THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby schimno on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:04 pm

From what I can gather there must be a big isue with the canopies being water tight. I have a razor back on my triton...Water tight totally as the vehicle sits out in the rain and no leaking, don't know about dust but least it's not water :D, nice gap between canopy and car roof, windows are tinted to almost the same as the triton (can't see through unless smudging ones nose against the glass) and central locking......damn absolute gods send... I'm so happy with the canopy..It took me over 12 mnths to decide and yes very happy with it all....suits the car to a tee :D :D :D
"Its not what you do, its how you do it"
schimno

Postby tassietriton on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Anyone got any measurements on how much higher the highest point of their canopy is than the highest point of the roof.
I only have 196cm clearance in the basement at work and, with my Dobi's suspension, the highest point of the roof is 186cm high - so I only have 100mm to spare.
tassietriton

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:23 pm

My factory cannopy is getting fitted on tuesday... :D
GLX-R Alex

Postby Seana on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 am

Does anybody have a guess at how long it will take before after-market canopies for the MN will be available? I am planning on buying one in December, would like to get a canopy but not a factory one.

I emailed ARB, but no response....

Cheers
Sean
Seana

Postby Buzzy on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 pm

I wouldnt imagine you will see any this year Seana.
At least not by ARB anyway if their last effort was anything to go by.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby tassie_ml on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:12 pm

has anyone got an Ironman canopy or seen them in the flesh, they look similar to the carryboy canopy.

any pics of them on a Triton, their website doesnt have a Triton pictured :roll:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby tassietriton on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Ultimate in Cool Silver with lift up windows.
Very well built.
Sliding front window, demister and interior light.
Single handle rear door.
Washed it on the weekend with the K'Archer and it didn't leak a drop.
Click to view larger picture
tassietriton

Postby Buzzy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:26 pm

That looks good tassie
I thought I kept my car clean, damn thats shiny 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby rick on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:27 pm

hey tassie she opens up like a lady bug :lol: :lol: :lol: ......... get ya mits off my lights :evil:
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby IML07 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Unfortunatley i havent anything positive to say about my factory canopy. Due to a combination of things/events, i removed it from my vehicle. Lack of quality of installation has caused alot of paint and panel damage where the canopy sat on the styleside. When I questioned a dealer there response was that it was due to my driving. Further investigation between a mate of mine and soem beer, we removed the canopy and found the the rubber seal wasn't actually sitting on the tray so it was fibreglass on metal and there was no seal against the weather! Im very glad that i kept the standard GLX-R lid and bar as i have put them back on. I do apolgise if anone does disagree with me but come the time if I ever meet any of you, remind me this subject and i will show you the damage.
On another point of view, the cost of the factory canopy is alot compared to aftermarket peices. Some of these aftermarket canopies being no more than 2/3rds the price and having LED brake lights, interior lights 12v sockets, where as the factory does not.
Can everyone please remember that this my thoughts and feelings towards this subject, i hope that my thread doesnt annoy any persons................
IML07

Postby KevO78 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 am

THanks tassie for posting the pics, that looks great. Thats the only canopy i've been considering getting but curious to how it looks and quality wise. I've seen the light :D. Now the question is where can i get one? so far i've only been able to find them in melb which is to far away. does anyone know somewhere in sydney or wollongong where i can get one? i'm heading there next week.
KevO78

Postby Steveo74 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am

by KevO78 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am

THanks tassie for posting the pics, that looks great. Thats the only canopy i've been considering getting but curious to how it looks and quality wise. I've seen the light . Now the question is where can i get one? so far i've only been able to find them in melb which is to far away. does anyone know somewhere in sydney or wollongong where i can get one? i'm heading there next week.

Flexiglass sell the same canopy under there name (Flexiglass Sport for around $2800)
Steveo74

Postby Blueymc on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:20 am

hi yall,just bought my dualcab triton now sourcing the extras,canopy,steps etc live on the gold coast can anyone shed light onbest to get cheerz. :?
Blueymc

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I have had no problems what so ever factory cannopy fitted the other week on my 09 GLX-R. No leaks , great instal and finish. I warned the sales man to make sure its tip top or ill spew. And on pickup it was perfect.

Tomorrow im having solar tint at Blacktown install some tint 15%, so it will be black azz. Ill post pics tomorrow...

My work mate with a new SR5 had the ARB high back cannopy installed by Toyota. The fit looked crap, silastic beads hanging out etc, I recon it looks like it has "wheelchair access" which he didnt appreciate..LOL
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 am

My Stock cannopy with factory toolbox fitted...Now tinted with 15%.

GLX-R Alex

Postby tryhard on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:13 am

hi guys

i had major issues with a Flexiglass install (but in the end they were great and came to the party to fix it schmickly) but that taught me there are huge variances in the quality of installer's work ... I have heard of the factory, ARB and Flexiglass all being next to useless if installed substandard - however all look great if put on properly ... also avoid tub liners or be really fussy - I had one on for a while and all the metal filings from the canopy drilling were left under it, and it rubbed all round the top of tub - after only 2-3 weeks the tub looked like it had been to Afghanistan ! (the swarf had rusted and pitted the tub, rubbed back to metal on rim of tub etc)

Worth shopping around and in particular insisting on an installer who knows what they are doing ...

Cheers
Carl
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 pm

When i removed the factory GLX-R hard cover and bars i was pissed off with the holes are drilled and left raw, 5000km and rust stains there already, So befor i took it back for the cannopy install which was on backorder, I did all of the preparation . eg. drilled out the hard cover hinges and touched up paint in the holes, cleaned it all up. So the installer couldnt just plonk it over the raw holes... :D
GLX-R Alex

Postby Blueymc on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:35 pm

great looking canopy tassietriton,
i have cool silver glx and am seeking similar canopy now
Blueymc

Postby Mongo on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey Alex I notice your front sliding window of the canopy still has the latch on the inside, that latch is interchangeable you can change it around so it sits facing out which means you can operate the window from inside the cab saves climbing up into the back everytime you want to open or shut it, just a handy tip you might want to check out.
Mongo

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:55 am

Cool thanks... Im gona do that
GLX-R Alex

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:11 pm

has anyone gone down the road of fitting a soft canopy on the tub....the hard canopies are great and all but bloody expensive.

I was wondering if there are any pics out there of an alternative to a 3k canopy :o

cheers
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby johnnie5 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:32 pm

tassie_ml wrote:has anyone gone down the road of fitting a soft canopy on the tub....the hard canopies are great and all but bloody expensive.

I was wondering if there are any pics out there of an alternative to a 3k canopy :o

cheers

plenty

the arb ones are below $3K , always cheaper if you fit yourself

ebay , but being in tassie makes it hard
johnnie5

Postby tassie_ml on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:42 pm

got a quote from TJM today for an Ultimate canopy like Tassietritons, $3560 fitted :shock: I thought I would get change out of 3K....what are you guys paying for your canopies

thanks
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby Stu on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm

tassie_ml wrote:got a quote from TJM today for an Ultimate canopy like Tassietritons, $3560 fitted :shock: I thought I would get change out of 3K....what are you guys paying for your canopies

thanks

canopys range from around $2,200 to $2,800 fitting is pretty easy or pay someone $2/300 for fitting & wiring but all up about a max of $3000. Once again TJM are asking you to bend over while they have there way with you all the while doing an average job. I could do with a holiday in Tassie, if you want buy a canopy in Melbourne and I'l bring it over on the spirit for the cost of a return ticket.
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby tassie_ml on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:36 am

thanks Stu, I will see what I can arrange in Melbourne.

If I cna keep it under 3k all up I will let you know.

cheers :mrgreen:
Mark

tassie_ml

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion