Replacing front/drivers seat

Anything Triton related

Re: Replacing front/drivers seat

Postby VALERIO on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I replace the triton seats for a pair of "Corbeau LG1" with inflatable lumbar support. Maybe the best mod I ever made to my ute. look at here.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2900&start=225#p176910
VALERIO

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm

They're in!!!!

Click to view larger picture

i gotta say, getting in & out is a bit harder :lol: but they are much much more supportive. i still have to get em looked at by a boffin but for now they in and done!
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby Mr Aquaman on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 am

Looks great.
2007 ML 3.2 DiD - TDC PowerBox, EGR blanking plates, Turbotech manual boost controller, Unifilter, Boost gauge, SAAS GT racing seats
Mr Aquaman

mn seat replacement

Postby vol on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 pm

As everyone seems to know the triton seats are s@#t , just wondering if anyone has replaced them with other seats (am looking for a bit more than just spaces ) was thinking if top of range pajero would slip straight in and weather the wiring for electric seats are tucked away under carpet of my mn even though it doesn't have electric seats . cheers vol
vol

Re: mn seat replacement

Postby Morgs n Jess on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 pm

might help having a search to start with as a few have done it from replacementsto bolstering/refurb the old ones. I think monster rides also (forum sponser) does them
Morgs n Jess

Postby msrlo on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:42 pm

ML seats are not flash but the MN I thought were good
msrlo

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Seat spacers mate ;) . Makes all the difference. :)
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Homer recently looked into the wiring issues with a couple of other blokes from here. He won't post today though as he is quite devout and goes to church Saturday night and all Sunday. :P :P Or he might be on the piss tonight. Hopefully he or one of the others will post up about it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:18 pm

msrlo wrote:ML seats are not flash but the MN I thought were good

Hmmm, MN seats are an improvement on those in the ML. If you measure on the sub atomic scale. :roll:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby killa on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:47 pm

I'd be interested to see how you go with TOL Pajero seats. I'm assuming they should just bolt to the existing frame rails.

I have DiD's spacers and I reckon it makes the seat frame ~squirm~ during cornering but they are MUCH better than stock.

On a side note, I priced a Stratos suspension seat for mine the other day. Think I might need to submit 2 tax returns for that one :(
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby Sky Miner on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:33 pm

My seat is allready falling apart (MN) :o there's plenty of little foam bit's lying on the
carpet on the side you slide out' so im gessing it wont last long eather :roll:
Was there an issue that you had to get the new seat engineered if you replace the old one ??
not sure on that one :?
Mayby something to do with the side airbags....
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Homer on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 am

The MN leather seats would be the ones to look for 8-) ...otherwise I believe they are every bit as bad as ML seats.

You wont find any seats that bolt straight in...not even close (except the MN leather ones).

You will have to manufacture a bracket to adapt whatever new seats you get to the stock mounts and have it engineered. Not that hard (the engineered part) except for manufacturing a good strong bracket. It is not as easy as it sounds.

The Tritons are also narrow so you will have to find seats that are very close to the standard size or the door wont close or your consol will have to be removed ;)

As for power you will have to run a dedicated line to them with a 40/50 amp fuse. The factory wiring (in the ML ate least) doesn't seem to come with a loom tucked up anywhere and the wiring is a bit of a jumble. Just as easy to run a dedicated power wire.

You can buy Recaros with adaptors etc off the shelf I believe but they are very expensive and I don't think are the most comfortable option anyway....that being said, if I had plenty of cash I'd just buy them and be done with it for ease.

Click this link to go to a thread already dedicated to this subject http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1653&hilit=seats
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby wake jake on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Anyone found any seats that are a straight bolt in or close to it?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby Barney2803 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Yep I'd like to know that too?
Barney2803

Postby Homer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Short answer is no other than the gold plated Recaro or possibly Stratos :(
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby wake jake on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Damn looks like ill have to look into some custom work
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby Homer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm

About time I posted this info :oops: :oops:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

From this....

To this....electric WL Statesman seats...

Would look a little better if I cleaned the seats after storing them for 6 months :roll:

But the difference is night and day compared to seat spacers :mrgreen: You sit a little higher but can adjust the seat to overcome that.
On a long trip the difference is amazing. Removed pretty much all the aches and pains and fatigue from discomfort. Almost like my 2003 Pajero exceed in comfort and seat position (coil rear would help) :D these statesman seats are quite soft and well sprung.
They really take the jolt out of ruts as well as provide 5 way electric adjustment to make sure your driving position is suited to you.

All up required a 40 amp fused power source...I just split off the locker compressor under the passo seat :D
8 hardened 10mm x 25 bolts and nyloc nuts, 4 washers (didn't get the size as I found them lying around) and the fabricated mount brackets.

The seat is up higher because the Triton is narrow. As geek found you can overcome this by adjusting the back rest etc...the beauty of 5 way electric adjustment.
If you have it down where the std seats are you wont find a good seat that will fit in as the centre tailshaft/gbox hump comes down on an angle so raising the seat increases the available width.
Right now it is almost hard against the console and the door. You can just slide your hand down to work the controls with the door closed so the seat can't be mounted any lower.
On the plus side being that high the seating position is very much like a Pajero...you are in a chair like pozzy rather than having your legs out kinda straight. Immediately better posture for lower back complaint sufferers like myself although for short people you may not reach the pedals... :lol:

The washers are for the seat belt attachment to the seat. You will need to make sure the statesman seats come with the seat belt attached so you have the bolts (or a wrecker may have them but they don't like mucking around to give you a single bolt).
You will have to discard the seat belt buckle as the Triton one doesn't clip in but when you do, keep the little clip washer on the back of the statesman seat belt bolt.
Then all you do is add 2 washers and bolt the old Triton buckle to the seat....very simple.

5 minutes and $160 for certification :mrgreen:

For reference TI Mechanical - Tony 0418766863. He's mobile and came to the shop.

Homer
Valued Contributor

different seat

Postby tritonturbo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 pm

I find on my 2008 GLX dual cab the backrest doesnt stop me moving sideways in the seat . I was wondering if anyone has tried a different seat and what the results were?
tritonturbo

Re: different seat

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 pm

You mean like this?

or this?

or this?

Sure.

Press the SEARCH FORUM button up near the top of the page. Type "seat seats", click "Search for any terms" then click "Topic titles only"

Amazing, huh?
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby geoduck on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Amazing! Sure is I got nothing.
There is a big thread on seats look up Recaro.
geoduck

Postby Duck on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Yes the seats are not that flash hey :? But I don't know if they are bad enough to go to the trouble of getting a new seat installed, suppose it depends on how much driving you do, there might be a few people that have done it that will chime in with types & pricing etc. Good luck on the research.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby tritonturbo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 pm

I rung Recaro and a new seat with runners adaptor kit and modification plate over $2000 so the standard seat isn't so bad after all
tritonturbo

Postby tritonturbo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Search replacing front seat it has pictures of statesman seats fitted to a triton also pic of the brackets that were made to fit seats
tritonturbo

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:50 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:You mean like this?
<snip>
Amazing, huh?

I did that 5th and got this:

:lol:

;)
GrahamB

Postby viking shippy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:52 pm

I spoke to a old school motor trimmer who said that he could put in a air operated Lumbar support,, beef up the side bolsters and customise the seat to suit my frame and keeping the original seat covering..all for 250 bucks..went back to his factory a few weeks ago it was all shut up ...me thinks any trimmer could do this job..
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion