp 1->2 and 2->3). The job sheet back from the dealer says, and I quote: "This is a characteristic of this vehicle. No faults found. This characteristic is known as DASHPOT" Dashpot? WTF? After discussing with a service technician, he says it is to overcome turbo lag.

Compare this to my 2008 PJ Ranger cab chassis with 105,000 kms manual, no engine holding revs issues, no turbo lag, lovely smooth car-like gear changes - altogether far less agricultural than a 2014 MY15 which should be far more advanced. Thank god they're cheap, the only reason to get one imo.
aussie53

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:42 am

That's interesting. First time I think I've heard it called that. I can't find any reference to it in the biggest workshop manual I have access too.

Google finds a few references to in in petrol engined Mitsubishis though - like this one http://workshop-manuals.com/mitsubishi/3000gt_convertible/v6-2972cc_3.0l_dohc_turbo_24_valve/powertrain_management/fuel_delivery_and_air_induction/dashpot/component_information/adjustments/

As for being characteristic, it wasn't originally and seems a relatively recent (but mostly unwelcome) inclusion.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby GLX58 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 am

aussie53 wrote:Been meaning to post this for a while but when I had my first free service done at 1,500, I complained about the engine holding revs whle changing gears (esp 1->2 and 2->3). The job sheet back from the dealer says, and I quote: "This is a characteristic of this vehicle. No faults found. This characteristic is known as DASHPOT" Dashpot? WTF? After discussing with a service technician, he says it is to overcome turbo lag.

Compare this to my 2008 PJ Ranger cab chassis with 105,000 kms manual, no engine holding revs issues, no turbo lag, lovely smooth car-like gear changes - altogether far less agricultural than a 2014 MY15 which should be far more advanced. Thank god they're cheap, the only reason to get one imo.

Yep, that's the same response all seem to be getting. Don't think Dashpot' was mentioned before tho. Note that myself and some others have noticed calming of the flaring after about 6k kms or after fitting the EGR mod.

Kinda harsh assessment dude? while I agree they are certainly behind others in terms of refinement (had a PK ranger before, way better engine, way worse in other areas) frankly, did you not test drive one before you dropped 30k+? Being 10-15k cheaper (and far from 10-15k worse) is a pretty good reason I agree...

On a side note of interest with this issue: a (new) Suzuki grand vitara was recently added to the garage. It's now got just over 2k kms on it, was driving it the other day (GF drives it primarily) and noticed something funny... You guessed it. It flares the throttle between gear changes! In terms of the amount of revs, I would say it was even actually worse than the triton. It also does it more on downchanges than the triton seems to. Most obvious above 70kmh. It is actually less noticeable than the tri tho as the engine is quieter. It is also a NA petrol motor.
GLX58

Postby aussie53 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 pm

GLX58 wrote:
aussie53 wrote:Been meaning to post this for a while but when I had my first free service done at 1,500, I complained about the engine holding revs whle changing gears (esp 1->2 and 2->3). The job sheet back from the dealer says, and I quote: "This is a characteristic of this vehicle. No faults found. This characteristic is known as DASHPOT" Dashpot? WTF? After discussing with a service technician, he says it is to overcome turbo lag.

Yep, that's the same response all seem to be getting. Don't think Dashpot' was mentioned before tho. Note that myself and some others have noticed calming of the flaring after about 6k kms or after fitting the EGR mod.

Kinda harsh assessment dude? while I agree they are certainly behind others in terms of refinement (had a PK ranger before, way better engine, way worse in other areas) frankly, did you not test drive one before you dropped 30k+? Being 10-15k cheaper (and far from 10-15k worse) is a pretty good reason I agree...

On a side note of interest with this issue: a (new) Suzuki grand vitara was recently added to the garage. It's now got just over 2k kms on it, was driving it the other day (GF drives it primarily) and noticed something funny... You guessed it. It flares the throttle between gear changes! In terms of the amount of revs, I would say it was even actually worse than the triton. It also does it more on downchanges than the triton seems to. Most obvious above 70kmh. It is actually less noticeable than the tri tho as the engine is quieter. It is also a NA petrol motor.

Didn't mean to come across as harsh because the vehicle still represents good value for what you get. I got mine for an exceptionally good price and mine will essentially be used to tow a 1.5T caravan on bitumen roads and it should fulfill that role well. Having that said that, my opinion is that if you could get a Ranger, BT50, Dmax or even a Colorado within $5K of the purchase price of the Triton then they would represent the better buys. You can't, so if you operate on a budget, then the Triton is the one to get. Just my 2cents.
aussie53

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Have you fitted the EGR/Resistor mod at all? The reason I ask is that some have reported that this issue (which has been described as 'flaring' before) seems much less of a problem with the EGR mod fitted. No one seems to know why yet but there were a couple (maybe even half a dozen or so) of blokes who reported similar outcomes so maybe it's a goer. Would be easiest if you knew someone with one you could borrow to test if you haven't already gone that way.

Cowboy Dave

Postby aussie53 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:25 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Have you fitted the EGR/Resistor mod at all? The reason I ask is that some have reported that this issue (which has been described as 'flaring' before) seems much less of a problem with the EGR mod fitted. No one seems to know why yet but there were a couple (maybe even half a dozen or so) of blokes who reported similar outcomes so maybe it's a goer. Would be easiest if you knew someone with one you could borrow to test if you haven't already gone that way.

CD I haven't because like many owners have reported, you adjust your driving style to suit and you also get used to it. I have a more pressing issue with vibration through the vehicle at 95 - 105kms which the dealer is investigating next week. All about priorities.
aussie53

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:38 am

Please report back if you solve the vibration thing, there are a few of us who have that particular mystery symptom.

Cowboy Dave

Postby WiilyB on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 am

Had my Triton in for scheduled service and they also did the 'overheating service campaign' updates.

Drove out and immediately noticed the same throttle problems that you are all having. Was told that they reflashed the ECU to 'protect the drivetrain'.

So what's going on?
WiilyB

Postby Turtlewa on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:47 am

Anyone notice lag in throttle in the auto lag in taking off hard from stop like worse turbo lag after the reflash im noticing it after 2 weeks of driving it
Turtlewa

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 pm

WiilyB wrote:Had my Triton in for scheduled service and they also did the 'overheating service campaign' updates.

Drove out and immediately noticed the same throttle problems that you are all having. Was told that they reflashed the ECU to 'protect the drivetrain'.

So what's going on?

I don't think anyone really knows. But there have been reports of this throttle issue on brand new tritons so it is something that has come out in updated ECU parameters at some point.

This post from the other day has a couple of clues:

Not that it makes much sense but it does seem to have been deliberate. I have an auto so wouldn't notice it the same way as a manual driver would.

Cowboy Dave

Postby hvac guy on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Mine was heaps better in fact my missus nearly t boned someone
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aussie53 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Please report back if you solve the vibration thing, there are a few of us who have that particular mystery symptom.

CD since this post I have met with the Service Manager of the selling dealership who has vowed to determine to find and fix this vibration problem. He said whether it be tyre issues, drivetrain issues or whatever, he wants to find it and fix it. The Triton goes to the dealer this afternoon for them to have it for as long as it takes.

I like to give everybody the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to make good on claims, and so far the SM has been really good, listening to my concerns, and formulating a positive action plan. If it all works out, I'll give credit where it's due, and post positive feedback on the forum.
aussie53

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks mate. I was able to rule out tyres and rims by swapping them. Also new suspension all round made no difference - and given that meant suspension guys moving everything around in theory loose bolts on control arms etc shouldn't be feasible. New diffs with lockers both ends too. Had quite a few alignments, wheel balances and so on, still no difference. So for me I got things kind of narrowed down by ruling most of the obvious stuff out. But that leaves things like driveshafts or axles and bearings maybe? Which gets a bit harder.

My dealer here asked me see if I still had the problem in gears other than 5th - I did. Not sure what that means to be honest.

Anyway fingers crossed your bloke susses it out.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DManSparky on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Turtlewa wrote:Anyone notice lag in throttle in the auto lag in taking off hard from stop like worse turbo lag after the reflash im noticing it after 2 weeks of driving it

I noticed it as soon as I pulled out of the dealers driveway onto the Princes Hwy. 2nd -> 3rd has a real hole in the torque. If my dirt bike did the same thing I would be striping down the carb. Drove 500m and turned around and took it back. Service techs said it drove like a normal Triton, maybe a air in the fuel line or some shit like that. Even the missus complains about it. Service only done 2 weeks ago. Might have to take it back.
DManSparky

Postby gspy4u on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Always had it in ours, got used to not stomping on the throttle as hard now. Once it gets going then flat to floor and it works fine. But if you floor it from standstill, it bogs down real bad.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shortSteve on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:50 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Thanks mate. I was able to rule out tyres and rims by swapping them. Also new suspension all round made no difference - and given that meant suspension guys moving everything around in theory loose bolts on control arms etc shouldn't be feasible. New diffs with lockers both ends too. Had quite a few alignments, wheel balances and so on, still no difference. So for me I got things kind of narrowed down by ruling most of the obvious stuff out. But that leaves things like driveshafts or axles and bearings maybe? Which gets a bit harder.

My dealer here asked me see if I still had the problem in gears other than 5th - I did. Not sure what that means to be honest.

Anyway fingers crossed your bloke susses it out.

I had an issue with the Challenger, at certain road speeds would cause a harmonic like resonance through the car, was road speed related and not engine speed. After going through the driveline, wheel/tyre thing no answer could be found. After taking the Triton bush one day, aired up, got on the freeway and same vibration, totally out of the blue. Same road, same road speeds that the challenger would. Seemed frequency related if that makes sense. Got home, adjusted tyre pressures when they had cooled off (were about 6 psi too high) then went to work the next day and, nothing. Seemed at higher speeds and pressures (only talking 38 psi here) the cars would react to small road vibes. different tyres just made a different frequency vibration, but both cars, especially the challenger, did this. Will be keen to see if a definitive outcome prevails...

sS
shortSteve

Postby alan_blue on Sun May 03, 2015 8:21 pm

this was a good read all and I have been chasing my local dealer about this for a few months. Current state is that I have the poor fuel economy, increased lag and rev holding due to the ECU flash at newest software upgrade. After lots of to and fro Mitsi are sending up some top tech from ADL to review the car and drive it approx. 200k whilst diagnosing. This was due to a continued effort from myself and other around the country who have reported the same.

So please don't accept the excuses if this is bugging you. I assume the outcome will be a new software version in the future.

cheers
alan_blue

Postby aussie53 on Tue May 05, 2015 1:30 pm

About the engine holding its revs, accoridng to Mits it is designed to do so to overcome turbo lag. As someone earlier posted there is a real hole when changing from 2->3 if you don't really get the revs up on 1st. If you get the revs up to 1800+ you really reduce the lag and don't get to wait for the rear-end crash at the lights!! I think that either my MY15 is not holding the revs as much now (9,000kms) or I'm used to it and have adjusted my driving style to account for it - lifting off the throttle before disengaging the clutch really gets around the issue so like I say, you need to adjust your driving style.

The vibration through the vehicle is definitely a harmonic issue, but where it's coming from is the problem. The dealer initially agreed that there was an issue so they balanced all rims and tyres separately and rotated the wheels. They believe the problem has almost gone but I feel no difference. The service manager says he can not do anything else but if I wish to refer it to Mitsubishi direcly he will support me. Basically the vibration only comes in at around 103 - 105 kms/hr and as most of my driving is at speeds less than that I can't be bothered to spend more time and energy pursuing the issue. I always tow at around 90 - 95 and the vehicle behaves well at thoses speeds. I also find that with a van on the vibration seems not to be there at 100+ but perhaps that is more due to the steering experience on our Australian roads towing a van.

I somewhat accept that the Triton is basically a cheap, commercial ute and that it is unrealistic to expect car-like characteristics. It does the job I bought it for reasonably well (tows the pop top van), okay on fuel, seems reliable, comfortable enough, nice big tray under the canopy to kep the dog and gear in, and importantly, was inexpensive to buy.
aussie53

Postby yakfishdave on Fri May 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Finally got around to going into the dealer today about this VERY ANNOYING problem with the engine holding its revs, and was told there was no fix and it is set up like this to inject extra fuel to improve cooling. Now I dont know much about diesels and this could very well be true but it seems like a strange way to fix a problem. Also, there seems to be a lot of different reasons given to forum members here by the dealers for the same thing. Am I being a bit sceptical here ?it seems like Mitsubishi are fixing a design fault by simply re-mapping the ECU rather than the more expensive option of re-engineering it. Anyway I'm generally happy with the Triton and the dealer's warranty repairs so shouldnt complain.
yakfishdave

Postby Froggy on Sun May 17, 2015 6:29 am

Dunno why this thread has 17 pages. It's not annoying at all. It's what the engine is designed to do for many logical reasons. If you can't drive a manual, buy an auto like all the other soccer mum's.
Froggy

Postby RHKTriton on Sun May 17, 2015 9:01 am

This holding revs issue sounds just as annoying as it was when dash pots were installed on some petrol cars back in the 80s. These held onto the throttle flap and closed it slowly - for environmental reasons.

Turbo lag - don't the MNs have VGTs? The purpose of this design is to virtually get rid of lag.

My old Vito came onto good boost only a few hundred revs above idle.

I'd be inclined to agree with Froggy to a degree - looking at what some are breaking and wearing out prematurely, there must be a number of drivers that can't drive a manual. :evil: :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sun May 17, 2015 12:21 pm

It's Mr Mitsui's way of compensating for younger Gen-X & Gen-Y drivers who can't double de-clutch.... :D :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby flatcountrymick on Wed May 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Froggy wrote:Dunno why this thread has 17 pages. It's not annoying at all. It's what the engine is designed to do for many logical reasons. If you can't drive a manual, buy an auto like all the other soccer mum's.

I wouldn't go that far. It just takes getting used to.
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby Bax155 on Thu May 21, 2015 9:02 pm

I was told from mechanic at work that it would be caused due to having an electronic throttle, I then realised coming from my zippy little sports car I was changing gears to quick and had to slow it down like when I'm driving the trucks at work, needless to so no more issues!
Bax155

Postby chevute on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 pm

I know this is an old thread but did anyone have any luck with mitsubishi fixing the ( delay ) throttle staying on while decelerating mine has been doing this since the service campaign for overheating and it seems worse in hot weather in third and fourth gears .
chevute

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion