THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby Plugbar on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Has anyone have problems with cracking on Alphas GSE canopy,I have one that has developed cracks near front window and roof and its just over 2 yrs old and was informed by Alphas that they have never heard of it before and they can't help me.
Plugbar

Postby Ray57MQ on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Plugbar wrote:Alphas GSE canopy,I have one that has developed cracks near front window and roof and its just oveyr 2 yrs old and was informed by Alphas that they have never heard of it before and they can't help me.

Although out of warranty I would be seeking some info from the ACCC , yes they are labelled the toothless tiger sometimes but can achieve results when we get the " can't help you " response by suppliers of goods.
Another option also contact your state's Consumer/Fair Trading mob, they could stir the pot as well.
Good Luck with it all.
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby bjm74 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am

Just wondering if a 2009 ML ARB canopy will fit a 2012 MN tub? On visual spec it seems to match but not sure if there are any differences in tub lengths etc? Looking at purchasing one second hand but haven't been able to check it in person yet to do the measurements myself. Cheers
bjm74

Postby Joel on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 am

bjm74 wrote:Just wondering if a 2009 ML ARB canopy will fit a 2012 MN tub? On visual spec it seems to match but not sure if there are any differences in tub lengths etc? Looking at purchasing one second hand but haven't been able to check it in person yet to do the measurements myself. Cheers

Nope the ml tub is around 200mm shorter than the mn
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby bjm74 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 am

Joel wrote:
bjm74 wrote:Just wondering if a 2009 ML ARB canopy will fit a 2012 MN tub? On visual spec it seems to match but not sure if there are any differences in tub lengths etc? Looking at purchasing one second hand but haven't been able to check it in person yet to do the measurements myself. Cheers

Nope the ml tub is around 200mm shorter than the mn

Bugger thanks Joel
bjm74

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 am

The ml tub top edge tapers down at the rear, wheres the mn one is flat
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:44 am

I like the three parts to this integrated design. I'm starting to steer away from the canopy / tub arrangement as I find it hard to access the gear inside, although tubs seem to maximise space. With the tray, drawers and boxes it's probably pretty close to the same volume and the access into the "box" looks great.
Hope we see some in OZ.
http://fiftyten.de/
Crash486

Postby paulmp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Crash486 wrote:I like the three parts to this integrated design. I'm starting to steer away from the canopy / tub arrangement as I find it hard to access the gear inside, although tubs seem to maximise space. With the tray, drawers and boxes it's probably pretty close to the same volume and the access into the "box" looks great.
Hope we see some in OZ.

It is quite similar to Trayon and Carryme Campers.

http://www.carrymecamper.com.au

http://www.trayon.com
paulmp

Postby paulmp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Crash486 wrote:I like the three parts to this integrated design. I'm starting to steer away from the canopy / tub arrangement as I find it hard to access the gear inside, although tubs seem to maximise space. With the tray, drawers and boxes it's probably pretty close to the same volume and the access into the "box" looks great.
Hope we see some in OZ.

There is the Tommy Camper too actually: https://www.tommycampers.com.au/
paulmp

Postby Crash486 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:30 am

Thanks for those links. I'll look at them closely to see what fits the brief... cheers

crash486
Crash486

Postby ag9111 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:14 am

Update on my Alpha canopy.
Was on the ute when i purchased it 2nd hand with 9,500km on it in 2014. Ute now has 125,000km
Not happy.
All seals are stuffed. They are just disintergrating where they are exposed to the sun.
The gel coat seems to have a clear coat over it and that is breaking down. Looks crap on a white vehicle as dirt gets under it and it stands out.
Inside rear door mech keeps falling apart. About to replace that for the second time and will locktite everything up before install. Very expensive parts wise.
Side windows have never been close to looking like being waterproof, even when newish.
I have seen 3 other alpha canopies exibiting the same issues as the first 2 listed. 1 white, 2 grey Seems to be common issues.
Would not recommend or purchase.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 pm

ag9111 wrote:Update on my Alpha canopy.
Was on the ute when i purchased it 2nd hand with 9,500km on it in 2014. Ute now has 125,000km
Not happy.
All seals are stuffed. They are just disintergrating where they are exposed to the sun.
The gel coat seems to have a clear coat over it and that is breaking down. Looks crap on a white vehicle as dirt gets under it and it stands out.
Inside rear door mech keeps falling apart. About to replace that for the second time and will locktite everything up before install. Very expensive parts wise.
Side windows have never been close to looking like being waterproof, even when newish.
I have seen 3 other alpha canopies exibiting the same issues as the first 2 listed. 1 white, 2 grey Seems to be common issues.
Would not recommend or purchase.
Wow... ok. I've had my cml alpha for years. Still looks like new.

The seals between the tub and canopy were crap but otherwise very happy with mine.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kshep89 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi, I have an MQ, looking at Canopies but have never had one before - just wondering if anyone can tell me how internal support bars work on an ARB Classic/Classic Plus Canopy / Canopies in general? Are they required, is it included in the price when you buy bars from ARB, do they get in the way etc? Need to support Roof Top Tent (~55kg). Cheers, Shep
kshep89

Postby Foo on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:20 pm

I've done the searchy thing and nuffin comes up but are there any homemade canopies for a style side Triton here? I'm thinkin of a raise second floor above the current side height and then a canopy on it. Thoughts? :idea:

Foo
Foo

Postby Topspark on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Hoping to get a reasonably quick response here.
Probably a standard question, I have an mq triton, what is the best fitting canopy for water and dust ingress?
And apart from the main brands has anyone experience with mean mother , razorback, flexiglass, ironman, or any other brand that may stand out?
Topspark

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 pm

90% comes down to the guy who's fitting it. I went ARB on the ML and fit and watertightness was near perfect but then later we found that he'd put a screw in without drilling a hole first. ARB did the right thing and put on a brand new canopy, colour coded and all. For that reason I tend to lean towards them after seeing some horror stories here on after sales service from other brands. Again depends on who's calling the shots that day.

Go with the one you like that fits in your budget and see if you can talk to other customers of that distributor.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Topspark on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Gday gents
Regardless of the brand , pro’s and con’s of the window configurations.?
Lift up against sliding?
Including if the front should be fixed or sliding?
Topspark

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Lift up gives you double the access area and, arguably, better sealing. Sliding is better if your dog sits in the tub.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Topspark on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:18 am

Thanks for the reply
Any benefits from having the front window sliding?
Cleaning?
And now that you have mentioned it, are sliding windows more prone to water and dust ingress?
Topspark

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:06 am

Outward opening lift up front windows tend not to work very well while the inward opening ones have a habit of clocking you on the chin as you open them. As for cleaning, I used to just use a broom between cab and canopy.

When the water level in that creek crossing reaches the windows the pressure will seal a lift up window rather than force its way through the seal on a sliding window. Same applies for dust although positive pressure systems can reduce this. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Topspark on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 am

Not quite the water ingress I meant :) :) :)
But understand
Topspark

Postby Topspark on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 am

a basic question, as I don't know ??
particularly with the MQ, but do they have floor mounted anchor points for drawers in the rear tub?
I have a tub liner so cannot see these, and I am assuming no.
cheers
Topspark

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:17 am

Not specifically for drawers, or anything else. Just make your own - drill through and use large washers or plates to spread the load.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Topspark on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 am

thanks chris
cheers
Topspark

Postby mostlymago on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 am

I thought I'd try something a little different with my canopy windows. The factory canopy originally had the sliding windows, which were an absolute pain to try and open from the inside and then get things into and out from the canopy. A few weeks ago I got my hands on a pair of lift-up windows but one of the windows had been smashed and replaced with perspex. Rather than use glass, I decided to reinforce the perspex with marine ply (so the gas struts can be used without bending it out of shape) with the intention of maybe down the track replacing it with glass. Then I ended up in an internet wormhole and decided to add a few things to the window, and this was the result.
Click to view larger picture
Vinyl wrapped the outside and painted the inside black.
Added a vent and a fan to try and reduce the temperature in there in summer to keep everything cooler. The original plan was to plug in a small solar panel when I'm parked up so it runs when it's in the sun without drawing on the deep cycle battery in the back. I'm going to do some testing over the next few days to see just how hot it gets in there (34-40 over the next 4 days) and how much the fan reduces the temperature to decide whether to run the solar panel or have a friend build a raspberry pi with a thermostat and hook it to the battery so it kicks in at a certain temperature. I've added in an LED light (yet to wire up) and some room to hang/store a few smaller things off it.
It's definitely overkill, and it all may get very little use, but I thought I'd put it together and see how it worked. So far it's heaps more user friendly than the sliding windows, and looks a lot better after repainting the faded frames.
mostlymago

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion