THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby tezza8 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi Guys,
has anyone made an internal frame for their canopy.
I have Mitsubishi supplied canopy , it can only take 20kg and want to build a frame.
any help or photos would be appreciated.
tezza8

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi gang, I've been offered to rehome a canopy from a work colleague, it's sat outside for a long time but looks pretty good. I don't know anything about them, it seems so heavy! I've spent all my time trying to make my triton lighter but I'm completely interested in this thing. I would take the racks straight off and tidy the whole thing up but the rear glass seal at the bottom, can it be replaced? I've never thought that I would need a canopy but keep thinking how nifty it would look

Click to view larger picture

Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby Joel on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Jump on it mate and never look back. I always thought canopys were for people who didnt need utes. Thats till i got one and now i wonder how i did without it. The rubbers can be replaced and new locks are not to expensive.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby sydneymark on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:02 pm

tezza8 wrote:Hi Guys,
has anyone made an internal frame for their canopy.
I have Mitsubishi supplied canopy , it can only take 20kg and want to build a frame.
any help or photos would be appreciated.

i have a friend who has the same thing and might be interested in a solution, I am lucky in that i have the arb canopy with the HD roof rack kit, solid as a rock
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 pm

If I was to take the roof racks off this flexiglass canopy, would I be able to take all the frame out of the inside seeing as no weight would be put on top?
Do the bars do anything other than support the racks?

dieselweasel

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm no expert but to me those internal bars look to be purely weight bearing for the roof rack, I would imagine you could easily remove those if the racks are not wanted / needed.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:54 pm

I've only seen it just the once but I'm sure they can be removed. That'll save me a bit of unnecessary weight
dieselweasel

Postby Pete_79 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Pete_79 wrote:I finally got my leaking Flexiglass canopy fixed.

The dealer tried his best to avoid me, as expected. But after a week or so of getting a phone call at 9am every morning asking when it would be fixed he finally gave me a contact at Flexiglass and I could deal direct.

The guys at Flexiglass where pretty good.
They hosed it down agreed that it leaked and said the windows hadn't been seated properly.
When he showed me it was obvious, the top of the window in the driver's side sat out about 10mm more then the passengers side.

The solution?
Sikaflex, obviously.......

They just pumped both sides full of Sikaflex and called it done.

Well it doesn't leak anymore, so I guess that's a good thing.

FYI,
While I was waiting for the Sikaflex repair I asked the girl behind the counter about a sliding window to replace the drop down one in the front of the canopy (so I can use the back window into the cab easier).
Apparently all Flexiglass canopies are now made in Thailand and there's a 14 week wait on a new front window.

Sikaflex fix didn't work, still leaks, a lot.

Now one of the catches on the back window jams open and the back won't latch shut properly anymore.

I had a flexiglass canopy on my old commodore ute and used to think they where a good product.

My advice to anyone that asks now;
Don't waste your money on one.
Pete_79

Postby paddstar69 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Couple of photos of the custom canopy i had made for the triton sitting on a custom tray. Pretty happy with finished look.
http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/padds ... sort=3&o=0

Click on link
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tondo12 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:28 pm

I have a Genuine Triton Fitted on my MN, Im wondering if anyone knows where I can get Flyscreens fitted by any chance?
tondo12

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:43 pm

tondo12 wrote:I have a Genuine Triton Fitted on my MN, Im wondering if anyone knows where I can get Flyscreens fitted by any chance?

Would probably help if you gave a location ;)
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tondo12 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:57 pm

explorer.dave wrote:
tondo12 wrote:I have a Genuine Triton Fitted on my MN, Im wondering if anyone knows where I can get Flyscreens fitted by any chance?

Would probably help if you gave a location ;)
Brisbane NorthSide
tondo12

Postby salt36 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:33 pm

paddstar69 wrote:Couple of photos of the custom canopy i had made for the triton sitting on a custom tray. Pretty happy with finished look.

Click on link

Looks great mate, very tidy 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:10 pm

A few posts above I showed photos of a flexiglass canopy, its now on my ute and I'm real happy with it, as I got it second hand, im not sure if there may be some protective foam on the underside of the canopy to protect the top of the tray, I used my goldfish brain and stuck strips of lino on just for a quick fix until I can get a second away from fathering a newborn and get to clark rubber.
The rear of the canopy sits on two rubber feet and the front sits on a rubber strip, there is a gap either side between tray and canopy, is this right or should it be packed with something?
dieselweasel

Postby Pete_79 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:00 am

Should have a foam insert along all edges, unless you don't mind dust and water in there.

You can get cheap rolls of insertion rubber/foam from the likes of Clark Rubber.
Pete_79

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:10 am

paddstar69 wrote:Couple of photos of the custom canopy i had made for the triton sitting on a custom tray. Pretty happy with finished look.

Click on link

Looks great!
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scott_ on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of a canopy that will fit without the cab protector being cut off?
Iv got a 2010 mn GLX so it has the cab protector on the tub, I'd prefer to keep this so that when I carry stuff without the canopy it's still there.
Cheers, Scott
Scott_

THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby dan.batto on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:29 pm

I can't guarantee there aren't any but the whole reason they are cut off is so the canopy can sit on that back rail and help create a proper watertight seal. Only way I could see this being possible would be going with a custom aluminium box or smaller canopy from a different make and run a big risk it will leak like crazy
dan.batto

Postby Scott_ on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 am

That's a good point, I was hoping there would be one on the market that might go 'over' the cab protector. Or have a rubber two piece rubber seal along the edge of the tub and canopy.
Scott_

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:51 pm

If you end up taking the headboard off, please don't do it in a hurry like I did.....

dieselweasel

Postby Crash486 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:54 am

If you cut the headboard off, couldn't you reuse it by sleeving the tube, dropping it back in and locking it off with pins or bolts? Just a thought.
Crash486

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:14 am

Crash486 wrote:If you cut the headboard off, couldn't you reuse it by sleeving the tube, dropping it back in and locking it off with pins or bolts? Just a thought.

The headboard has to be cut flush with the tub, so you could put some nutserts in the tub lip, then weld some flanges onto the bottom of the headboard. Then you could simply bolt it on when required.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scott_ on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:30 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Crash486 wrote:If you cut the headboard off, couldn't you reuse it by sleeving the tube, dropping it back in and locking it off with pins or bolts? Just a thought.

The headboard has to be cut flush with the tub, so you could put some nutserts in the tub lip, then weld some flanges onto the bottom of the headboard. Then you could simply bolt it on when required.

My thought exactly, I'd be keeping it and modifying to be able to reattach when needed. I'm hesitant to remove it but it looks like there isn't any canopies that allow you to keep it
Scott_

Postby bgs on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Are the Factory fitted Canopies glued into place ? I need to remove mine I undid the four brackets but it won't budge.

Thanks
bgs

Postby kevin on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:22 am

Shouldn't be....maybe just a bit tacky on the seal. (I hope not as I have to remove a friend's factory canopy soon)
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion