Engine holds its revs.

Anything Triton related

Re: Engine holds its revs.

Postby hillsiderural on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 pm

sound like an excuse from mitsubishi, the triton i test drove didnt do it and the service dept at the dealer i bought it from says some do it and some don't? funnily enough the one i bought is doing it and it annoys the hell out of me. i cant believe this is normal, i think it is a common problem but that doesnt make it normal. :cry:
hillsiderural

Postby PhilW on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:23 pm

It is something that I am still struggling with.It beggars belief that a vehicle can be released in 2013 that is such an effort to drive and gear change due to this rev flare.Do they test drive these things before they release them?

I have done some research with other models that suffer the same problem and some of the manufacturers have released a software upgrade to overcome the issue.This model in manual needs a fix!

Cheers Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sootie on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 pm

its not that hard to drive just take 1 second longer between gear changes, I don't even notice it any more (5000kms since new on mine).

I'm still loving the fact I can still win traffic light drag races in a 2 tonne diesel ute (yes I am 5 years old) :lol:
Sootie

Postby greybeard on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 pm

I've seen similar on a Suzuki sx4 and a corolla. Both cases the dealer has indicated it is a pollution thing.
I reckon it's a pain in the ass as you no longer have control of the engine revs with the throttle.
Only trick to driving was to change the way I drove. Instead of hitting the clutch at the same time as I released the throttle you need to release the throttle, count to one then hit the clutch.
The I get into my '06 MK with a fly by cable 40m40t and get to make the engine do as I direct, not as some weenie programmer thinks is a good thing.
greybeard

Postby PhilW on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Sootie wrote:its not that hard to drive just take 1 second longer between gear changes, I don't even notice it any more (5000kms since new on mine).

I'm still loving the fact I can still win traffic light drag races in a 2 tonne diesel ute (yes I am 5 years old) :lol:

Hi Sootie,
That is what I have been doing and I will get used to it........it is just hard changing habits after 32 years of driving a manual in a particular way..

I might add aside from this issue I love my Triton.Yet to do a trip or any offroad driving.That will change in four weeks as we are hooking up the Eagle outback and heading up to the mid north coast (NSW). Cant wait ;)

Cheers Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sootie on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 pm

PhilW wrote:
Sootie wrote:its not that hard to drive just take 1 second longer between gear changes, I don't even notice it any more (5000kms since new on mine).

Hi Sootie,
That is what I have been doing and I will get used to it........it is just hard changing habits after 32 years of driving a manual in a particular way..

I might add aside from this issue I love my Triton.Yet to do a trip or any offroad driving.That will change in four weeks as we are hooking up the Eagle outback and heading up to the mid north coast (NSW). Cant wait ;)

Cheers Phil

Agree'd on the old habbits die hard mate, I'm ok with the clutch but I have been driving sports cars for years and keep going into corners in the triton way too hot :lol: my stability control thinks I'm nuts :lol:

I have only been out in mine on some local tracks (lake mac/ watagans) but hanging to take it on a decent trip somewhere too
Sootie

Postby Silvertruck on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:48 pm

It's normal, apparently its better to hold power during shifts, my ve ss got tuned and they made it hold the revs
Silvertruck

Postby PhilW on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Silvertruck wrote:It's normal, apparently its better to hold power during shifts, my ve ss got tuned and they made it hold the revs

Why???

The gear box syncros and clutch plate on an up change don't think its better.

Cheers Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Silvertruck on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:12 pm

PhilW wrote:
Silvertruck wrote:It's normal, apparently its better to hold power during shifts, my ve ss got tuned and they made it hold the revs

Why???

The gear box syncros and clutch plate on an up change don't think its better.

Cheers Phil

I dont fully know the reason behind it but seen it on more then just these cars, if i had a choice id rather it not hold the revs. talk to some tuners they might know.
Silvertruck

Postby singlemalt72 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm

I just picked up my new GLX 24 hours ago and I'm really noticing this effect as I drove around today.

It is certainly annoying for someone used to quick gear changes.
singlemalt72

Postby PhilW on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

There seems to be quite a few manual MN's with this engine flare issue of late.

Has any body managed to get rid of it via a Mitsubishi dealer service?

I keep getting told it is normal...... however that is BullS**t as plenty don't suffer this annoying fault.

Cheers Phil
Cheers Phil.
PhilW
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

PhilW wrote:There seems to be quite a few manual MN's with this engine flare issue of late.

Has any body managed to get rid of it via a Mitsubishi dealer service?

I keep getting told it is normal...... however that is BullS**t as plenty don't suffer this annoying fault.

Cheers Phil

I've noticed this in my ml from the first day o jumped in it..
I accepted it as normal as I know from my back ground
diesels are slower than petrol to return to idle
i have adjusted my driving style to it..it's worse when it's cold in the morning....
viking shippy

Postby Jaymac92 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm

My brand new MN GL-R manual does it and it drives me mad coming from my D22 3.0L Navara...
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby snowman on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 am

yep the new MN does it and it is a bit weird. Not sure if there is much you can do about it but in the MN you need to push the clutch in if you want to brake moderately hard as the damn thing keeps pushing. :evil:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby markwhybrow on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 am

Mitsubishi have updated there ecu to stop over boosting issues with there turbos now my triton 2011mn never had this problem until last update on ecu i have 75.000 km on clock now
markwhybrow

Postby Jaymac92 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 am

Technology. Pfft
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby aardvark on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:34 am

My new GLX does it. It's irritating, but I'm learning to live with it.
aardvark

Postby lachiem on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:00 am

My new GLX does it too, especially under hard acceleration when the boost is kicking in. I rolled the idea around a few mates more mechanically minded than myself and they agreed it was most likely excess pressure built up in the turbo and nothing too much to worry about. Im a pretty sedate drive most of the time so not really an issue
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby fm975 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 am

My 1000km gxl does it and so did the test car I drove. I have driven a 2.7l petrol (recent model Toyota Hilux that does it to. Gives one the tom tits, however I guess one good thing is that at least this problems means that the vehicle is still going at least.
fm975

Postby lachiem on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:26 am

mate with a turbo falcon thinks it helps prevent loosing all the boost when shifting up, which kind of make sense
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby Gixr.Thou on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:48 am

Hey,

I'm an IT geek at a school and have asked the school mech guys about this. One says the same as most here that it is excess pressure from the turbo bleeding off through the engine. Another claims that it is a setting in the ECU to maintain exhaust flow rate and reduce emissions and aid in meeting compliance and maintain engine power output.

I have experienced it before in the Missus Hyundai i30 turbo diesel when I thrashed the hell out of it up the back of Mt Hotham chasing mates on road bikes.

To start with it annoyed me in the new Triton but I have changed the way I drive and find that I take advantage of it. I reminds me a bit of the old days 'doubling the clutch' on Road Ranger transmissions that didn't have syncromesh. The slight hold of rev if you release the throttle pre clutch gives a nice little window to push it up to the next cog. I haven't tried yet but I dare say that it wouldn't be hard with this blip to clutchless up shift fairly smoothly.

You have all noted that it doesn't do it downshifting so it is fairly obviously tied into the throttle position as load is taken off the engine. Simply relieve the pressure prior to clutching and all is well. With a bit of practice you can even smooth it out while dragging off granny scooters at the lights. (Its still a heavy diesel) :)

I know it's not a useful contribution but I've read worse. If anybody discovers that its an actual fault I'll be interested to hear.

Cheers all
Geoff
Gixr.Thou

Postby lachiem on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:59 am

thanks mate thats a good bit of info there. I don't think I'll bother chasing the dealer about it on mine, its not like its affecting it in any major way and I dont mind driving it a bit softer to compensate for it.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:24 am

Gixr.Thou wrote:You have all noted that it doesn't do it downshifting

Has this been said? How could the car possibly know you are going to down-shift (unless changing from top gear)?

I must say that my MN 2.5 does this too. Only done 1400km's so far, and would perhaps suggest that it has got less noticeable. It is entirely possible that this is due to my being used to it now, and 'driving sympathetically to the problem', though I have not consciously done so.

I would also emphasise that, for me at least, it certainly occurs when 'off boost', so I don't think it is entirely down to the turbo, if at all.

Im most interested in the people with the 2.5D that DO NOT have the issue. If this truly is the case, then I would say it really is a fault. I had assumed that it was a Triton trait, but reading that not everyone experiences this has me confused. Perhaps it is possible that those NOT experiencing the problem tend to come off the throttle much earlier than the rest of us before depressing the clutch?
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby Gixr.Thou on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:29 pm

dbgalaxy5 wrote:
Gixr.Thou wrote:You have all noted that it doesn't do it downshifting

Has this been said? How could the car possibly know you are going to down-shift (unless changing from top gear)?

I don't think the car (ECU) knows you are going to down shift. But I don't know of anybody who accelerates at the same time or just prior to engaging the brake and clutch to down shift. I'm guessing that the time taken to move ones right foot to the brake pedal from the throttle is enough to alleviate the 'holding of rev' by the time you would depress the clutch with the left foot.

The more I think through the situation the more I notice finer aspects of it. If you depress the clutch pedal with equal engine effort:motion in relation to throttle position and release the throttle there is minimal rev hold. If you have depressed the throttle to a position beyond motion:engine effort as you depress the clutch the engine will rev to the point at which the throttle was depressed prior to depressing the clutch. The fact that this varies and revs seem to rise to match throttle position of an unloaded engine gives a fairly clear impression that the 'fly by wire' throttle position sensing is a key factor in the engine behaviour that we are experiencing. In short I would suggest that the ECU is responsible for 'holding' the throttle position for a period of time (<1sec) after the throttle is released or the clutch engagement sensor is activated. I don't think I have deliberately increased throttle after depressing the clutch to adequately confirm the latter portion of the previous statement.

I'm and Aspie (Aspergers) and tend to over analyse everything, especially mechanical things. Sorry.

Geoff
Gixr.Thou

Postby jhuckfeldt on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 pm

I heard it was something to do with an adaptive ecu. Depend on how u drive it, it may change it stay like that. Mine came from factory revving between gears but stopped after the 1st 3000km
jhuckfeldt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion