Engine holds its revs.

Anything Triton related

Re: Engine holds its revs.

Postby GLX58 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Definitely an interesting 'issue'. Mine goes in for a 1st 'service' this Friday but it is not bothering me much so don't think I'll raise it further. Service guy is adamant it is 'normal'....My new GLX manual does it, hot and cold.

As others have said what truly interests me is that some state their car does it and others don't, now it could be down to driving style, perception etc but seems unlikely some would never encounter it while still having it. this is very strange to me...(why do some need this 'correction'??)

Hilariously, I actually notice it less when cold than when hot, in direct contrast to others. Probably due to me nannying the car when it's still cold. It seems definitely linked to throttle sensors, mine flares much more when pushed hard. It is also becoming less noticeable overall, but yeah that could be me.

If it does indeed stop for some after awhile due to 'adapting' this also interests me: how does it know which driver with a particular driving style to adapt too?: I'm not really going to change my driving style but if it's useless i'd still like it to stop :lol:

If it helps beat the manifold clogging issue I definitely don't mind but it's a strange one.
GLX58

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

GLX58 wrote:Definitely an interesting 'issue'. Mine goes in for a 1st 'service' this Friday but it is not bothering me much so don't think I'll raise it further. Service guy is adamant it is 'normal'....My new GLX manual does it, hot and cold.

As others have said what truly interests me is that some state their car does it and others don't, now it could be down to driving style, perception etc but seems unlikely some would never encounter it while still having it. this is very strange to me...(why do some need this 'correction'??)

Hilariously, I actually notice it less when cold than when hot, in direct contrast to others. Probably due to me nannying the car when it's still cold. It seems definitely linked to throttle sensors, mine flares much more when pushed hard. It is also becoming less noticeable overall, but yeah that could be me.

If it does indeed stop for some after awhile due to 'adapting' this also interests me: how does it know which driver with a particular driving style to adapt too?: I'm not really going to change my driving style but if it's useless i'd still like it to stop :lol:

If it helps beat the manifold clogging issue I definitely don't mind but it's a strange one.

If I were you I'd mention it at the service even if you don't want to do anything about it just yet so that it's on record, then if later down the track you really want to pursue it further or it gets worse etc it'll be on record as the second or third time you are trying to get it sorted.
Amaroo

Postby Bunga181 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 pm

I was told at the 1500 check up that it was to do with the drive by wire set up. Just as it takes the sensors etc a while to open the taps when we put our feet down, it takes a while to back off when we change gears. I would be interested to hear from some of our brethren with sprint/wind boosters to see if they reduce or remove the revs holding or whether it is simply a matter of adjusting driving style to suit.
Bunga181

Postby bigcol on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:12 pm

My 2013 plated 2.5 has only done it once, when I was putting along in heavy traffic and was short shifting at low revs.

Driving normally it doesn't do it at all
bigcol

Postby biggibbo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Must be a new thing on new builds as my 2010 doesn't do it sprint booster or not
biggibbo

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:06 pm

My MN does it, too. I don't really care, I've adapted to it and it's almost un-noticed. Most times I just lift a fraction earlier to change gears and adjust my driving style to the other little foibles, like the FBW lag, etc. :D
AussieTriton

Throttle body problems

Postby Micksmitsoute on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi, I have just purchased my first mitsu triton 2009 4x2 tray back 2.5 td manual 64000 kms. Love it to bits but have one problem . I've noticed that once i take my foot off the pedal the engine stays at the current rpm for a second then shuts off and begins to decelerate. Is it an electronic problem or is it part of a carbon problem that i've been reading about ? Very sorry if this is a repost of a repost of a repost . Cheers Mick :)
Micksmitsoute

Re: Throttle body problems

Postby hvac guy on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:15 pm

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Throttle body problems

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks hvac.

Locked for now, please continue discussion in the linked thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm

My 2011 mn has never done this! Or I just haven't noticed it. :-?:lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Some seem to do it more than others from what I've seen. :?

I have driven SRB's MN, his and mine seem to be very alike although his can smoke the tyres in third ATM. :o :lol: :lol:

I drove a 2013 Manual recently and it seems very annoying in comparison. Makes a smooth and fast up shift almost impossible. :( Be fine for flat changes thou. :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 pm

:lol::lol: yeah those KM2'S are even looking more 2nd hand now.:lol:

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:33 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: They were nice and sticky when we got back. :lol: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah and all the neighbors have complained about the rubber you left on our road. :twisted: :lol:

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Was that your street. :? :oops: :oops: It was an accident, honestly... you know... the calm before the storm thing. :roll: :lol: :lol:

What have we done to this thread. :roll:

Well, bottom line is, yours and mine do not hold their revs on overrun.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 am

:lol::lol: yeah get back on topic and give these guys an answer on their malfunctioning MN's. :lol:

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 am

I wish I had the answer but haven't found one yet. :? :oops: Need one to fiddle with. There would be a way to stop it. Even if electronic trickery is used.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hcr83 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:15 am

FYI - I have an MN 2012 model 2.5TD with a sprint booster and I certainly don't have any rev holding happening, however both my mates have the same vehicle expect 2013 models and they do it but they DON'T have sprint boosters.
It is what it is...
hcr83

Postby viking shippy on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:20 am

Drive any other deisel tuck or boat and you will find the same deal
diesels take a little longer to return to idle...than petrol engines..
I've been told by a marine engineer that it's because of the compression ratio and
Exasibated by a turbo....
viking shippy

Postby Danos on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Hey guys

Yes, it happens on my new MN purchased in Nov 2013. Real pain in the backside. I just drove another slightly older MN (April 2012) and it did not have any issues. Good pickup, gears smooth, no over revving. It has about 30,000km on it and mine only 5000km.

The VIN is MMAJNKB40CD0029xx

My model VIN is MMAJNKB40ED0052xx

I will take the service man for a drive when it gets its first service and see what he thinks. My only other gripe is the car jolts (or bunny hops) when going really slow in 1st and you take the foot off the accelerator. Difficult when trying to drive over rocky ground.

Thanks
Dane
Danos

Postby salt36 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:58 pm

My 2012 work ute does both the above, very annoying... the bunny hops are a whole lot worse with the A/C on...

The service guys say it is normal :roll: Good luck mate, hope you get a fix for them.

I am used to it and keep the revs up slightly to around 1000 rpm 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Thommo3337 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:18 pm

so we now use more fuel and possibly burn the clutch out so that they dont have to clean the manifold out?
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Jaymac92 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:35 pm

My old mans single cab triton exactly one month older than my dual cab triton (both 2013 models with 10,000+ kms each) does NOT hold the revs when changing gears even when cold whereas mine does it all the time and even longer when the vehicle is cold....
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby Robby on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 am

Just adding to the thread I have just purchased a MY 14 which also holds and increases its revs but never from cold. Most noticeable once you first drive car untill warm, turn off then drive again. What I find annoying is the inconsistency some days really bad other days only slightly and on the rare occasion nothing at all.
After reading this thread called the sales guy who told me its something he has never experienced and to call the service department, there response was sound pretty normal to me but hey we may reset the computer on the 1500klm service.
This is my 3rd triton never had this issue before.
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX58 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 am

Think I've posted some of this elsewhere. I am one to try get to the bottom of mysteries, or at least get things in writing. Queried Mitsu head office about this last year.

They did answer parts of my query, but danced around others...basically they couldn't answer why some new cars do it and some don't. And they state it is supposed to do it from the MY13'

Here's their replies:

'Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) advise that this is to design. The engine revolution is slowly brought down to countermeasure for acceleration and deceleration shock.

As this is to design we do not consider it to be a fault and therefore there is no hotline fix or updates etc.

Thank you for your enquiry.'

Then when asked further why on some cars and not others and whether it is adaptive:

'Further to our email below, please be advised our Manager of Technical Support has advised that the change was introduced at 13MY Triton and we do not believe it will change with adaptive learning.'

Of interest mine calmed down around 6500kms. Can barely even notice it now. Only really if I am accelerating quite hard, or by concentrating on watching the rev needle hang. Random!
GLX58

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion