Replacing front/drivers seat

Anything Triton related

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi, has anyone replaced their drivers seat with an after market seat?

Just wondering as mine is flogging my back.
I was thinking of looking for a top line Lexus seat or something with lumbar support etc (maybe even electric if I can hammer some wires in to work it) from the wreckers, but don't know if there's any issue with air bags/seat belts etc for height, rail centres and cabin space etc.

Sometimes drive Bris to Mackay and other 7-10 hour distances and this bloody seat has me squirming after an hour. Taken priority over a 2" lift :o

Cheers,
Homer
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Re: Replacing front/drivers seat

Postby Eelesy on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Mud has replaced his with racing style ones, they look comfy but may not be what your after.

Also i think a few guys have packed up the front with washers to make it sit a little bit better.

Do you have seat covers on it at the moment?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby dadz on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:55 pm

I've seen some one change their seat to, but with racing types like recaro, not much with back support i have the same problem just 2 hrs driving my back is already killing me.
Visit us:
www.triton4x4club.com - Thailand Club
www.stradaclubph.com - Philippine Club
dadz

Postby McSumWay on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:12 pm

I had a similar problem in my Hilux as I have a bad back.

Fitted Recaros with pump up lumbar support and haven't looked back.

Pricey though - around 2 grand each - but you can search though wreckers as imported surfs had them standard - then just purchase the lumbar support which can just be slid into the backrest. They also sell each piece so if any foam is wrecked they can be replaced.

Not to mention tha any auto trimmer could also trim them to suit your existing trim.

Click to view larger picture

Warren
McSumWay

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 am

'Saurus, I got the factory neoprene covers to protect the seats, but they don't add any comfort, that's for sure.

Hey Warren, can I sleep in your car mate! How good do they look. I'll be calling the wreckers today. Thanks heaps!!!!!!!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Homer have you had any luck with the seat swap out? after my recent bike accident the triton's seats are absolute torture on my back. i have found a racing style seat for $300 (i have a lumber support system to add) a piece and sliders for $80, but im having a hard time finding a way to connect them to the floor. what were your thoughts on the install process?
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am

I gave up mate. It would be easy to do - that is make up a bracket/plate to fit the seat slides and have the holes drilled to suit whatever seats are available, but it was the whole engineer approved thing that put me off....that and the cost of good seats :shock:

I found the racing style seats little better and really hard. They would need almost total reupholstering.

I think I was on the right track with hunting down wreckers for quality seats though....many are electric as well and wouldn't take much to wire in ;) then they will adjust in many different planes and you can usually find a decent setup.
Thinking late model Statesman/Fairlane etc.

I guess now with the number of not quite legal mods like tyres/wheels etc I should just make a solid adapter plate that I know is strong enough and be done with it....bugger the engineering.

In the interim I found the seat spacers and an inflatable lumbar support has worked OK.

Would be nothing like a good seat though and wouldn't do for long drives.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Morgs n Jess on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

check out MSA seat covers and lumbar support inserts. from memory you can get up to four air bladders in each one and adjust to suit your back
Morgs n Jess

Postby Kyle173 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:37 pm

How do the glxr leather seats go are they any different
Kyle173

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Is that in the MN?
The ML GLS had leather but not the GLXR...in saying that they are electronically controlled which I think always gives better comfort as heights and squab angles can be set.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Someone was telling me that there is a very good locally made seat going into one of the current Triton models. Details in my head are sketchy...probably someone on the HC trip...might have been Tough Troop.

Could be worthwhile tracking the manufacturer down for the seats and getting the seat rails from them or Mits. Should all be legal in theory.

Apparently they are a special bit of kit...but details are sketchy.

Need another red :D
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:17 pm

The leather seats in the MN GLXR luxury pack models were pretty good. Electric and all that.

Does the challenger get offered with leather seats?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ollie65 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm

I was thinking of the Magna TL/TW seats my wifes car is the Magna AWD and those seats a nice to drive long distances in. Electric everything and some were leather as well ;)

Ollie
ollie65

Postby davebo on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

i've got the ML GLS leather seats. Yeah, they're electronically controlled, but i don't know that they're much more comfortable... it took forever to find the right position, and even the slightest touch and it's uncomfy again... my back was aching the first few weeks, but i'm starting to get used to it...

i was checking out the Recaro's at a 4wd show a few months back. they seemed the goods and came with the right sliders and everything... EXPENSIVE tho!! (about $2300 each)

the engineering is the biggest pain for any changes to that sorta stuff.. i had the same issue in my navara, the seats were pretty terrible for long drives, but again came down to money and pieces of paper and crap.
Famous last words.... "What Puddle??"
davebo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Ok i did a bit of research today, spoke to an engineer and he said use a bit of 6mm flat bar fold to desired shape and that should be fine, he will cost $550 up until the 19th of Dec, then the rules all change!!! he is not sure how much he is looking at charging after that (probably $800) BUT with that he would cover the wheels as well providing that they dont throw out the speedo too much (there is a tolerance, if it goes over then i'll have to get it calibrated and god knows how much that will cost).
So say $800 for him, $600 for the seats, $150 for the sliders and some handy work to knock up the brackets it might be worth doing. i'm off to an upholster tomorrow to see what that might cost. if i do go down the replacement seat path i'll post he bracket plans.
oh for a laugh i rang the stealers to see how much the GLS seats were and was told that you cant buy them as a whole unit only in parts, so i asked how much are the brackets/sliders........$733 each :shock: :o just imagine the cost of a complete seat :lol: :lol: :lol:
4x4fun

Postby davebo on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:24 pm

4x4fun wrote:oh for a laugh i rang the stealers to see how much the GLS seats were and was told that you cant buy them as a whole unit only in parts, so i asked how much are the brackets/sliders........$733 each :shock: :o just imagine the cost of a complete seat :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahaha i remember a few years back asking how much it'd cost to put EVO8 seats in my lancer. they came back with $13,400 EACH!!!! :o :o :o

now tell me that two seats are good value at $26,800..... i think i paid less than that for the car NEW!!!
Famous last words.... "What Puddle??"
davebo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:31 pm

:shock:
why hasn't there been some form of inquest into the spare parts industry. i'd be curious to know just how much it would be to build a new car from the spare parts division...
4x4fun

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm

I for one wont be bothering with engineering.
It will mean having to store the originals to put back in when I sell it but at this stage I'm looking at keeping it for quite a while.

As the ginger beer said, just make it strong and safe....it's not that hard. I mean what do you have to do to get wheels/tyres etc engineered?
Nothing.....pay the cash is all.

The hard part is tracking down decent seats. All the race type seats are just hard molded plastic type things and are worse than the originals without re-doing them big time....and they cost.

I like the idea of the Magna seats or anything out of a luxury type car.

I drive Cairns to Brisbane every year (same distance as Bris/Melbourne) and the most comfortable car for the entire length of the trip was the last series Fairlane.
Electric everything including lumbar and was just a pleasure to sit in hour after hour :)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:42 pm

You'll have to watch how they are fitted, the tritons planks are welded to the frame. if ur handy with a grinder and some liquid nails u should be fine :lol:
4x4fun

Postby trumpy955 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Surely it would be cheaper to get the originals bolstered up with extra foam from an auto trimmer ???
altho fords do have the best seats.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 pm

I had a 2000 Fairmont Ghia, leather seats about six electric adjustments and it was comfy as :D

Drove it to Perth and back no probs with back or anything.......
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm

It's a shame that Ford blew the budget on the seats, they could've used some of it to make better cars :lol: :lol: :lol:
4x4fun

Postby mad992 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:55 pm

my ba falcon work ute seats are shit :?

i think 380 or magna is the go :D
mad992

Postby Stevo8 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:41 pm

My 80 series had crap bucket seats, I put in some Ford Fairmont ones from a wrecker. A couple hundred bucks by memory, fully adjustable and comfy as. Not engineered but with seat covers you can't tell.
Now you've got me thinking about doing it all over.
Stevo8

Postby Trilo on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm

I was looking for some new seats as well and found this the other day .
http://www.stratos.com.au/vehicles/mitsubishi-triton-ml
Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Trilo

Next

Return to General Discussion