THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby spiker on Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:22 pm

ag9111 wrote:Update on my Alpha canopy.
Was on the ute when i purchased it 2nd hand with 9,500km on it in 2014. Ute now has 125,000km
Not happy.
All seals are stuffed. They are just disintergrating where they are exposed to the sun.
The gel coat seems to have a clear coat over it and that is breaking down. Looks crap on a white vehicle as dirt gets under it and it stands out.
Inside rear door mech keeps falling apart. About to replace that for the second time and will locktite everything up before install. Very expensive parts wise.
Side windows have never been close to looking like being waterproof, even when newish.
I have seen 3 other alpha canopies exibiting the same issues as the first 2 listed. 1 white, 2 grey Seems to be common issues.
Would not recommend or purchase.

I too am very disappointed in my Alpha canopy. Window seals perished not long out of warranty and I replaced them myself as the price quoted by Caddy was exorbitant. The clear coat has broken down and looks crap. Rear lock is on its way out.
Nothing in life is as simple as it first appears.
spiker
Platinum Subscriber

Postby luckey on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:39 am

I've been offered a used Avenger XTC canopy for my ML Triton, it looks good and price is right, but my ML has a factory over-rail Tuf Dek so the canopy clamps can't grip beneath the deck edge rail. Is there a solution, can I just cut slots in the Tuf Dek to suit the clamps? Not worried about appearance - just want it to work! cheers
luckey

Classic Canopy - Generic Internal Frame

Postby Choady on Sun May 24, 2020 11:34 am

G'day all,

Been a long time since I posted and things been going real well with my ML Triton that I've had since new.

I have Rhino Heavy Duty Roof racks with a Rhino Pinoeer tray over the cab. Been working a treat, but as the kids are getting older I am struggling with space and thinking of putting some racks on the canopy. I would fit a solar panel on half and the other would be for things like boogy boards, kite surfing gear etc. Not too heavy but bulky.

I have an ARB classic canopy and looked at getting the ARB internal frame fitted but because of the 45L over arch water tank I have fitted at the front of the tray combined with the bulky design of the mount and frame it wont fit. They said I would have to get a new water tank which I really don't want to do as its extra expense and a lot of work to pull out all my drawer and plumbing/wiring setup to do.

At this website I found a generic internal frame that looks good and I think will fit fine given its design. There are some good photos at the following link

https://roofrack.com.au/product/canopy- ... ack-2-bar/

Just interested to know if anyone has had experience or knowledge fitting this or something similar? Keen to check before I burn $650 on the frame and another set of heavy duty bars.

There is not much in the forum about non ARB internal frames.
Choady

How to choose a canopy.

Postby WhiteTritonMN on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:35 am

Hi,

How do I choose a canopy? I'm looking at the used market due to the price difference which means I'm kinda stuck with what little becomes available in Brisbane.

So what's the difference between a genuine Mitsubishi canopy and say an Ironman canopy. One might have central locking and the other might not. But will both be able to install roof racks and a pop-up tent on top?

Thanks.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
WhiteTritonMN

Postby XGRUMPIG on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:24 pm

got quick ?
I have a mitsu canopy on my ml says it holds 50kgs is wanting to know is that tottal or each rail?
its got sliding windos can they be changed to lift up ones?

has anyone fitted the re inforcements posted above or made there own ? wanting to put a RTT on the canopy.
XGRUMPIG

Postby csomole on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm

What is the recommended care for old canopies?
Our flexiglass one has a matte white surface, almost chalk-like.
Presumably this is a sign of deterioration and should be fixed for longevity: what do you suggest?
csomole

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Paint or gelcoat?

Either way, take off the oxidised surface with an appropriate compound. Then polish.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby NathanG88 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:12 pm

Hey all
Just picked up a second hand ARB canopy with internal bracing. wondering if its ment to have some sort of seal kit or one that i can buy dosnt seem to sit right.( fouls on tail gate by couple mms and huge gap at the front between the tub and canopy) Tubs black Tritons gray

Click to view larger picture20230119_174256 by Nathan Green, on Flickr
NathanG88

Postby Enid_Triton on Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:34 pm

spiker wrote:
ag9111 wrote:Update on my Alpha canopy.
Was on the ute when i purchased it 2nd hand with 9,500km on it in 2014. Ute now has 125,000km
Not happy.
All seals are stuffed. They are just disintergrating where they are exposed to the sun.
The gel coat seems to have a clear coat over it and that is breaking down. Looks crap on a white vehicle as dirt gets under it and it stands out.
Inside rear door mech keeps falling apart. About to replace that for the second time and will locktite everything up before install. Very expensive parts wise.
Side windows have never been close to looking like being waterproof, even when newish.
I have seen 3 other alpha canopies exibiting the same issues as the first 2 listed. 1 white, 2 grey Seems to be common issues.
Would not recommend or purchase.

I too am very disappointed in my Alpha canopy. Window seals perished not long out of warranty and I replaced them myself as the price quoted by Caddy was exorbitant. The clear coat has broken down and looks crap. Rear lock is on its way out.

My Caddy Alpha Canopy is a pig also. The jell coat under the paint & the clear coat on top of the paint are both cracking like crazy. Mine has the lift windows and the entire Right hand side glass including the full Aluminum frame just flew out and landed on the side of the highway, amazingly it did not break or even get a scratch on it other then for two broken strut ends..
No wonder it flew out because I was able to put the whole thing back in by myself on the side of the road just using a flat bladed screwdriver. The window frames are held in by a soft rubber seal which on mine is a pretty loose fit around the fiberglass.
In My Opinion you should Steer clear of these canopies because even though they may look good they are as rough as guts & Caddy don't want to know you unless you want to pay for their services.
Almost forgot, the rear tailgate lift window lock is dodgy too and takes a lot of key wiggling to open it, sometimes I just give up and go through the side windows instead.
Enid_Triton

Previous

Return to General Discussion