Alternatives to the Triton (ute)

Anything Triton related

Alternatives to the Triton (ute)

Postby bountycoconut on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi,

I know this is a triton forum, but I was wondering on the alternatives to the triton.

I am aware of the other thread titled 'alternative 4x4s' but i thought it was too broad given it also included wagons.

I joined this forum as I was thinking of getting the triton MN but am a bit hesitant now with the issues i've read.

How do these issues compare with other issues in the competitor offerings? (Hilux, Navara, Ranger, Dmax etc).

Could you say that the majority of these issues are due to fair 'wear and tear' from 4x4ing?

I want to exclude the landcruiser utes as they're too expensive for me, as well as the amarock due to reliability issues.
bountycoconut

Re: Alternatives to the Triton (ute)

Postby baito on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Mate it's a triton forum, if someone has had an issue you will read about it here, because people come here for help, but don't let that persuade you from getting one, they are great trucks, but you won't really read the good stories as much. Go to any forum about the different utes and you will always see issues people are having.

In saying that if I had more coin I would have brought a ranger, but a dual cab for sub $30,000 ya can't go wrong
baito

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:42 pm

At under 30k for a new Triton drive away there are no alternatives.
What "issues" bother you?
mitzikatzi

Postby PhatVelvet on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:07 pm

As above, and any issues tritons may have are raised here so they can be worked through and resolved to everybodys benefit. All new cars will have issues, I bought mine in May last year and it doesn't have any issues that haven't been resolved by this forum. But for what I paid I definately don't regret the purchase at all. A mate bought a new hilux at the same time for quite a lot more, triton outperformed it off road stock, and since we've both modified our vehicles there's been nothing he can do that I can't.
PhatVelvet

Postby bountycoconut on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:21 pm

good to hear.

Im also on ford forums and their sediments are things like 'Ill never buy a ford again!'
bountycoconut

Postby Amaroo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm not into the 'my mate said' type of stuff but I took my mate wheeling today and he rode in my Triton for a few hours and we got chatting about our respective vehicles (he has a new Wildtrak Ranger which never goes offroad, just tows his caravan).

He's had a lot of issues and rarely ever gets a straight answer from the dealer about the fix on each issue. It got flat bedded back to the dealer in the first week he owned it among other things. So price certainly doesn't indicate quality.

From a Great Wall through to a fully specced Ranger, I honestly think it's just plain old luck that determines whether you get a lemon or a keeper.

I'm not actually all that fussed if a problem occurs and is rectified, problems that can't be rectified on the other hand really take the shine off the vehicle.
Amaroo

Postby al coholic on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 pm

UAV cant talk highly enough of his BT50 today.....maybe you need to buy one of those :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, asking that Q on a Triton forum is only going to give you pro Triton responses :roll: As has already been alluded too.....you will only read about issues on any brand forum, thats what they are for ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby UAV on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Bt50
UAV

Postby bill65 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:59 pm

:lol: :lol:
UAV wrote:Bt50
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:04 pm

UAV wrote:Bt50

See :lol: :lol:

Just hope you get a good BT50 that doesnt blow its motor or turbo like the numerous ones sitting at Mazda workshops ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby mIwoo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:06 pm

i seen a ranger today with a 2" lift with 33's and 5 k worth of bar work and lights.... looked the goods.

It would want to for $50 k too.....
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby UAV on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 pm

50k in 18months, running 33s since new. No problems.
UAV

Postby DrewXT on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:28 pm

I currently drive an Amarok, and love it - although I'm not sure what reliability issues you're referring to...

All manufacturers have issues with SOME of their vehicles, and forums tend to bring out the issues, rather than the hundreds of people who have no issues at all...

I think the Triton is an exceptional truck for your money, and the only thing that encouraged me to switch to the Rok from the Triton is we have been hanging out to buy one since their first press release, and after a long test drive (had one for 2 days), I wasn't convinced that my back was going to cope too well with the seats, which I didn't find all that comfortable... Also thought that the dealer we were talking to (closet to home) was a massive knob, and didn't seem to know all that much about the vehicle, nor seem interested in selling us a vehicle with accessories that would have ended up being around a $50k deal

Had a Hilux a few years ago, and no issues with it either...

For me, if money was no object, I'd probably get a Landcruiser ute, and put Recaro's in the front of it, but like most people, I don't have a money tree :)

End of the day, how you manage your relationship with the dealership you buy/take your vehicle to for servicing, and your attitude when something goes wrong tends to determine the outcome of any issues you encounter...
DrewXT

Postby UAV on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:42 pm

To be honest, they are all pretty good these days. Well all the newer ones are and they will all have their issues one way or another. And that problem with that is you always read and hear about the bad things and rarely about the good......

My2c

Hilux- proven, pretty reliable, most aftermarket Acc, lots around so parts are easy

Dmax- but of an underdog IMO as they are super reliable and their engines are actually rated at a minimum 500 thousand kms before a rebuild, they maybe slightly underpowered compared to everything else but at the cost of durability and reliability of the others. Driveline is also excellent and strong.

Colorado- obviously similar to dmax with more power and a few other things. But dmax is better IMO.

Amarok- I think they are pretty good, be make good cars but are generally expensive to fix.... I only know a small amount about them really and the people I know with them haven't had any problems.

Ranger/bt50- obviously I think they are pretty good. Every one has their own reasons for buying. For me it was price(bt50), factory locker, electronics such as downhill control, a big one was ability to fit 33s with no lift at all, engine and chassis are excellent, and time will tell on reliability and parts.

Triton- excellent bang for your buck, well priced and lots of features, but getting a bit long in the tooth compared to other models (as is the hilux) the are a good all rounder work/play/touring and are pretty reliable. If it was a money decision triton would probably be the best but as I think you get the most for you money buying a triton these days.

Navara- don't like them. Know quite a few people that had had lots of problems, they tend to break easy, need an illegal 5" lift to fit 33s

Hope this helps.

Tim
Last edited by UAV on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
UAV

Postby c-dale on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:02 pm

110 Defender dual cab might be worth considering
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bountycoconut on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 am

UAV wrote:To be honest, they are all pretty good these days. Well all the newer ones are and they will all have their issues one way or another. And that problem with the is you always read and hear about the bad things and tersely about the good......

My2c

Hilux- proven, pretty reliable, most aftermarket Acc, lots around so parts are easy

Dmax- but of an underdog IMO as they are super reliable and their engines are actually rated at a minimum 500 thousand kms before a rebuild, they maybe slightly underpowered compared to everything else but at the cost of durability and reliability of the others. Driveline is also excellent and strong.

Colorado- obviously similar to dmax with more power and a few other things. But dmax is better IMO.

Amarok- I think they are pretty good, be make good cars but are generally expensive to fix.... I only know a small amount about them really and the people I know with them haven't had any problems.

Ranger/bt50- obviously I think they are pretty good. Every one has their own reasons for buying. For me it was price(bt50), factory locker, electronics such as downhill control, a big one was ability to fit 33s with no lift at all, engine and chassis are excellent, and time will tell on reliability and parts.

Triton- excellent bang for your buck, well priced and lots of features, but getting a bit long in the tooth compared to other models (as is the hilux) the are a good all rounder work/play/touring and are pretty reliable. If it was a money decision triton would probably be the best but as I think you get the most for you money buying a triton these days.

Navara- don't like them. Know quite a few people that had had lots of problems, they tend to break easy, need an illegal 5" lift to fit 33s

Hope this helps.

Tim

Thanks Tim, that's the kind of thing I wanted to know.

I like the sound of Isuzu bringing their commercial durability experience of trucks and bringing it to the consumer market. From the brochure it sounds like they're making them for the long term, making them solid and last a while instead of the other car makers making them only last a generation or two before they poop. It is probably slower than the others but for me reliability comes first.

3.5 ton towing too! (i wanted the MN for the 3 ton towing).

How available are parts?

So it looks like I'll be getting the triton or d-max. (Ill do some more research on the d-max forums)
bountycoconut

Postby Jaymac92 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 am

Only reason I got a Triton over a DMAX was the great value for money (GLR model was cheaper than a GLX brand new go figure!) otherwise absolute no brainer for me was the dmax. Best ute on the market IMHO
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby baito on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 am

I drive a dmax 2 wheel drive for work, I don't think it's as comfy as triton, more low down power on take off( May be the tiny wheels), not a bad truck but I would prefer my triton
baito

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:53 am

bountycoconut wrote:I like the sound of Isuzu bringing their commercial durability experience of trucks and bringing it to the consumer market.

Isuzu have been making the Holden Rodeo since introduction and always had the D-Max - just not here.

UAV's summary is pretty close, I feel.

One other thing is that with a Triton comes newTriton.net. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bountycoconut on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 pm

hehe true.

I'll be honest, when I first looked at the triton i thought it looked weird,but it grew on me.
But looking at the bt50 now, it looks weird too. Will the looks of the bt50 grow on me? Probably not.

The ranger looks awesome but it is out of budget. (more so than the bt50), but having had fords in the past, i'm a bit weary of them. I know they're made in thailand, so probably better build quality but im still a bit suspicious haha.

If the ford f series came to Australia again I'd be very keen though.
bountycoconut

Postby UAV on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:50 pm

It will grow on you and who cares what everyone else thinks. Just buy what makes you happy and you can customise it to look awesome! Maybe like a custom tray on a triton or something....... ;)
UAV

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm

How do intend to customise the giant smiley face UAV? :P
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby UAV on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Can't help it if my car is happy being in front of the competition....

Haha...jokes!

.....last triton dig, I swear
UAV

Postby christocv on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:17 pm

2008 triton, 1050000 on the clock. a better 4x4 than my previous land-cruiser, and no issues as yet. go for it.
christocv

Postby har05l on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:32 pm

christocv wrote:2008 triton, 1050000 on the clock. a better 4x4 than my previous land-cruiser, and no issues as yet. go for it.

Over a million km's :shock: , surely a typo :?
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion