Engine holds its revs.

Anything Triton related

Re: Engine holds its revs.

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 am

This sounds very similar to the days when pollution controls were first finding their way into our local cars. One was a solenoid that would keep the throttle open on petrol engines for a few seconds and gradually drop off. This to lower hydrocarbons and NOx.

Maybe MM is experimenting to meet the next Euro level regs and owners are unwitting test mules.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jaymac92 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 am

Mine does it, and it also holds the revs when I'm plotting along in a gear, say third, at around 1400-1600 and I accelerate briefly then decelerate, it's as if I'm holding the accelerator for like 5 seconds in one spot, then it starts to decelerate! Like the throttle is really sticky. Dangerous in traffic as I let go of the accelerator and it still keeps accelerating for a couple of seconds...
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby BusterMan2388 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Yea well I've had Tony's egr mod in for a few days now and I think it has actually help reduce that throttle stickiness when it's bone cold. Yes I live in a town with very cold winters lol. It snows at my place.
BusterMan2388

Postby OffRoadDave on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm

My MY15 does it, annoyed me at first but I've gotten used to it, it wouldn't surprise me if it to help the loss of boost on gear changes, if I wait around for the revs to drop off during changes rather than dragging the engine down with the clutch it feels like it takes longer to build boost again.
OffRoadDave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:02 pm

BusterMan2388 wrote:Yea well I've had Tony's egr mod in for a few days now and I think it has actually help reduce that throttle stickiness when it's bone cold. Yes I live in a town with very cold winters lol. It snows at my place.

You're not the first one to have made that observation so there's definitely something in it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby BusterMan2388 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 am

Yea must be due to the throttle position maybe?
BusterMan2388

Postby Jaymac92 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 am

I hate all the electronics in these cars.
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby gspy4u on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 am

That's what made us decide on an auto, hated the rev thing. No wonder you wear out clutch's quicker, I couldn't be bothered having to consciously remember to adapt my driving for the revs in the Triton and then have to go back to the real way of driving when i jump into our Prado. Would of drove me nuts.

Plus I'm an old fart now and makes it easier for the miss's in all the damn traffic through the city. Well that's my excuse anyway.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BusterMan2388 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm in the country and autos suck. Wouldn't even consider one unless it was the 6 speed box in the ranger/bt50
BusterMan2388

Re: Sticky throttle when cold

Postby Danos on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 am

Hey guys

Well looks like this thread is progressing well since my last visit!

I followed up with the dealer (Bunbury WA) when my car went in for its 15k service and he said it was because of the ECU and dirty fuel. They did a software update on the computer which did make it a little better. He recommended Shell and BP fuels and reackons he "wouldnt light a fire with Gull diesel" and to avoid bio diesel. I might try a few tanks of caltex vortex and see. The problem still exists though so I am going to followup again.

Also, it seems as though the fuel economy has gotten worse since the 15k service. I struggle to get 600km to a tank (60-62L). In comparison, the inlaws older triton can get around 650 km and his car doesnt have any flare issues. Makes me think the problems all originate from "updates" to engine control. I have mentioned this in a separate thread though (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3167)

BusterMan2388 wrote:I have a 2014 MN GLX dual cab diesel and when it's cold in the mornings the throttle is very jumpy and it sticks so when you take your foot off the pedal it's as if the throttle sticks on temporarily?

Yes! Pain in the backside. I got some strange looks from parents when creeping through a campgroup bunny hopping all over the place with kids on the roadside. I am going to talk to dealer about this as well.

Cheers
Dane
Danos

Postby AD07 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:25 am

If you're getting approx 600km from 60-62L , you still have approx 15L so you realistically will get about 750km, which isnt that bad.
AD07

Postby Danos on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am

I guess I am assuming people refill when the gauge gets to E which tends to be around 63-65L. From what I read others can get 650 km on a "full tank" (62-65L) - "Full" to "E" but no further.
Danos

Re: Sticky throttle when cold

Postby gspy4u on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 pm

Danos wrote:Hey guys

Well looks like this thread is progressing well since my last visit!

I followed up with the dealer (Bunbury WA) when my car went in for its 15k service and he said it was because of the ECU and dirty fuel. They did a software update on the computer which did make it a little better. He recommended Shell and BP fuels and reackons he "wouldnt light a fire with Gull diesel" and to avoid bio diesel. I might try a few tanks of caltex vortex and see. The problem still exists though so I am going to followup again.

Also, it seems as though the fuel economy has gotten worse since the 15k service. I struggle to get 600km to a tank (60-62L). In comparison, the inlaws older triton can get around 650 km and his car doesnt have any flare issues. Makes me think the problems all originate from "updates" to engine control. I have mentioned this in a separate thread though (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3167)

BusterMan2388 wrote:I have a 2014 MN GLX dual cab diesel and when it's cold in the mornings the throttle is very jumpy and it sticks so when you take your foot off the pedal it's as if the throttle sticks on temporarily?

Yes! Pain in the backside. I got some strange looks from parents when creeping through a campgroup bunny hopping all over the place with kids on the roadside. I am going to talk to dealer about this as well.

Cheers
Dane

I Call BS on the dirty fuel comment from the dealer. When we were looking at getting ours, we took a few for test drives and the engine holding revs thing was on each and every brand new vehicle we drove. Put us off getting the manual.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Some have reported a reduction in these symptoms after performing the EGR resistor mod. Can't really hurt to give that a try?

As for 50km difference between two vehicles I reckon you'd be hard pressed to persuade anyone that's statistically significant unless you remove about a hundred different variables - tyre size, load, driving style, route, speed, which fuel and so on and so forth.

FWIW I've had better results out of BP and Shell too. Vortex is okay but mine seems to prefer the others. No science to it, just the 'vibe' of it. Feels better to me anyway.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Danos on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes I have been reading up about this "resistor mod" or "Tonys mod" but the information is so scattered its hard to work out what exactly it is doing. I'll try some more searching.
Danos

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:26 pm

It's feeding the ecu data which makes it believe it's colder than it really is. As a result the EGR stays closed and unlike with an EGR blank the flap in the throttle body can open fully.

I can't tell you why that would help some people with engines holding revs but several have reported that it does. Why is anybody's guess since we don't know why they hold revs in the first place but EGR and throttle position would be on your list of suspects given that's what the resistor mod affects.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Danos on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Awesome thanks. I did do some more reading and figured out what all the fuss was over, just waiting for a reply from Tony (if he hasnt had enough already).
Danos

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:44 pm

He was off the farm for a couple of days over the weekend so will be drowning in emails and PMs at the moment.

Cowboy Dave

Postby snappyrow on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:11 am

Hi guys,
Has anyone else had this engine flaring on up-shifts start occurring since the latest re-flash for the cooling service campaign? My 2011 manual MN has never done it before but since its 75k service and cooling related re-flash a couple of weeks ago it has developed this very annoying habit. The harder you're accelerating, the worse it does it. Usually no more than 200rpm increase. I run a ChipIt Chip and egr resistor mod. Both of these on or off, it still happens, though more noticeably with the chip on. Booked in to go back to the dealer on Thursday for another re-flash.
snappyrow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sootie on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 am

Mine flared before the reflash and it still does after, I dont really notice it anymore :|
Sootie

Postby OffRoadDave on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 pm

My Jan 15 build flares between the gears so if it's been flashed with the latest rom it's probably bound to do it when it never has before.
OffRoadDave

Postby Jaymac92 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:11 am

Got my dealer to check it out during the service campaign, they said it was normal emissions control...
Jaymac92

Postby yakfishdave on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Snappyrow, I'm the same as you, mine is same year, same problem after 75k service with cooling system, re-flash, damn annoying, cant get it back to dealer for a while, did you get the problem rectified?
yakfishdave

Postby Danos on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 am

Hey guys

Just got my car back from the recent recall service to replace the radiator cap and fluid and apparently they also did an ECU update.

Its early days but it seems the revving between gear change has gone even without the EGR ET mod (the mk3 plug and play resistors). I think it still might bunny hop at low speeds - not sure just yet.

Hoping it stays that way with a few more drives.

Danos
Danos

Postby snappyrow on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:16 am

yakfishdave wrote:Snappyrow, I'm the same as you, mine is same year, same problem after 75k service with cooling system, re-flash, damn annoying, cant get it back to dealer for a while, did you get the problem rectified?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get it back to the dealer yet. They have agreed to do another reflash so just a matter of finding the time to get it to them. Could take a while...
snappyrow
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion