Exhaust Thoughts?

Anything Triton related

Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby mattz on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 am

If you're replacing your exhaust it would be worth replacing the bolts at the dump pipe/turbo, no matter how good they look. Or even better replace them with studs.

Unfortunately I had to remove the dump pipe after only being fitted for a month and both bolts bound up (about halfway out) when removing them resulting in one of them snapping. :roll: They looked perfect when I installed the system so I suspect they don't like being reused.

After 5hrs of drilling resulting in a number of snapped drill bits, one snapped easy out and a number of blunt drill bits the two existing bolts were replaced with studs.

Luckily the bolt was drilled out dead centre (more ass than class) and the thread in the turbo remained undamaged :shock: ran a tap through to be sure.

So an hour and a half job turned in to a day and a half job. :roll:

It may already be mentioned but for anyone else in the same boat.........
Exhaust bolt size and thread pitch is 10x1.25.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Re: Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 am

Did you use any anti sieze goop such as copper coat when you originally reassembled the bits mattz?

Studs used with brass or copper plated nuts should prevent future issues.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby mattz on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:13 am

RHKTriton wrote:Did you use any anti sieze goop such as copper coat when you originally reassembled the bits mattz?

Studs used with brass or copper plated nuts should prevent future issues.

No but they had a very significant coating of freeze and release crc and wd40 when they were originally removed and they were only on for another month.

They weren't seized as such. They were fine for the first half of the thread and then bound up to a point where you had to work them back and forth which leads to believe the thread may have stretched and jumped a thread or something like that.

Id recommend replacing the bolts with studs.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:02 am

And use the copper anti-seize stuff on them...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby hxshagginwagon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:43 am

The following link was posted earlier in this thread. I see that these exhausts are still available. Has anyone purchased one of these or can anyone provide their thoughts on them as im interested in buying one. Would the 2 1/2 inch be sufficient as a performance upgrade when used with a tune. Ive read that a 3 inch system is never fully utilised as the standard turbo cant flow enough and that the optimum size would be 2 3/4.

Thoughts
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 25&alt=web
ML GLX-R 3.2TD 5-Speed 2008 MY09

HXshagginwagon is my other ride!
hxshagginwagon

Postby scumbag on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:31 am

with turbos bigger is better when it comes to exhaust.
scumbag

Postby Naff on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:39 am

scumbag wrote:with turbos bigger is better when it comes to exhaust.

That's not an accurate statement at all.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby mattz on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:11 pm

hxshagginwagon wrote:The following link was posted earlier in this thread. I see that these exhausts are still available. Has anyone purchased one of these or can anyone provide their thoughts on them as im interested in buying one. Would the 2 1/2 inch be sufficient as a performance upgrade when used with a tune. Ive read that a 3 inch system is never fully utilised as the standard turbo cant flow enough and that the optimum size would be 2 3/4.

Thoughts

I thought that too,until recently and I was informed that's a mn thing for the 2:5.
You have the ml with 3.2 yeah?
I doubt that 2 1/2 inch system would make a lot of difference ........I thought the stock system was 2 1/2 inch. :?
Have a look at Dea they advertise on eBay. I recently purchased a full 3 inch system from them and it was just over $500 from memory. Seems to be work well with my chip. I haven't worked out if the turbo kicks in earlier or just spools up quicker. Either way it's an improvement on the stock system.

Edit.....forgot to quote. :roll:
Last edited by mattz on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby viking shippy on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Bs
viking shippy

Postby hxshagginwagon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:56 pm

mattz wrote:
hxshagginwagon wrote:The following link was posted earlier in this thread. I see that these exhausts are still available. Has anyone purchased one of these or can anyone provide their thoughts on them as im interested in buying one. Would the 2 1/2 inch be sufficient as a performance upgrade when used with a tune. Ive read that a 3 inch system is never fully utilised as the standard turbo cant flow enough and that the optimum size would be 2 3/4.

Thoughts

I thought that too,until recently and I was informed that's a mn thing for the 2:5.
You have the ml with 3.2 yeah?
I doubt that 2 1/2 inch system would make a lot of difference ........I thought the stock system was 2 1/2 inch. :?
Have a look at Dea they advertise on eBay. I recently purchased a full 3 inch system from them and it was just over $500 from memory. Seems to be work well with my chip. I haven't worked out if the turbo kicks in earlier or just spools up quicker. Either way it's an improvement on the stock system.

Edit.....forgot to quote. :roll:

ML 3.2 correct, I thought the standard was just over 2 inch but you maybe right at 2.5, I have never looked. All the good feedback comes from the DEA systems so I will probably go that way. I was only looking at the other system for cost saving and hoping it would have the same outcome.

To people who have the 3inch fitted with a muffler on the 3.2 "Is it still a reasonably quite ride for the back seat passengers, why producing a nice note and turbo whistle?"

hxshagginwagon

Postby mattz on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm

hxshagginwagon wrote:
To people who have the 3inch fitted with a muffler on the 3.2 "Is it still a reasonably quite ride for the back seat passengers, why producing a nice note and turbo whistle?"

That's a perfect description.
I haven't sat in the back,myself but I've ask the passengers who have and they've said it fine.
I assume you're in Melb, seeing you were asking about tuners in another thread, you're welcome to have a listen/drive if you want.
Only problem is I live on the mornington peninsula but I work in dandenong if that's any help.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby hxshagginwagon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:53 pm

mattz wrote:
hxshagginwagon wrote:
I haven't sat in the back,myself but I've ask the passengers who have and they've said it fine.
I assume you're in Melb, seeing you were asking about tuners in another thread, you're welcome to have a listen/drive if you want.
Only problem is I live on the mornington peninsula but I work in dandenong if that's any help.

I appreciate your offer Mat.

Unfortunately I live and work north of the city but every now and again I work around the dandy area. If I'm down that way in the near future I'll be sure to look you up. At the end of the day I will go with the 3inch system.

Your right about my post in the ecuTek thread, I'm yet to hear from anyone who has had a tune in the area.

hxshagginwagon

Postby scumbag on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Naff wrote:

explain ?
scumbag

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Beyond a certain sweet spot (which differs from turbo to turbo, engine to engine) the bigger the exhaust the worse your turbo performance will be.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Airved on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Noticed the turbo whistle from my DEA exhaust sounded a little raspy over the last week, so I popped the bonnet and found the dump pipe cracked at the turbo. Emailing DEA about their 2-year warranty at the moment :(
Airved

Postby Jimy89 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Airved wrote:Noticed the turbo whistle from my DEA exhaust sounded a little raspy over the last week, so I popped the bonnet and found the dump pipe cracked at the turbo. Emailing DEA about their 2-year warranty at the moment :(

That sucks! I installed the DEA 3" straight through 2 weeks ago and under full load from about 2500-3000 onwards im starting to get a slightly high pitch whistle. I though it might be one of my intercooler pipes, but I guess I'll have a look at mine too now! Where was the crack?
Jimy89

Postby motoz on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:34 pm

I've been reading of a few that have let go...
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Airved on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 pm

The crack is pretty much all the way around the pipe, right before the weld at the top. It's a straight piece of pipe before the first bend, so should be a simple repair, but I'm hoping they'll just replace it. I can see from the stains around it that it got wet at some point from water splashing up through the engine bay and I'm guessing that's what did it. I haven't even taken the car deeper than the side steps though, so if that is what caused it to crack, it doesn't say much for the build quality of an exhaust designed for 4wd's.

Most annoying thing is, service is coming up in 2 weeks and I don't want the dealer to see it cracked so I'm gonna have to refit the stock pipe if it's not sorted by then.
Airved

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Wrap it in heat wrap? Put the stock heat shield around it (if it will fit...)

When things are being built to a price as these are there's bound to be a few more failures.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:14 pm

not welded properly and the tube has fatuiged from the weld
is there a bracket that holds the dump pipe to the gearbox??
if not it could be a vibration and broke
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Airved on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:31 pm

There is a bracket, but the bolts didn't fit through it, so I couldn't attach it. If that is the case, then it's my bad and I shouldn't have been lazy and let it hang off the hangers alone. It seemed stable enough though. Did anyone else with DEA exhaust have the same bracket problem?
Airved

Postby Jimy89 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Yeah mate, exact problem. Holes were way out. Didn't bother die grinding them out because it was solid as a rock and got no vibration noises from them rubbing
Jimy89

Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby mattz on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:09 am

I gave my bracket a slight tweak with a hammer to line it up and then I loosely fitted the dump pipe bolts and didn't have an issue getting that bolt in.
That bolt is awkward to get to and time consuming to tighten up without a ratchet spanner. :roll: Sounds like I'm lucky I spent an extra couple of minutes to get that bolt in.

DEA are pretty good to deal with when there is a problem. 8-)
I recently snapped a bolt off in the back of the turbo, when I was removing the dump pipe, due to a stripped egt bung blanking bolt which may have been done by either me or them.
They couldn't do enough to help me sent me home with bolts, studs and extra larger studs just in case I had to drill it out larger and retap it.
He also mentioned removing the turbo and brining it in for them to do but it was a bit late in the day and I want to get it going to drive to work on the Monday. I'm sure they would have done it for free too.

It's not just a DEA issue as I know of others that aren't "built to a price" and have failed in the same place.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby ag9111 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:40 am

scumbag wrote:
Naff wrote:

explain ?

Turbo's do like some back pressure, particularly the 2.5 MN to stop overboosting
and runaway.

They just handle bigger exhausts than petrol engines
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitch_o on Fri May 01, 2015 11:25 am

Has anyone had any dealings with the 4wdsupercentre exhausts by Berklee??

They look alright, seems reasonable price, I wonder how they would fit up and sound??

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/product ... -2010.html
mitch_o

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion