Engine holds its revs.

Anything Triton related

Engine holds its revs.

Postby PhilW on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm

This is my first Triton having had a BT50 previously.

My Question is .....When I change gear the engine seems to hold its revs for a second before coming down to idle.
Is this a Triton trait? It almost seems that the revs are too high to engage the gear you require either changing up or down.

The gears do seem a little hard to change but I have just put this down to only having 300kms on the clock.

Regards Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Engine holds its revs.

Postby tony73 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:42 pm

PhilW wrote:This is my first Triton having had a BT50 previously.

My Question is .....When I change gear the engine seems to hold its revs for a second before coming down to idle.
Is this a Triton trait? It almost seems that the revs are too high to engage the gear you require either changing up or down.

The gears do seem a little hard to change but I have just put this down to only having 300kms on the clock.

Regards Phil

No doesnt sound normal to me! Im not that mechanically minded but maybe soulds like the throttle lever is a bit sticky??? :?:

Ive only just bought my first brand new Triton, but its an Auto so cant compare mate!
tony73

Postby fridgie on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm assuming MN 2.5l TD???

There was a post a while ago about a 2.4l petrol doing the same thing, think it turned out to be the maf sensor or something....

//found it ;)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11634&p=274187&hilit=revs+second#p274187

Might not be any help but hey...I tried ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Snooozy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm

my 3.2 has done this since new.
only when cold though, I only have to drive it about 2km & its back to normal.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Mine does it when cold aswell..and sometimes when at normal temp...I Just live with it
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Mine does it when cold aswell..and sometimes when at normal temp...I Just live with it
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:13 pm

COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Naff on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Been a while since you were online chicky... forget how it works?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Naff wrote:Been a while since you were online chicky... forget how it works?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby PhilW on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sorry forgot to mention it is an MN 2.5 Diesel.

Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Honky on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:07 pm

If you want to find out how much they hold their revs, just put the clutch in to turn the cruise off when you are going up a hill. Even with no throttle it will rev like crazy.

Honky
Honky

Postby SecondEye on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Yeah my 3.2 does it too put it down to overfueling a bit with added compensation for cold engine and lack of servicing.
SecondEye

Postby Lovethatcar on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 am

Yep I've got an 09 ML 3.2 diesel - mine dose it too. I think it's a fault/problem relatedto the 'flyby wire' throttle. But as some of you have said I've been living with it, but its really starting to shit me lately.
Lovethatcar

Postby tav43 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:29 pm

the same here, more so when its cold but it still happens when its warm...(3.2 did) can be a bit dangerous for ppl whom r not used to it me thinks
tav43

Postby salt36 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 pm

When you back the throttle off the turbo is still pushing air into the engine, and so the revs hold for a bit until the pressure in the inlet manifold reduces allowing the engine to slow down.

It is for this reason the performance cars have a 'blowoff' valve which immediately lets the pressure out allowing the revs to drop quicker and the next gear selected a whole lot sooner. Mostly applies to petrol drag cars etc.. but the same principle in any turbo engine.

Honky wrote:If you want to find out how much they hold their revs, just put the clutch in to turn the cruise off when you are going up a hill. Even with no throttle it will rev like crazy.

Honky

:lol: :lol: I tested this once, it works, almost went to redline before backing off :shock:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Snooozy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:48 pm

salt36 wrote:When you back the throttle off the turbo is still pushing air into the engine, and so the revs hold for a bit until the pressure in the inlet manifold reduces allowing the engine to slow down.

Mine only does it first thing in the morning when cold.
I usually keep revs under 2000 when changing gears until warm. Turbo takes effect just over 2k so I don't think its the reason of the rev hang.
Mine actually increases in revs slightly.

I think its to do with electronic sensors telling the ECU to to throttle up.

It doesn't really worry me as I am used to it & it stops doing it within a minute or so
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lovethatcar on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Where talking very low revs, backing the car out of the drive way in the morning idling it out if you like. Yeah I agree with you Snooozy. Come on someone who has had this problem fixed tell us what the problem was! 'Tony' - 'Tex' and moderator who may be able to help.
Lovethatcar

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Is the ac on when U first start up ? Turn it off before U start and see if it still does the same.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Lovethatcar wrote:Where talking very low revs, backing the car out of the drive way in the morning idling it out if you like. Yeah I agree with you Snooozy. Come on someone who has had this problem fixed tell us what the problem was! 'Tony' - 'Tex' and moderator who may be able to help.

AHH ok yes both my petrol ML and my rattler MN work ute do this.

During warm up the ECU sets the revs to the engine temp, obviously the lower the temp, more revs etc.

When backing out the driveway the revs reduce slightly due to the load of having to move the car. The ECU compensates with more throttle and fuel etc to keep the engine at the certain revs.

When you push the clutch in the load is gone and the engine will rev more due to having more throttle, fuel etc applied by the ECU. The ECU will correct this but will take a second or two.

When the engine has reached operating temperature the ECU then switches to closed or open loop throttle mode and does not compensate the revs.

Completely normal.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby drover on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm

I am so glad I read this post my is a ML 3.2 and have been concerned about it holding it's revs when cold. :) Started last winter and just went through the hottest summer since 1932 and it still done it :shock:
drover

Postby PhilW on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Well I can finally put this issue to rest and start enjoying my ute.
After the mechanic at the dealership taking my vehicle for a run and telling me that I do indeed have a problem, I am now told that the holding of revs between the gears is normal for the 2.5l manuals.

The car has now been in twice to try and solve what I thought was a problem and after swapping nearly every sensor and replacing the throttle by wire it still did it.

The dealer service department then contacted Mitsubishi head office only to be told that this is normal and is done to burn off excessive pollutants.Fair call although a tad annoying when trying to change gears.

The service department to their credit arranged for me to test drive another stock vehicle the same as mine.

No difference........ revs also holding between gear change.

A change of driving habits on my behalf me thinks.

Anyway piece of mind ....I can now get on to pimping the beast.

Cheers Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jjj on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:54 am

Snooozy wrote:my 3.2 has done this since new.
only when cold though, I only have to drive it about 2km & its back to normal.

My ML dualcab 3.2D 5spd manual does the same thing with 87000km on the clock , only when cold.. :mrgreen:
jjj

Postby Lovethatcar on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 pm

PhilW, thanks! Bloody mitsubishi dealerships! They never can fix the problem so it seems for me! Just give an excuse!
Lovethatcar

Postby Sootie on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 pm

PhilW wrote:Well I can finally put this issue to rest and start enjoying my ute.
After the mechanic at the dealership taking my vehicle for a run and telling me that I do indeed have a problem, I am now told that the holding of revs between the gears is normal for the 2.5l manuals.

The car has now been in twice to try and solve what I thought was a problem and after swapping nearly every sensor and replacing the throttle by wire it still did it.

The dealer service department then contacted Mitsubishi head office only to be told that this is normal and is done to burn off excessive pollutants.Fair call although a tad annoying when trying to change gears.

The service department to their credit arranged for me to test drive another stock vehicle the same as mine.

Cheers Phil

Picked up my brand new triton on wednesday (2.5 d manual) and it does the exact same thing, I find it irksome but thats probably only because it happened often on my old car it meant I had broken something again...
Sootie

Postby gibberplain1 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm

PhilW wrote:Well I can finally put this issue to rest and start enjoying my ute.

Cheers Phil

My MN does it. Sounds about right to me re the polution stuff. my old carby fed GQPatrol even did the same thing. it had a valve that fed fuel in when engine revs were above low and throttle was closed e.g. deceleration going down a hill etc. it supposedly improved emmisions but would also hold the revs up longer.

Would be interested to hear from one of the MN guys with a chip to see if theirs still do it. I t probably an easy economy gain to stop it doing it.
gibberplain1

Next

Return to General Discussion