EcuTEK Experiences

Anything Triton related

Re: EcuTEK Experiences

Postby ag9111 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:19 am

I didn't think Tony's mod closed the EGR completely anyway. I'm sure there are times when it opens.

Tony?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:29 am

It can be 100% closed at all times, just depends how set up. I set some 2.5's so cracks on sudden overrun. There is positive manifold pressure so no carbon gets in and there are less undesirable side effects. The EGR will be closed at idle and the TB remains open at all times aside of shutdown as should close to prevent annoying run on.
Some ECU remaps I have seen do not 100% close EGR and I know of several that ended up with manifold removed for cleaning.

I'll leave it here as not wish to hijack this tread on Ecu Tek.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:46 am

Tony wrote: Some ECU remaps I have seen do not 100% close EGR and I know of several that ended up with manifold removed for cleaning.

yup. :cry:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BILLC on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:09 pm

So its going back on...

Thanks Tony, thanks guys
BILLC

Postby BILLC on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 am

Hi Guys,

I after reinstalling the EGR block "Tony's Mod" i have noticed that the triton was not blowing black smoke at take-off as it did after the Euctek tune. Also noticed that the it was not pulling as hard up the rev range, can this affect the air fuel mixture in the tune ?
BILLC

Postby revolutiontriton on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:33 pm

So I finally got around to getting my tune done, I booked it in March then decided to fit a safari snorkel and red back exhaust to try save me having to fork out for another tune later on :lol:

Had it tuned at an Ecutek dealer in Rhodes. (I'm sure that says enough)

Holy snappin duck bills! The old girls got some pull now :D (old isn't the right word as it only has 30k on it)
Interesting day though.
Dropped it off and got a call an hour later. "The egr is covered in soot, to get the best out of your tune we recommend giving the manifold a clean and running our special flushing machine on it to clean it all out"
At what cost you ask??? Only an additional $800-1200 :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's had a catch can on it since almost new and had the 30k service and valve adjustment the week before which the dealer said nothing of carbon build up. So I called bs on that one and decided not to do it for obvious reasons.
Picked up the car, wasn't told too much about what happened with the tune. Took off at the lights thinking it was going to tear the rubber off the wheels but no.....
An unbelievable cloud of thick black smoke billowing from the rear, the sounds of a suffocating engine and the power of a peddle car. Thinking to myself WTF have they done to my car???

Got off Victoria rd and found that the hose to the intercooler was hanging by the wayside!!!
Why they took this off in the first place I have no idea, but clearly covering the rad support and fuel cap in promotional stickers was more important!!! Idiots! :x

Fixed that up and had a good run home on the M1. the power is definitely noticeable. Any gear, any speed, put the foot down and she goes. Sooner than you know you've hit $1.40 and need to back off.
I would say there is no more noticeable soot than previously and lag seems to be a thing of the past :twisted:

Unfortunately I did only get a road tune, I believe because I bought it when there was a sale on meant that when I did enquire about a pass on the dyno they wanted an absurd amount of money. I would like to have the hard figures on paper though so will probably take it to another Ecutek tuner some day for a run.

In the mean time Ecutek delivered the goods but would prefer to spend my money elsewhere next time round!!
revolutiontriton

Postby snowman on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:59 pm

welcome to the club.....on both counts. Tune :D and customer service :roll: .

....check your back window as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby revolutiontriton on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm

snowman wrote:welcome to the club.....on both counts. Tune :D and customer service :roll: .

....check your back window as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh-oh... What about the back window? You got me worried... I'm going to look at it now haha.
revolutiontriton

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:48 am

revolutiontriton wrote:So I finally got around to getting my tune done, I booked it in March then decided to fit a safari snorkel and red back exhaust to try save me having to fork out for another tune later on :lol:

Had it tuned at an Ecutek dealer in Rhodes. (I'm sure that says enough)

Holy snappin duck bills! The old girls got some pull now :D (old isn't the right word as it only has 30k on it)
Interesting day though.
Dropped it off and got a call an hour later. "The egr is covered in soot, to get the best out of your tune we recommend giving the manifold a clean and running our special flushing machine on it to clean it all out"
At what cost you ask??? Only an additional $800-1200 :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's had a catch can on it since almost new and had the 30k service and valve adjustment the week before which the dealer said nothing of carbon build up. So I called bs on that one and decided not to do it for obvious reasons.
Picked up the car, wasn't told too much about what happened with the tune. Took off at the lights thinking it was going to tear the rubber off the wheels but no.....
An unbelievable cloud of thick black smoke billowing from the rear, the sounds of a suffocating engine and the power of a peddle car. Thinking to myself WTF have they done to my car???

Got off Victoria rd and found that the hose to the intercooler was hanging by the wayside!!!
Why they took this off in the first place I have no idea, but clearly covering the rad support and fuel cap in promotional stickers was more important!!! Idiots! :x

Fixed that up and had a good run home on the M1. the power is definitely noticeable. Any gear, any speed, put the foot down and she goes. Sooner than you know you've hit $1.40 and need to back off.
I would say there is no more noticeable soot than previously and lag seems to be a thing of the past :twisted:

Unfortunately I did only get a road tune, I believe because I bought it when there was a sale on meant that when I did enquire about a pass on the dyno they wanted an absurd amount of money. I would like to have the hard figures on paper though so will probably take it to another Ecutek tuner some day for a run.

In the mean time Ecutek delivered the goods but would prefer to spend my money elsewhere next time round!!

Welcome! :D

I'm always intrigued by the pricing on the ECUTEK tune. To give some comparison; I had a tune done on my motorbike, using a similar arrangement. I have a common suite of mods on my bike (Akrapovic exhaust and K&N filter). The tune is not done on the dyno as it has been developed for the bike by a very reputable tuning house for exactly that modification. The person that develops these tunes is well known in the motorcycle industry, and his attention to detail are legendary. The tune has been further proven by dynoing random bikes after install and the tune is consistent, similar methodology to what the "Rhodes Tuner" uses.

My bike revs to 13,000rpm, has traction control and various throttle (TBW) and drive modes, all of which are altered by the tune. The difference between OEM and tuned is chalk and cheese.

The cost? $275.

I plonk the ECU down on the desk, and they do it while I wait. Any issues after install - full (free) support is on offer.

Now how does any tuner justify $1200 for a Triton?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby revolutiontriton on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:36 am

Simple... Supply-demand!! Hahaha
It's was actually 1490 for the tune, which was with a 500cash back offer so usually 2k. Which seems to be the going rate.
These guys have been tuning the triton since 09 and along the way had their own to test on and refine. Hence why they claim they don't need to use the dyno. Which is a fair call but it still feels like your getting jacked a bit.
They do a good tune and I guess that's where the $$$ come into play, not many ppl are Ecutek approved so I guess they have a hold on the market. I have since found other stores that are Ecutek licensed and seem to have a better rep for customer service... I think I'll be going back there if I ever need too.

P.s is there some kind of secret hand shake I need to know now :lol: :lol: :lol:
revolutiontriton

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:32 am

revolutiontriton wrote:P.s is there some kind of secret hand shake I need to know now :lol: :lol: :lol:

The secret handshake is as follows;

- Make a fist with your right hand.
- Extend right arm, palm side up.
- Raise middle finger.

You are now part of the secret brotherhood. :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:33 am

I know I couldn't justify to myself $1500, let alone $2000, just for a reflash.
I didn't go ahead with it, and I told them why.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby revolutiontriton on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 pm

I agree, it is a hefty wad of cash. But if I was in the show room and test drove both cars, one tuned one not, I'd happily pay the extra and get the tuned one.
revolutiontriton

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:11 pm

revolutiontriton wrote:I agree, it is a hefty wad of cash. But if I was in the show room and test drove both cars, one tuned one not, I'd happily pay the extra and get the tuned one.

x2

that is actually a great analogy. 8-)
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:08 pm

There are other tuners who do a dyno run to make sure everything is good before the reflash.
Haven't found one in Sydney or Wollongong yet but haven't had time to look.
I know they charge about the same $1500

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:09 pm

There are other tuners who do a dyno run to make sure everything is good before the reflash.
Haven't found one in Sydney or Wollongong yet but haven't had time to look.
I know they charge about the same $1500

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:39 pm

my original tune came with a dyno run. the two subsequent reflashes didn't but didn't cost $1500 either.

i think you need to ask what they will actually do for the 1.5 or 2k
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Well after years of waiting/wanting to get the ECUTEK done, i have finally bitten the bullet and booked the Triton in at Ultimate Diesel Tuning Tomorrow.

Have had a few customers go in to them and they have been happy, and given the backup from MRT of the Ecutek tune, i am looking forward to some really good results.

So this time Friday hopefully i have a smile on my face and she has some significant increases in power.
Lee-thal

Postby mudslinger on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Got mine custom tuned at ultimate diesel..... runs fantastic!

Get 133.3kw at the wheels and 560Nm, besides the numbers it drives like a dream, power on tap, responsive and doesn't blow any smoke. Originally had the tune with the original exhaust but it was blowing smoke down low under 2k, they suggested due to extra fuel required to help turbo get up to speed.

They fitted a legendex exhaust and retuned for free and goes so much better now with noticeably more power in 60-90km range and blows no smoke down low. Very very happy with results. You wont be disappointed. Best mod I've done and enjoy driving and getting my monies worth back every time i hop in it.
mudslinger

Postby mudslinger on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Got the dyno graphs for stock mitsubishi tune with standard exhaust, tune with std exhaust, tune with legendex exhaust if anyones interested. Just got to figure how to post pictures. . :?
mudslinger

Postby revolutiontriton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:56 pm

I'd be interested!!!
So you got a legendex huh! I was very keen on getting one of those. Very very keen. I ended up going with a redback HD 3" with resonator. Turns out it prob wouldn't have been much more for the genie but the guys from A1 exhausts Australia online had such good customer service I decided to stick with them.
How do you like it? There a shmick looking bit of kit! What sort of system did you get?
revolutiontriton

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:47 am

Well tune is done,

Well what can i say, WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO LONG.

It is amazing after the tune, picked up around 160nm of Torque, which has transformed the car to something i am blown away with.

Would recommend it to ANYONE!!!
Lee-thal

Postby coughy on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:05 pm

hay lee any dyno picys pls??
and what they sting you??
pm if you dont wont to place it here m8
i live in brissy and would love to catch up and see what it drives like
i have a chipped car but it sounds like this is the way to go now...
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Yeah I wouldn't get too excited.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 am

I have pics, but i am a nufty when trying to post them here.

Ultimate Diesel at Geebung did it for me, $1195.

Would recommend these guys to anyone.
Lee-thal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion