THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby bgs on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:21 am

kevin wrote:Shouldn't be....maybe just a bit tacky on the seal. (I hope not as I have to remove a friend's factory canopy soon)

Thanks for that, I will try again on the weekend. two of us could not get it to move,

good luck with removing your friends

Thanks
bgs

Postby tommydadog on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 am

bgs wrote:
kevin wrote:Shouldn't be....maybe just a bit tacky on the seal. (I hope not as I have to remove a friend's factory canopy soon)

Thanks for that, I will try again on the weekend. two of us could not get it to move,

Thanks

normally you would work from one end and make your way around the seal loosening it to remove it, that works for most sticky/tacky seals.
tommydadog

Postby bgs on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:30 pm

tommydadog wrote:
bgs wrote:

Thanks

normally you would work from one end and make your way around the seal loosening it to remove it, that works for most sticky/tacky seals.

Thanks Mate, read this and had another go this afternoon once one corner was lifted up I was able work my way around.

now what to do with a canopy that has two smashed windows :?:
bgs

Postby kevin on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15 am

^ good to know. Were they smashed before you removed it ;)
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby cjsxrt on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:31 am

Hey guys I'm in need of some help I need someone with a arb canopy to measure the internal frame of a sliding window any help would be great cheers
cjsxrt

Postby GPS98 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Had a flexiglass sport canopy on the Triton MN for four years and it developed a leak in the handle which put water into the back of the canopy, a trip today to Flexiglass at Slacks Creek fixed it all, and they even gave the canopy a service and tightened it all up, and the cost...... no charge. The service by Allan and Phil was excellent. Recommend considering flexiglass if you thinking of a canopy for quality and after service.
GPS98

Postby Pete_79 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:30 pm

GPS98 wrote:Had a flexiglass sport canopy on the Triton MN for four years and it developed a leak in the handle which put water into the back of the canopy, a trip today to Flexiglass at Slacks Creek fixed it all, and they even gave the canopy a service and tightened it all up, and the cost...... no charge. The service by Allan and Phil was excellent. Recommend considering flexiglass if you thinking of a canopy for quality and after service.

I've got a flexiglass canopy and I'll never get another one.

It leaks like a sieve through both side windows. There's a 10mm gap where they didn't seat the windows properly before they screwed them in place (they stripped the heads on 2 screws in each side too).
I took it back to flexiglass in Silverwater where they pumped the window seals with Sikaflex, 2 weeks later it started leaking again.

Then the back door wouldn't latch in one corner. The locking plate wasn't flicking open and when closing the rear door it slammed on to the latch and wouldn't shut. Obviously this let all the dust in and also meant it couldn't be locked.
I had to manually flick the locking plate open every time I opened the rear door, until eventually the spring came off and now the whole lock is unless.

So now I'm left with a 10 month old canopy that leaks water through both side windows, has big blobs of Sikaflex along the sides, doesn't close the rear door and can't be locked.

Glad you had a good experience, but mine has been absolute rubbish......
Pete_79

Postby alian on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:29 am

paddstar69 wrote:Couple of photos of the custom canopy i had made for the triton sitting on a custom tray. Pretty happy with finished look.
http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/padds ... sort=3&o=0

Click on link

Very nice set up you have there ;)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sabre on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Pete_79 wrote:
GPS98 wrote:Had a flexiglass sport canopy on the Triton MN for four years and it developed a leak in the handle which put water into the back of the canopy, a trip today to Flexiglass at Slacks Creek fixed it all, and they even gave the canopy a service and tightened it all up, and the cost...... no charge. The service by Allan and Phil was excellent. Recommend considering flexiglass if you thinking of a canopy for quality and after service.

I've got a flexiglass canopy and I'll never get another one.

It leaks like a sieve through both side windows. There's a 10mm gap where they didn't seat the windows properly before they screwed them in place (they stripped the heads on 2 screws in each side too).
I took it back to flexiglass in Silverwater where they pumped the window seals with Sikaflex, 2 weeks later it started leaking again.

Then the back door wouldn't latch in one corner. The locking plate wasn't flicking open and when closing the rear door it slammed on to the latch and wouldn't shut. Obviously this let all the dust in and also meant it couldn't be locked.
I had to manually flick the locking plate open every time I opened the rear door, until eventually the spring came off and now the whole lock is unless.

So now I'm left with a 10 month old canopy that leaks water through both side windows, has big blobs of Sikaflex along the sides, doesn't close the rear door and can't be locked.

Glad you had a good experience, but mine has been absolute rubbish......

Me too been back to Flexiglass Brisbane four times. Last time was for a large air bubble that had broken out, they fixed it on goodwill due to it being a month out of warranty, I then pointed out it had to have been there since manufacturing, warranty period or not.
Sabre

Postby timwilli99 on Sun May 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Hey all, I've got an ARB smooth finish classic canopy that I have had to remove all 3 windows and rear door, as I'm having it repainted. Removing door was easy, however windows were bloody hard to remove, even using heavy duty panel tools. The aperture was pretty tight around the aluminum frames. Does anyone have any tips to assist with reinstall? Do you reckon they would go back in easier than they come out? Should I just pay for the labor for the panelbeater to reinstall and let him have the grief? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
2011 MN Triton GLX-R, purchased Dec 2013
White, Styleside, TJM Rear Bar, 2" Ultimate Lift, Cooper STMAxx 265/70r17
Other mods to come
timwilli99

Postby 2ENIL8 on Mon May 30, 2016 5:08 am

I'm taking mine back to flexiglass today as I am unable to undo the rear door when I use the central locking, have also noticed some crazy cracks that are starting to form all around the back window and around the bolts that hold the gas struts. The canopy is about 3-4 years old, will be interesting to see what they say.
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Mon May 30, 2016 7:42 am

Sounds like what mine did.

Had a central locking issue, it wouldn't unlock, so had to use the key to unlock sometimes.
Also the plastic trim or whatever that is adhered to the back glass was cracking at all the stress points, basically near the hinge points and corners etc.

I took mine back just inside of 12 months and they replaced the back glass but reused the old fittings, no problems since then.
They said it was just cosmetic and that looked to be the case.

Haven't had any more problems with the central locking since they worked on it, so maybe just needs adjusting.

I have to keep going over all the bolts and tightening them up fairly regularly too, especially on the latches... I should loctite them actually.
bigjobs

Postby 2ENIL8 on Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 am

Went there yesterday amd they had to replace the mechanism that controls the central locking as it was cactus, while I was there I mentioned about the plastic the guy that I was talking too took some photos and was going to send it off to see if he could get it fixed even tho it was out of warranty. He did also mention that it was only cosmetic and not structural, will see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Same process as with mine, sent photos off to get approval, even though mine was in warranty still.

Pretty sure if any major problem did occur due to poor quality and they refused to repair it, you would have a good case with your local fair trading office... given the price of the things.
bigjobs

Postby stretch08 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Love the post but have a question about fitting a canopy. Here goes, I can buy a factory canopy same colour as my tri and at $600 beans I thought it was cheap it's in top condition. But my only problem is it doesn't come with the bracket's for me to mount it any idea's in how to mount it or where I could get the bracket's? I have tried mitsubishi dealership but they don't sell them and I also tried arb they knew what I was asking for but don't sell them separate either. If I can't get the bracket's their's no point in buying the canopy. Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers
stretch08

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24 pm

From memory the factory canopy was made by one of the third party canopy manufacturers, but I can't remember which one now. Might be caddy? Or carryboy? If you can work out who it was they might sell you some brackets.

My other idea depends where you live. If in Sydney there's a place on Parramatta road, I think it's called Auburn canopies. They sell a few different brands and seem to know their stuff. I reckon they would know what the go was. This is them (what did we do before google?)

Contact Auburn Canopy Centre
293 Parramatta Road Auburn
Sydney NSW Australia
Opening Hours

Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday: 11am - 3pm
Phone: (02) 9648 4284

Mobile: 0466 717 288

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Big Mike on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:53 pm

hey guys just wondering where the canopy lights fuse is
cheers mike
Big Mike

Postby braydenc on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Big Mike wrote:hey guys just wondering where the canopy lights fuse is
cheers mike

if its a factory canopy its in the engine bay next to the battery with a in line fuse holder
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby Big Mike on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:09 pm

yeah mate factory canopy, ill have a look for it now
Big Mike

Postby dirtworm on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:02 pm

I was hoping someone maybe able to head me in the right direction. I have a genuine Canopy on my MN and these have sliding side and front windows. I want to convert the sides to lift up. I think the lift up's give a little better access to some gear without climbing in through the rear. Any help is better than none
dirtworm

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Hope you have deep pockets. Yes. it could be done - just need to remove the existing windows and replace them with the lift up type. I'm not sure who made Mitsubishi canopies but if you can identify the manufacturer that may be a better course than sourcing genuine parts.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby moses on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:06 pm

An insurance claim on a broken side window may be cheaper.......

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DBomber on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:31 pm

I have a genuine canopy and someone bastard broke a side lift up window. It was $525 for a replacement and $150 to have it installed by the Dealer. It hurt paying so much, I had to get it done ASAP and I was flat out with work at the time so didn't have a choice.
DBomber

Re: Hardtop sports canopy

Postby kouta666 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:12 pm

wow.....so ugly....in my opinion :D

Everytime I put my hard lid back on, it gets in the way and is removed within a few weeks. If you're going to spend some coin, I recommend a canopy.

If you want to use your ute as a ute.... go a roller lid
kouta666

Postby GadgetMN on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 am

Need the expert input of the NTN panel here...

I don't think this one looks like a Triton canopy, but may be wrong. Any hints as to which car it may fit? My gut says it's a Navara canopy. If it is a Triton one, very keen to buy it :P

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-sh ... 1117418310
GadgetMN

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion