EcuTEK Experiences

Anything Triton related

Re: EcuTEK Experiences

Postby aybe on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:00 pm

Guys I could do with some advice.Took the Triton in yesterday for the Ecutek tune and it ended in tears.Like most here I was after better low down performance.Well the original dyno test was so bad they suggested I take it back for warranty rectification.(I'll post a pic)Its about 20KW down on where it should be at low speed.They ran it with the Ecutek software and some of the results were getting dangerous.Its got a Beaudesert 2 3/4" hows that going to affect any warranty issues?They told me that the vehicle and engine scan tests indicate that systems are operative to standard.It was getting to the point of too much information what they were explaining but a possibility I remember was something to do with the auto?Its a 2015 MN GLX with 14000ks.
aybe

Postby aybe on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 pm

Here's a pic of the standard dyno result.The red/middle line is hand drawn showing what an auto triton should be around according to Ecutek.
Click to view larger picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aybe

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:32 am

My 2 cents;

I'm assuming that the torque curve is green?
720Nm at 40kph? What's that all about?

I'm also assuming that the black line is power?
I would expect the power curve to start off low, gradually peak and then drop off.

It's hard to make comparisons using this graph, as it shows speed on the bottom axis, instead of rpm.

More info required........
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OffRoadDave on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:15 am

BillMcQuade wrote:My 2 cents;

I'm assuming that the torque curve is green?
720Nm at 40kph? What's that all about?

Something about torque converter multiplication comes to mind....it's been a many years since my LH Torana when I played with different torque converters.

Edit: After looking at that picture longer it's probably not that, something doesn't make sense to me either. :?
OffRoadDave

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:49 am

OffRoadDave wrote:Something about torque converter multiplication comes to mind....it's been a many years since my LH Torana when I played with different torque converters.

Edit: After looking at that picture longer it's probably not that, something doesn't make sense to me either. :?

I initially thought the same thing. That's some serious multiplication :shock:

Hopefully, more info will be revealed......

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aybe on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:04 am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aybe

Postby aybe on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:14 am

I can quote the final report which is really the only other info I have.
Work Required/Notes
Carry out vehicle system scan tests and could not fault
Carry out 4wd dyno testing,record KW,KN,boost and smoke emissions and report

Final Report
This vehicle is demonstrably below standard performance 0-60 kph
Vehicle and engine scan tests indicate that systems are operative to standard.We would recommend returning of
vehicle for warranty rectification as soon as possible.

Ash
aybe

Postby revolutiontriton on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Any of you blokes got boost gauges or pyro guages? After the tune both have been on my list to install, just got a boost guage in the other day and seems to be pulling steady 25's. every now and then I see it hit 27psi... :D

Anyway since the tune I've had two cel's come up. Both were towing 1.5t up hill and I was doing about 130 at the time... Don't ask why. I think I've learnt my lesson now :lol: just testing the waters.
So obviously I'm thinking overboost issue, it spools pretty hard with 3" pipes.
I get a cel and the tcs lights both come on, (tcs off and wheels spinning lights)

Who agrees with my overboost assumption?
Any tips to help, apart from going easy on it up hills?
Could the egt's getting too high trigger it?
Why does it cancel limp mode after I restart the engine then dive normally after?

Last time it took 5days then the light went out by itself, I'm assuming I'm doing no harm by driving it after, obviously not on the same manner as when it happened :twisted:

Will prob call the guys who tuned it but you blokes seem full of useful information so thought I'd get some feedback

Cheers.
revolutiontriton

Postby coughy on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:29 pm

yes that is the over boost situation
the tuners should of had the boost dropping of at the top to stop that
u might need a dawes valve like pat (MONKEYS) had installed
his has stopped it now after the valve fitment

and no the egts arnt measured in these ecu's so car dont care what is happening there
but WE DO
and no damage getting done
it resets it self after a number restarts and the ecu is happy it isnt over boosting any more
it is a safety feature to stop the boost running away

so all good
talk to the tuners again they will see the code in ecu and ajust there settings
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby revolutiontriton on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Yeh I'm considering fitting a Dawes valve, taking it back to the tuners is a hassle because of location so I might just wait and see if driving it a little softer whilst towing helps. It's only happened twice and both times I was pushing it with a lot of weight hanging off the back.
revolutiontriton

Postby coughy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:37 pm

yer it stil shouldnt do it m8 trust me mine does it factory state
gggrrrr
go back to tuners and have it fixed they should be able to replicate on the dyno with load....
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby m sciffer on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:27 pm

hi there
well i'am taking the plunge to up grade my 2013 mn . I got quoted 3800 for the remap of the ecu and a not stainless exhaust but a steel exhaust . from a ecuteck dealer near coffs harbour , and also supply and fit a egt guage 900 dollars I think that is a rip off but keep looking around and getting prices . I now found a place in coffs that can do the remap and supply a stainless exhaust for 2800 dollars . I also has purchased a scanguage 2 and the supplyer is fitting a egt fitting to the dump pipe and fitting the guage into the cab and will also fit the scanguage 2.this will happen next Thursday and Friday. So to keep the mrs happy we are making it an overnighter and dinner out in coffs and I might get lucky also .
m sciffer

Postby Defecta on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:53 pm

HI all I am Russell from Perth I have a 2014 MN Triton manual my every day tires are maxis 980 265/70/16 at 15k i blocked the EGR with a plate and at 25k i fitted a 3inch RED BACK straight through system $900.00 so when i fitted this it gave me a big power gain and i have had no isues with over boosting, it does bark though when you put your foot in (nice). over here Supercheap auto store do the kn filter for $69.00 so that is in as well, At this point it was dynoed at 129.5 HP with 354 newtons at the rear wheels,(nice) So at 35k and at $800.00 A Perth Triton club special i had Infinitec deisel Tuners do a remap for towing my camper trailer and low down grunt when 4wding in extreme conditions eg rocky climes he raised my PSI changed the fuel mix ratios, turbo comes in sooner waste gate opens at 2200 rmp not 2800 rpm easly revs out to 5500 rpm and is now a 165 HP with 450 newtons at rear wheels. My Triton is now an animal so much power on tap although when you are doing 50 kph around the suburbs she runs like a smooth petrol engine.( And i am still still smiling at 40k). What i am more than happy with is that now when i am in low range 4x4ing with my 33inch 285/75/16 Maxis Big Horns on climing through difficalt rocky hill clime tracks i can now hold it at a low rev of about 1700 to 1800 rpm with a slow spin on the wheels to allow the traction control to work properly and give my truck every chance to clime through the tracks, Now it doesn`t die in the ass and stall it stays in turbo power so no locker neaded now.The EGT guage har droped from 420 deg to 370 deg at 100 kmh on the freeway so i know it is not burning excess fuel which it was with the factory tune.. My truck has 2inch lift ARB winch bar rear ARB bar 9500 lb winch step sliders bash plates and i get 9.5 to 10 lt per 100km depending on tyres, what a rant but i hope its a good read
Defecta

Postby Defecta on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi again my EGT gauge i picked up on line ebay from America $145.00 aus and it took about 1.5 hours to fit and wire up

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Defecta

Postby mickl on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:03 am

MilkmanDan wrote:I see that Donnon & Willall are now doing custom tunes for most diesels now. Popped up on my fb this morning a 3.2l Pajero made 119kw and a jump in 50% of torque up the whole rev range.

Not bad for the old girl imo.

I know this is an old comment and my post is not directly related to Ecutek but is related to tuning so thought it was worth sharing as its another option to consider. I just had my car done by Willall and was a good experience with good results I think. I ended up going with the Uni chip and tune for several reasons but mainly as I can remove it and sell the chip if I sell the car or transfer to my next car which will almost certainly be another diesel ute. The cost was only marginally more than an Ecutek tune so wasn't a major issue.

Just prior to having the tune done I had a 3 inch Xforce exhaust installed (cat and muffler) as I will be doing a lot of towing so is mainly to assist with EGT's. The in cabin noise is non existent and I can't hear any difference over the standard exhaust in the cabin.

As a result the base line run wasn't a stock MN but the exhaust was the only mod prior to starting. After the baseline tune I also had them fit a Dawes valve set up from Tony to hopefully sort out the chance of over boosting.

Baseline run was 406nm of torque and 98kw and after chip, dawes etc final result was 549nm of torque and 124kw. PSI looks to have only gone up 2 PSI over base line and maxed out at 22PSI. Fingers crossed I won't have any over boosting issues!

Overall the car is a lot nicer to drive. Its not throw you back in your seat power down low (although when you get up over about 2100 RPM it pulls pretty hard) but its a lot quicker and easier to reach speed so I'm finding I don't rev the car nearly as hard and a lot of the low down lag is gone. Basically the drivability has improved hugely.

Highly recommend Martin and Gareth as an option if considering a tune etc. They definitely know there stuff and were great to deal with...
mickl

Postby snakesoup on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:00 pm

good results there mate, I'd love to do mine at some stage !! really notice the reduced lag hey ? this is one of my only hates about the mn
snakesoup

Postby mickl on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:28 pm

I'd wouldn't say the lag is totally gone but its reduced significantly and the car is certainly a lot more drivable that's for sure. Now if I can just not get the over boost issue I will be a happy camper!
mickl

Postby aybe on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:49 pm

aybe wrote:Guys I could do with some advice.Took the Triton in yesterday for the Ecutek tune and it ended in tears.Like most here I was after better low down performance.Well the original dyno test was so bad they suggested I take it back for warranty rectification.(I'll post a pic)Its about 20KW down on where it should be at low speed.They ran it with the Ecutek software and some of the results were getting dangerous.Its got a Beaudesert 2 3/4" hows that going to affect any warranty issues?They told me that the vehicle and engine scan tests indicate that systems are operative to standard.It was getting to the point of too much information what they were explaining but a possibility I remember was something to do with the auto?Its a 2015 MN GLX with 14000ks.

Well it seems this guy had no idea :evil:
Today I took the Triton to someone a bit more local rather than the big smoke again(should have went here in the first place)The reason I didn't was the mostly positive Ecutek reviews and the fact this business didn't have a dyno.They use ECU West provided tunes.Well it's turned out great.Seat of the pants dyno is very happy.
Ash
aybe

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Without a dyno graph (preferably before and after same day same dyno) or improved 1/4 mile times. No real idea of what the gains were. If first workshop was correct you may still be down on possible power.
L200Shogun

Postby aybe on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:41 pm

L200Shogun wrote:Without a dyno graph (preferably before and after same day same dyno) or improved 1/4 mile times. No real idea of what the gains were. If first workshop was correct you may still be down on possible power.

Of course your right I don't have an actual measure.I was thinking about an independent dyno before and after but decided to save my money.All I can say is its now pretty sharp and doesn't take long to be speeding :D
aybe

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Finally got my ECUTEK tune done today :D :D :D

Mark at Doctor Diesel put my rig on the dyno and did a baseline, then uploaded his base tune. After this, he runs it on the dyno, tweaking it to suit the vehicle, and my requirements. I don't want a drag car, just a nice reliable upgrade.

Mark's customer service is top shelf, and his workshop is immaculately presented. I dropped the car off at 07:45, and it was done before lunch.

This is the base tune (created by MRT, as the ECUTEK Master Tuner) that all the ECUTEK tuners start from, and it shows the charting across the whole rev range. Torque is shown as flywheel figures. IMHO MRT have done an excellent job with this base tune;

After a bit of fine tuning to suit my rig (IMHO MRT got it pretty spot on), this is a screenshot taken at 65kph - 135kph (or 2360 - 4890 rpm), which is where I need the most gain when towing on the freeway. Not the dazzling 50% torque increase that some places will try and sell you, just a nice, smooth power delivery. No smoke, and no crazy EGTs. Peak boost is now at 22.4psi, and comes in much earlier. There are no flat spots, and no lagging off the mark. Torque is shown as rear wheel torque, and detailed as motive force in 4th gear (1:1 ratio in the box and 3.917 ratio in the rear);

For what it's worth, I did a calculation based off the motive force, to work out the flywheel figures on my chart (I won't bore you with the math). Interestingly enough, my base tune (which is with the Domin8r exhaust) works out to 423Nm at the flywheel, whereas the MRT (OEM spec) baseline is 400Nm. It goes to show that there are possibly some small gains to be made with an exhaust alone. I say possibly, because I never had mine on the dyno before the exhaust, though I am assuming that MRT averaged their figures? My peak torque is 470Nm, which matches the claims made by MRT.

As soon as I got home, I compared the performance of my Triton to a mates chipped vehicle (similarly priced fuel and boost chip, was tuned on a dyno). We both feel that the vehicles perform well, but the ECUTEK tuned vehicle is much smoother, has less smoke, and lower EGTs. Naturally, this is a pretty subjective test, but it's enough difference that he is now thinking of getting a tune done.

Whilst I was at it, I asked them to perform a small modification to the ECU, in order to obsolete a change that I had done to my vehicle via some electronics. This was successfully performed :twisted:

As an unexpected benefit, the light surge that the vehicle has always had when at low throttle opening on cruise control, has now virtually gone. I really had to concentrate to pick up on it.

I really can recommend Doctor Doctor for their professionalism and quality of service. They delivered exactly what they promised; a good performance increase, and no black smoke! There were also some nice touches like laminated dyno sheets, some Doctor Diesel/ECUTEK promotional gear and even a Doctor Diesel car deodoriser on my mirror.

What a difference :shock: The Triton now pulls like a freight train, and I can't get the grin off my face :lol:

*** Disclaimer, I have no association with Doctor Diesel, and received no benefit or discount for this review. ***
Last edited by BillMcQuade on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm

great review mate, and what was the cost ?
snakesoup

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:41 pm

snakesoup wrote:great review mate, and what was the cost ?

$1550.

During my enquiries I found prices ranging from $1200 (no dyno) to $2500 (also no dyno).

Dyno ranges from $1500 to $3000+ :shock:

$1200 seems to be the going rate for just a base map load. Having seen how good the base map is, if you had a bog stock vehicle, you could probably take that option without any issues.

The more expensive no-dyno option is a bit steep, as was the $3k+ :?

IMHO, things like exhaust and snorkel make optimisation more worthwhile, so it's worth the extra coin to have it on the dyno. Some of the more expensive (dyno and non-dyno) quotes I got, were from places that tried to feed me rubbish on how much power/torque (+ 50%) I would be getting, with no impact on reliability :lol:

Yeah, I can manipulate figures too............

To quote the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson;

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics".

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:49 pm

your manual bill??
nice figures if so
i drove a manual ml while mine was getting its tick up and yes huge difference in the cars
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:50 pm

coughy wrote:your manual bill??
nice figures if so
i drove a manual ml while mine was getting its tick up and yes huge difference in the cars

Yes, manual.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion