Exhaust Thoughts?

Anything Triton related

Re: Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby patrolus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 am

vol wrote:Just spoke with lad at local exhaust shop and he told me not to go stainless as when its hot off turbo then go through water they split, I've looked on the site and haven't found anyone talking about it. Has anyone had this problem as in about to order 3" roo system and was after Ss as do bit of beach driving

I say bullshit. ss is used in high temp applications for a reason.... (e.g. cooling trays that take 1200 deg liquid glass etc) so the bit of heat from a car engine and shock cooling wouldn't do f...all. let me guess, that local expert does not sell ss systems? lol
patrolus

Postby Tom B on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

Entirely depends on what grade ss is used, we use either 904 or 2205 here at work for the water mixers of the back of the turbos, but both these grades are a fair few more $$ than say 304 or 316
No more Triton....

Now where did I leave that Patrol ;)
Tom B

Postby fez on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 am

you would have to be very unlucky for it to crack but as Tom B has said depends on the grade.

Ian
QLD & NT Technical manager for Suzuki Marine
fez

Postby Bigbirdalx on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 am

When i called Beaudessert exhaust a 2n3/4 was alot more then the scotts 3in. Like nearly a extra 1k$, sort hard to justify the xtra cash for a 6mm smaller diameter.
Has anyone actually done a dyno test for the MN showing before and after for ither exhaust?
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 am

I've been running my full 3" stainless turbo back exhust for over a year and a half now. No dramas other than being a tad loud. Put a 3" stainless cat in and it took a bit of noise out and made it better .
Performance was noticable low down and fuel economy was better too
TUFF TROOP

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:
There used to be a place on ebay based at Parramatta I thought it was. Snowman will remember because I pointed him to it ages ago and he said he'd been there before. I can't see them on there now but it was maybe something obvious like Parramatta Exhausts. They could be a potential option for you if I can work out who it was.

Yep sorry i missedthis but will add for posterity. Parramatta Exhaust Centre. 6 Barney St NORTH PARRAMATTA, NSW, 2151

so i have not used them for a longtime. BUT they have been there since the 80's, so they must be doing something right.

Tony had the Sterling and you wont want to ask him about it without some form of earplugs. :lol: :lol: :lol: Very poor.

Beaudesert (which i have) is well manufactured BUT i had fitting issues that needed a bracket modified and if you dont have the tools you would have been in trouble.

Scott Rods seem to have sold a lot of 3 inch and at a good price.

my BD is barely noticable for noise. no droning at all.

i do need to modify it as i was under the car and noticed the tail pipe is hard against the 32" spare and has hardened the tread face :evil: .

although i dont regret my purchase and i bought it during a BD special, i would go a 3" Scott Rods with CAT only. sounds pretty good. if you dont like the extra noise/legal issues, get the muffler.

as said below, if you are not screwing extra horses out of it, dont waste your coin.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am

TUFF TROOP wrote:I've been running my full 3" stainless turbo back exhust for over a year and a half now. No dramas other than being a tad loud. Put a 3" stainless cat in and it took a bit of noise out and made it better .
Performance was noticable low down and fuel economy was better too

if wrong i stand corrected.

but by saying "No dramas other than being a tad loud" do you really mean - "i got defected and had to put a cat in it" ????? :? :?
Last edited by snowman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am

I've been running my full 3" stainless turbo back exhust for over a year and a half now. No dramas other than being a tad loud. Put a 3" stainless cat in and it took a bit of noise out and made it better .
Performance was noticable low down and fuel economy was better too. And the sound is awesome!
TUFF TROOP

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am

it has been said before, but it is worth saying again to all the new lurkers.

don't run a straight 3" with no cat and exhaust. it is, apart from being illegal, too loud and WILL draw attention.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Also be aware that in some (but by no means all) cases the MNs will have problems with a larger exhaust. There's no way of knowing in advance but they can be prone to overboost and other issues with larger exhausts. You just need to be conscious of the fact that once you start fiddling with stuff, if it goes wrong for you Mitsubishi will point to your mods if they can be related. As with anything there are cures for the overboost problems out there but you won't be getting them from your dealer any time soon.

I reckon if I was trying to get extra power/performance from an MN I'd be starting off with chips and throttle boosters before exploring exhausts.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Didn't get a defect . Got told it was a bit too loud for his opinion. As we're the tyres hanging out the flares a tad. And pillar gauges.

Any aftermarket modification is illegal in most states. I actually am a vic roads licenced tester etc as well as working in the workshop.

It's all personal preference . I put the cat In to quoeten it down a little bit which it has. At 110kph I can't even hear the car . No drone at all.
TUFF TROOP

Postby Calblitzen on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:15 pm

TUFF TROOP wrote:Any aftermarket modification is illegal in most states. I actually am a vic roads licenced tester etc as well as working in the workshop

Is that a case of do as I say not as I do.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby GLR2012 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I asked them ( MIT ) about an exhaust they said not to do the zorst but ( under the table ) a gentleman told me to put a chip on it, one that didn't show up on a diagnostic test and to take it off when it gets serviced. Exhausts will automatically no matter what void your warranty. An un traceable chip is fine if u take it off before a service and put it back on once your car is back.
GLR2012

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Also be aware that in some (but by no means all) cases the MNs will have problems with a larger exhaust. There's no way of knowing in advance but they can be prone to overboost and other issues with larger exhausts. You just need to be conscious of the fact that once you start fiddling with stuff, if it goes wrong for you Mitsubishi will point to your mods if they can be related. As with anything there are cures for the overboost problems out there but you won't be getting them from your dealer any time soon.

I reckon if I was trying to get extra power/performance from an MN I'd be starting off with chips and throttle boosters before exploring exhausts.

All good dave, id just perfer a good sounding car, coming from a STi wrx, kinda miss that deep noise
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby badenglxr on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Had a Look with the good old trusty SEARCH FORUM button but no answer. My question is, one of my mates who owns a 2011 D22 has just had a exhaust mob tell him that changing the exhaust may throw his car into a limp mode. They say is the because removing the stock exhaust it take out the DPF (diesel particul filter) sensor.

Is this true? Does the triton do the samething or what's the go? Just wondering from a few of the blokes who know? I want to upgrade but need a clarification.
badenglxr

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Thankfully, the Triton doesn't have a crappy DPF like the Navara does mate.

Removing the DPF doesn't cause limp modes anyway.....just done it with our Paj :D

Chip it sell a "DPF delete pipe" which lets him plug the sensors back in to make it "look" like it's still there :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby macca002 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Any chance of a couple of vids of the 3" at idle/3" being driven VS stock with muffler removed at idle/driven.

I have heard a hilux with its muffler removed, and at idle it sounded really good. Being driven it tended to drone.
macca002

Postby badenglxr on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:59 pm

The triton pulls thru again with the goods! Thanks for that al coholic ill pass the word on.
badenglxr

Postby badenglxr on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Just making sure both the MN and ML don't have DPF
badenglxr

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

badenglxr wrote:Just making sure both the MN and ML don't have DPF

No, neither
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby badenglxr on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Little ripper thanks bud
badenglxr

Postby shortSteve on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm

I fitted up a Beaudesert 2.75in system with high flow cat and muffler, initially noticed that the boost came on around 200rpm earlier and midrange throttle response was also greatly improved over the very laggy std setup. Added a K&N filter and had a very marginal improvement, but mostly in intake noise (hehe)
Had issues with the dump pipe bracket, bent it with a big shifter, used a longer bolt to draw it into position, then all worked fine. Have done 3000km's with it now, still can hardly hear it over the intake, but have been told from behind it sounds a lil "meatier", not louder just a deeper tone. On long climbs at around 2200rpm under load, do get a slight droning, nothing a flex of the right ankle or gear change doesn't remove though. Oh, and did get a slight fuel economy benefit aswell, worked out to be about the same amount as i have now lost running bigger tyres hahaha.
shortSteve

Postby badenglxr on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm

good little review there shortsteve :D
badenglxr

Postby trouble on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 am

Its pretty much the same for the 3" as shortsteve explains, I only went the 3 as it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the 2.75" at the time I was researching. ;)
All this is from my experience only!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby srb on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm

I got the 3'' Scotts exhaust on my MN... Main reason I got it was to lower my EGT's when running the Chipit, which it did do by about 90 degrees ;) The exhaust alone didn't improve performance that much in the lower rpm but has helped it once above 2000rpm. I tried it without the chip first and can too say you'd be wasting your money doing the exhaust upgrade without a chip or some sort tuning. Also with out tuning there is a small chance your MN could throw an over boost code with larger than stock exhaust. Has happened apparently. :?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion