The ET Mod installation

Anything Triton related

The ET Mod installation

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:43 am

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The Moderation Team here at NewTriton have decided to take the unusual step of moderating within an existing post. This step has been taken in order to preserve the open nature of this forum whilst still achieving a level of responsibility to members to provide sound information.

We feel it is important that people who may be considering this modification be fully aware of the known limitations and risks associated with its installation.

Members are advised that this modification, as described in this thread, is not the preferred method. The original poster of this thread, GLX-R Alex has copied this idea from other threads where it was previously mentioned without incorporating important information later posted in those threads.

These threads are here (3 pages), and here (2 pages).

There is also quite a good deal of information about an alternative product in the Platinum Section, for those members who support the forum through their membership.

The Moderation Team feel that it is important to note the following:

1. This modification, while it may work in some vehicles, in some circumstances, has not been tested on a range of different vehicles in different conditions. It is known that the resistance value is incorrect for MN Tritons and late model Pajeros.

2. It is known that this modification may not work at higher altitudes or in extremely cold conditions or it may cause issues with the Engine ECU by mis-reporting to an excessive degree.

3. In vehicles running high states of tune this modification could prevent the throttle butterfly from closing when required to prevent over-run. Over-run is a condition where the engine revs uncontrollably and can lead to engine destruction.

4. Execution of this modification, as explained in this post, may lead to failure of the resistor and/or the connections. Members are advised to read the links above wherein far better and more reliable methods of installation are explained.

5. This modification, altering a pollution control device, is illegal, as with all such modifications. Any member who undertakes to instal this modification does so at their own risk.

As mentioned in other threads I thought I would give the ET (electronic trickery) mod on my current auto ML triton. I've fully blanked the EGR at the exhaust manifold but you can feel the intake butterfly varying on constantly trying to suck EGR gas in. It actually affects driving.

Today I carried out this little mod with great results. I believe it tricks the ecu with the air box temp sensor that it is actually low temperature and the EGR never functions.

My overall impression after carrying out this mod was worth while. The truck actually feels a little more spritely and punchier off the mark. The throttle buttery is now totally stagnant and fully open all the time. I can observe this on the Scangauge. It has removed that closed throttle dead spot when taking off. The shutdown function off the butterfly is totally un affected. Maybe it's adding extra fuel for the low temps.

Here the circuit diagram showing the simple resistor n the Black/Blue wire if the intake sensor.
Click to view larger picture

6K8 resistor sourced from Jaycar electronics. 45c for the whole pack.

Locate and cut the Black/Blue wire

Bit of shrink wrap on the wire first.

Solder resister in place. Orientation doesn't matter.

Shrink the tube over with a lighter

Re wrap the cable with some black tape factory style.

Can't be seen.

See TPS number on scangauge. Reads now a constant 99 which means throttle butterfly wide open. Previously it would vary constantly anywhere between 20 and 99 as the EGR system was operating.

I think it's a worthwhile mod for 45c and stops the damn limp modes.

Carry out at your own risk.

Sharing is caring.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added caveats and removed reference to test in title
GLX-R Alex

Re: The ET Mod insatalation and full test.

Postby the d on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 pm

So is the IAT constantly reading 41 degrees or is that the actuall temp.. By fooling it into thinking its cold it will use more fuel so you lose your economy.
the d

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm not too fussed about economy, I'm filling up soon and will monitor the economy figures. Definitely a bit feistier and the auto shifting a bit mor positively.
GLX-R Alex

Postby motoz on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Did you leave the blank in as well ?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:23 pm

I did
GLX-R Alex

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:27 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Carry out at your own risk.

Exactly. Interesting to see that with all the recent discussion on this mod you've managed to totally ignore the advice given on how to do it properly.

the d wrote:So is the IAT constantly reading 41 degrees or is that the actuall temp.. By fooling it into thinking its cold it will use more fuel so you lose your economy.

There are two sensors. The one that you're talking about as reading 41degC is further downstream. The sensor that's combined with the MAF doesn't register on most scangauges - you'll need a high end scanner to actually see the output from it. The mod doesn't increase fuel consumption, if anything it seems to improve. Remember that this is a diesel not a petrol and that making the mix richer isn't the solution. Even on a petrol, the mixture will be controlled by input from engine temperature, not ambient air temperature.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby new44 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey there are that many post on this subject, its hard to know
Where to start. Ive read heaps on here about
Blank etc, just where is the other method
For ET trickery

Cheers
new44

Postby mad992 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 pm

thanks for sharing this mod with us Alex :D let us know how she goes
mad992

Postby srb on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:46 pm

:lol::lol: Oh the confusion! :P

So many opinions now... Who knows what to do?.. We can call this one the amazing 6k8 super duper thingy mo bob. Use with a dose of 2T oil for best effect.;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:08 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
GLX-R Alex wrote:Carry out at your own risk.

Exactly. Interesting to see that with all the recent discussion on this mod you've managed to totally ignore the advice given on how to do it properly.

the d wrote:So is the IAT constantly reading 41 degrees or is that the actuall temp.. By fooling it into thinking its cold it will use more fuel so you lose your economy.

There are two sensors. The one that you're talking about as reading 41degC is further downstream. The sensor that's combined with the MAF doesn't register on most scangauges - you'll need a high end scanner to actually see the output from it. The mod doesn't increase fuel consumption, if anything it seems to improve. Remember that this is a diesel not a petrol and that making the mix richer isn't the solution. Even on a petrol, the mixture will be controlled by input from engine temperature, not ambient air temperature.

What advice? Buy an adapter loom with the same resistor in it instead of paying 45c ?

Which part didn't i do properly? I used shrink wrap and everything. That's not ghetto. Advanced installation technique.

It's going choice bro
Last edited by GLX-R Alex on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLX-R Alex

Postby viking shippy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:11 pm

srb wrote::lol::lol: Oh the confusion! :P

So many opinions now... Who knows what to do?.. We can call this one the amazing 6k8 super duper thingy mo bob. Use with a dose of 2T oil for best effect.;-)

Where do you put the oil... on your maf sensor....?..?? Lol
Gee wiz and I thaught when I bought this truck that there was nothing to do to the motor.... wrong I was..
I wish. I knew what is in that little wiz bang thing of Tonys....
Last edited by viking shippy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:11 pm

It's a pretty rough old install mate and you've used more resistance than you needed to but hey whatever.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

How much do you recommend?

There is nothing rough about it. Are you an electrical engineer?

I suppose I can just step down in resistance until the EGR becomes active again. I thought the idea was to keep it shut? The current value does the job.
GLX-R Alex

Postby baito on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:59 pm

I fail to see how it's a "rough" install? It has been soldered heat shrunk and taped back up to resemble factory? What else could have been done? I won't comment on the resistance as I have no idea on that front

Cheers
baito

Postby viking shippy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Rough install ...looks fine to me...Dave...how would you do better?
viking shippy

Postby snakesoup on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 pm

lol yeah Dave fill us in???
snakesoup

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:37 pm

If 6.8K is the wrong value, what is the correct one please, or would a range of values work?
I also cannot find any additional info on this mod, so can I ask for directions please?

I've a GLX-R 20134 now a month old, have done the catch can, egr blank, aux secondary 2u diesel filter, electric windows operational without the ignition on mods etc.

Cheers, John
kitemanwest aussie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:53 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:
I believe it tricks the ecu with the air box temp sensor that it is actually low temperature and the EGR never functions.

What advice? Buy an adapter loom with the same resistor in it instead of paying 45c ?

How much do you recommend?

There is nothing rough about it. Are you an electrical engineer?

I suppose I can just step down in resistance until the EGR becomes active again. I thought the idea was to keep it shut? The current value does the job.

Look I've had just about enough of this.

The suggestion that the commercial version of this is the same resistor is just bullshit. Not true. 100% false. You should withdraw that immediately.

Secondly, the thread title is equally misleading. Full test? Right. You mean your engine didn't blow up. Since I've mentioned the title since when is that how you spell installation?

How much do I recommend? Not my role to tell you how to do it properly. Or reveal the results of someone else's proper testing.

As to roughness - I'd be that rough on a speaker connection maybe but on an important engine sensor connection subject to constant heat and vibration? One layer of heat shrink may turn out to be enough. Who knows? If you'd actually read all of Koshari's posts on it, including the recent discussions you would have seen that he re-inforced his setup better than that. I'm not going to describe how because I actually think it is very important that you go back and read the whole thing. Which you obviously didn't. The commercial version is also reinforced with more than a single layer of heat shrink but again it's not my role to spell it out.

The idea is to keep it shut and this will do it (on an ML) but I would have thought that if you were going to feed false values to an important sensor in a complicated machine your goal might be to feed it the least false value that will achieve that goal.

Now I mentioned above that it was not my role to fix your work, and that's true.

What I do think is my role though is to try and protect people on the forum generally from misinformation and/or mods that might have issues with them or whatever. So where mods are illegal for example you'll often see some comments added about that.

The little caveat:

Carry out at your own risk.

Sharing is caring.
just doesn't quite do it for me I'm afraid.

If you'd read all of the discussion after Koshari's original posts you'd have seen it had already been said that a lower value resistor would do the job. You'd also have seen what Koshari did with his to make it a bit stronger. You might even have seen that there is a better spot (imho) back towards the back of the airbox to tuck things away. And you might also understand that it's possible to design one of these mods so that you can switch it on and off - say for dealer services or diagnostic purposes.

So clearly I've failed on this occasion because all of that discussion was to prevent someone doing what you've done - just whack it in without even understanding to any real extent how it works. You've said what you believe it does (and you're probably right) but to me that means you didn't 'know' for certain what it does but you went ahead and took the risk anyway.

And then to compound things, even after koshari backed away from it a bit and said look I'm not saying everyone should go out and do it just because I did it and it worked for me, you've basically posted up a whole thread suggesting that everyone should go ahead and do it because you did it.

Now obviously everyone can take their own views on this stuff and everyone will. I've said before I am a strong believer in the product out there which is doing this job and I can see how some might think I'm hopelessly conflicted and that this is me trying (again) to protect Tony's sales. But I'll say yet again that it's not about that at all - although if people who don't know one way or the other are going to start spreading bullshit about it then I will be all over that like I would any other rank dishonesty. Nevertheless it's one of the difficult tasks which befall forum moderators that they have to try and be fair and balanced and I'd like to think I'm about as fair as they come. God knows I try.

In this case I'm calling it like I see it. You've copied someone else's idea, not executed it as well as the original, sledged another product you know nothing about and basically misled people about it, and you've then gone and advertised the whole thing for the rest of the world to copy. That's about as far away from ideal as I'm prepared to tolerate frankly.

I haven't taken the step of locking the thread or removing it at this stage but if it degenerates any further then that is what will happen. If it has to stay up I really think you need to go back and whack some bigger disclaimers in because history suggests that no one is going to get all the way down to this post and bother to read it and understand it. And you need to go back and correct your false statement that I've mentioned about 3 times now.

Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Dave by all means post your opinion
And disagree if you want...
But to threaten to censor and shut a thread down..
Because in your opinion nobody should copy, simplify, improve and experiment...with somebody else's publicly posted Concept....is just plain silly..unless they have taken steps to protect their intellectual property and or design..
If that was the consensus in this world today...
we would still be driving the 1963 vw Beatle...
Chill out Dave mimicking is the highest form of flattery .....anyways..
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Mate you've entirely mis-read what I said. He's perfectly entitled to do whatever he wants to his truck. He is not perfectly entitled to misrepresent what someone else is doing. And, my view, and it is a view that counts, is that it is not good practice to represent something as a tried and true modification when it is not that.

I'm not threatening to censor anything - well apart from stuff that's untrue. What I was saying was that if this whole thing turns into a big all in brawl then it will have to go. Which is a different thing entirely. And I was recommending some edits which might make the whole thing a less risky proposition for others. There's only so much I can do to try and help people to help themselves but I should at least try I would have thought.

Cowboy Dave

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 am

Mate. Do what you want.

I haven't stolen anyone's ideas. It's been PLASTERED all over the site for weeks. I thought I would just give it a go. My result were good. In fact my shitty company ML drove like a new vehicle this morning. End of story.
GLX-R Alex

Postby al coholic on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 am

I guess the other point for me is..... it's all about supporting those forum members that put in the time and effort into a product that will benefit the majority of the forum.....not going against the grain because you can do it a few bucks cheaper.

Much like all those members who paid $10 for a 50c blanking plate ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby hvac guy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:04 am

When wright posted this months ago he did not ask for a dime. Fair go guys if tony had post about it first then fair enough. but I will say I had done wrights mod first and it worked but then seeing about Tony's mod I deemed this better as I was told there are different components used with adjustment.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:08 am

I agree to a point with you all
Somebody will alwase try to do it cheaper and better or worse...
(Bunnings is capitalising on this it doesn't make it easy for me to earn a living)
I didn't buy a blanking plate cause it was far better for me to make one out of copper in my workshop straight away..(hasn't melted by the way)
I believe in free enterprise
I believe in freedom of choice and speech
So as long as we are honest ,Following the forums rules and respecting others inc...sponsors product promoting rights and not overstepping the mark and treading on peoples toes.....
We wouldn't have half the shit that goes down in this forum if some applied this..
And in the early days I was guilty of breaking the rules...
But I've grown since then....
And still I have my haters....
I say cherio I'm off to deliver a replica Viking ship to Newcastle hbr so she can get a piggy back home to Russia.....cheers boys
viking shippy

Postby Homer on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:12 am

If you can't afford $50 or are simply too much of a scab to pay $50 for a modification that has been invented, thought out, tested, manufactured correctly and then supplied at what is less than the cost of a decent carton of beer then you deserve all the crap anyone decides to give you.

Go and buy a Great Wall.

F'n scabs...I hate 'em :roll:

People whinge about what is going wrong with this country and our future prospects and this thread right here says it all in a nutshell.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to General Discussion