Replacing front/drivers seat

Anything Triton related

Re: Replacing front/drivers seat

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:45 am

Stratos are good seats from what I've read 8-)

Problem again is the price. It might be a handy link for an easy adaptor plate/fitting kit though.

I'm pretty sure I found these kits at Opposite Lock when I was first looking.

I snuck in and measured the bolt hole centres and posted it somewhere :roll:

I'll have a search and see if I can find the details and where I posted them :| :roll:

EDIT: Found another thread and the bolt centre post...

Homer wrote:Also Opposite Lock has a compliant 'adaptor plate' for fitting some of their after market seats (they had one pretty good seat, but still quite exy).

I snuck in and measured their plate once (sorry lost the bloody dimensions :roll: ) and armed with factory bolt centres as well as the Opp Lock ones, started doing the wreckers thing to see if I could find other seats to fit, but ran out of interest.

The problem was finding or knowing good seats to chase ie. what car has comfortable seats to start with?

I was chasing BMW 5 and 7 series (found a pair of leather 7 series seats for $400 - but wrong bolt centres :cry: ) and Merc's thinking they would have great seats - but not necessarily so...

Edit: Found this from my other whinging post. These are the bolt centres for std Triton and Opposite Lock adaptor plate:

I snuck a tape in and the seat mounts on the Stratos seat is 405mm across the front and 320mm front to back.

So, if anyone knows a comfortable seat in any car with tilt adjustment (most probably electric but some manual ones do it) that has bolt centres of:
Std Triton centres
Across front: 360mm
Front to back: 475mm
or
Stratos adapter plate centres
Across front: 405mm
Front to back: 320mm

So mate if you find a comfy set that will fit these centres - tell no one and make a motsa off selling second hand Lada seats to us members ;)

Here's a link to one short thread: Front Seats Help
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4x4fun on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Yeh Homer im looking at the adapter brackets from Stratos still $250 each and the seats are $1597 for driver (ie top spec) and $1115 the the passenger. just a wee bit out of my price range :(
i Spoke with the upholster today and he didn't recommend (want to :roll: ) strip the OE seats down and told me that my health fund will cover the cost of the driver seat! i rang them to confirm and they said thats not an option :x i'm thinking that i may have to go back to plan B, these are the seats im looking at $399rrp he'll do two for $598, they look and feel pretty good but i dare say you get what you pay for
Click to view larger picture

EDIT: oh and i already have the MSA lumber supports to go on.
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby Tony81 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

All reports I've read about these seats are that they are pretty good and I've sat in a few of them, they hold you snug. One thing I didn't really like about them was that the leg supports pushed my legs together and felt un-natural the red ones next to them look to be a bit wider (but that may be camera angle), I personally like the DRIFT seats or Issotta to me they were just a little more comfortable...
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4x4fun on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm hearing you Tony, but i found the Drifts were too wide for my shoulders and didnt give the support i needed for my back. i'm only a skinny runt with average size nuts so the leg thing isnt the end of the world for me :D
4x4fun

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm

I went to 2 upholsterers back when this thread started and both said don't bother?

Not really sure why but feel it was that front angle down issue...that the seat spacers fix.

I'm going quality 2nd hand if I go down this track.
Takes a bit more time to find but will be a better result than sitting on hard plastic ricer race seats I reckon.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

if i had racing seats like that 4x4fun... i probably wouldn't have a licence... :lol: thinking i was in a race car and speed everywhere.

but with racing seats like that how would they go on a long trip... might be snug and comfy sitting in them for five minutes.?
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:12 pm

I reckon we will all have different requirements and levels of support for spines, coccyx etc.

I keep thinking about what works for me and realised others have different injury's etc...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Since when is old age an injury homer....... :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Tony81 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:11 pm

4x4fun wrote: i'm only a skinny runt with average size nuts so the leg thing isnt the end of the world for me :D

That's not quite what I was talking about but I'll go with it.... ;)

What I did mean was that I felt as though I had to sort of bend my legs outwards to reach the clutch and accelerator, it's kinda hard to explain but it was uncomfortable, have you looked at Autotechnica or Momo, sorry, wow listen to the ricer come out in me :ugeek:
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 pm

4x4fun wrote:Yeh Homer im looking at the adapter brackets from Stratos still $250 each and the seats are $1597 for driver (ie top spec) and $1115 the the passenger. just a wee bit out of my price range :(
i Spoke with the upholster today and he didn't recommend (want to :roll: ) strip the OE seats down and told me that my health fund will cover the cost of the driver seat! i rang them to confirm and they said thats not an option :x i'm thinking that i may have to go back to plan B, these are the seats im looking at $399rrp he'll do two for $598, they look and feel pretty good but i dare say you get what you pay for
Click to view larger picture

EDIT: oh and i already have the MSA lumber supports to go on.

Who cares about the seats, look at those hectic mufflaaaaas!!!

Back on topic, I understand what is meant about the seats feeling like they squash your legs together. It feels like you're twisting your legs out in order to access the pedals, almost like they're joined at the knees rather than the hip. The reason and upholsterer won't want to touch the seats could be for the fact that the MN's have side-airbags in the sides of the drivers and front passengers seats (not sure on ML's). This also makes it difficult to swap the seats out for aftermarket ones, as you need to get ones with the same airbags otherwise you're seriously compromising your own safety in the event of an accident. This has been the main thing deterring me from swapping the seats out, as Recaro's are expensive buggers (regardless of how good they are).

My 2c anyway.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:23 am

Ahhh....yes the MN airbag thing...I forgot :oops:

I don't have that issue so I've lined up a couple of leather Statesman seats with electric everything :)

Will have to wait until after Christmas to get a mount bracket made, and then twist a couple of wires together and away we go :mrgreen:

I can see it now..every time I adjust the seat height the rear window will wind down :roll:

These seats still have the airbag and pre-tensioner controls and factory wiring in them (which I'll cut off or just let hang :roll: ) wondering if they would work on another car like the triton :?:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:17 pm

The airbags in your statto seats may make it feasible to swap out the MN ones... Definitely going to look into this now 8-)

fraz91

Postby al coholic on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:28 pm

fraz91 wrote:The airbags in your statto seats may make it feasible to swap out the MN ones... Definitely going to look into this now 8-)

You would have to be the member on here who has the biggest and grandest plans for the Triton Fraz, i dont think there is a mod you dont have plans for......

If only you werent on apprentice wages huh :roll: :lol: You might have some cash to spend on it :twisted: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby fraz91 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Yeah yeah, I know. But like anything its always going to be a working progress. I've got a boat in the front yard that needs a new mast and some hull work, as well as a tub to get rid of and a car to mod. By the time I'm finished, its going to be the most comfortable offroad weapon around :twisted:

fraz91

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:21 pm

half the fun is the dream and achieving it ;) You will get there! 8-)

//Really looking forward to see your install, Homer. We are all expecting a proper write up too please? :D
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4x4fun on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Who cares about the seats, look at those hectic mufflaaaaas!!!

Bogan Christmas tree :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fraz i hadn't thought of the leg thing like that,will defiantly look into it before i commit. thanks for the tip.
4x4fun

Postby har05l on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 pm

al coholic wrote:
fraz91 wrote:The airbags in your statto seats may make it feasible to swap out the MN ones... Definitely going to look into this now 8-)

You would have to be the member on here who has the biggest and grandest plans for the Triton Fraz, i dont think there is a mod you dont have plans for......

If only you werent on apprentice wages huh :roll: :lol: You might have some cash to spend on it :twisted: :lol:

I'm guessing the engine conversion has gone on the back burner hey fraz :lol: :lol: :lol:

I quite liked the feel of the VE SS seats. Good support all round, airbag compatible and very comfy :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:41 pm

This is on my to do list also.

Not sure which seat Im going to get though. Airbags aren't required in mine so I've got plenty of choice...

Will have to get the tape measure out I reckon, you have to be very careful the seat you buy isn't too wide otherwise you sit off-centre and its really weird. Or the door doesn't shut, centre console fouls etc.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Ok so to avoid starting a new thread before i have to ill ask this here as it is relevant.

Does anybody know an engineer in Brisbane that would be willing to sign off on a seat adapter design if i complete all the necessary design and calculations for it, for a cheap price (i.e. the engineer would have to do no work themselves, just acknowledge that my work shows the design meets the adr criteria)??

Ill try and track down someone anyway just figured id see if anyone had a suggestion as to whom to contact.
coxy47

Postby Kegsy on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Usually there is a list of engineers on your states road authority website... DOT / RTA etc.

Find those in the "commercial vehicle" field, and give them a call.

Just be wary some states the whole vehicle has to be engineered not just one particular mod, so the fee could be up there if there are quite a few mods requiring a look over. Generally these guys will write up the whole vehicle including any accessory that isn't factory fitted, even if legally that mod doesn't have to be engineered.

Either way you're better off, everything is 100% legal then and your insurer, police etc can't have a crack at you if the worst happens.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Yeh that's why i was looking into it. I have the mod code for the mod plate in queensland so hopefully i can just get that signed off. Unfortunately the engineering scheme in queensland is a joke.

Ill get someone through ale transport if i need to i just figured if anyone had used an engineer before in queensland i may as well use the same engineer if they were happy with the contact.

At least in my case my cars completely legal so either way i should be fine.
coxy47

Postby 4x4fun on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey Guys, got on to these people http://www.consoles.com.au/ who are essentially upholsters. They'll strip the original seats down and rebuild them by adding seat webbing, welding in new wings for shoulder support and adding new foam. Fully rebuilt and recovered for around $750 a piece. Considering i have already spent $700 on the monza seats pictured above, and have had the brackets made by a mate, i'm mot going to bother using these guys, but if i wasn't already committed i would defiantly go for them as you don't have to get them engineered (around $600) FYI. :D
4x4fun

Postby fraz91 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I wonder if they'd be able to turn the rear bench seat into a pair of buckets using the original bench? 8-)

fraz91

Postby Mr Aquaman on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 am

I fitted SAAS seats - here's the thread......

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10545
2007 ML 3.2 DiD - TDC PowerBox, EGR blanking plates, Turbotech manual boost controller, Unifilter, Boost gauge, SAAS GT racing seats
Mr Aquaman

Postby dazmit on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 am

coxy47 wrote:Ok so to avoid starting a new thread before i have to ill ask this here as it is relevant.

Does anybody know an engineer in Brisbane that would be willing to sign off on a seat adapter design if i complete all the necessary design and calculations for it, for a cheap price (i.e. the engineer would have to do no work themselves, just acknowledge that my work shows the design meets the adr criteria)??

Ill try and track down someone anyway just figured id see if anyone had a suggestion as to whom to contact.

My local mechanic in Redcliffe ( SR Automotive) assessed the Recaro fitting when i had the Triton and supplied the Blue mod plate - cost around $110. The bases were supplied from Ideal Seat co who are the importers of Recaro's so i just had to bolt them in etc.

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane Northside
dazmit

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion