Trailer wiring - Can't find a socket!

Anything Triton related

Trailer wiring - Can't find a socket!

Postby astfgl on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm preparing to fit a genuine MN towbar, and I've run into a problem. I've located the wiring harness points in the engine bay and the bottom of the passenger footwell, but I can't find the one at the top of the footwell. I'm using two different scanned manuals I've found elsewhere in the forms, but neither matches exactly with my '12 MN.

I've included a photo with the kickpanel removed and one socket showing a the lower left, and I'd be REALLY grateful if someone would point out where the second one is!

Click to view larger picture

Thanks, glen.
astfgl

Re: Trailer wiring - Can't find a socket!

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Start here http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13146#p386350 and read the couple of posts which follow, one of which includes a photo of it. Apparently it is higher up than the diagram suggests.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:57 pm

It is way up next to ECU. There is virtually no room to get enough leverage to connect it properly. It nearly broke my spirit getting it together. :(
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby astfgl on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks, I did read that thread, but still couldn't find the socket. On the strength of your conviction, though, I had a feel around, and finally found it. There's three cable bundles coming in to the set of plugs behind the ECU bracket, and the socket was above and behind one of them. It appears to be held up there somehow as it won't pull down, but I've bent the bundle to the side so I can get a photo.

No idea how I'll plug into it, as it's still not directly visible. Perhaps a mirror and some swearing.

Many thanks, glen.
astfgl

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Move the ecu maybe?

I have one of those little inspection cameras which can help a bit. Maybe try taping your plug to a piece of dowel or a screwdriver or something to get it up there?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Speedy70 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Remove the ecu and it's easy. I had the same problem when I installed my trailer wiring. Took at least 30 minutes to get that plug hooked in. Anyway, about a month later I had to install the factory wiring loom for an electric brake controller. The instructions in that kit said to remove the ecu which made things very easy. Have no idea why the factory harness for hooking up the trailer wiring doesn't give the same instructions.
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fairmontpsbf on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Ditto Speedy70's post

Also fitted the factory wiring loom for the trailer brake and the ECU is moved to enable the connection.

Cheers
fairmontpsbf
Platinum Subscriber

Postby astfgl on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:21 am

It'll be about a week before I pick up the towbar and bits, so I'll take the opportunity to remove he rear bins. Getting the recovery hook off with a spanner was a fight, and I'll need more access to get in with a socket and the torque wrench.

I'm assuming that the battery needs to be disconnected to safely remove the ECU, are there any other gotchas that I need to look out for?

Cheers, glen.
astfgl

Postby OffRoadDave on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:25 am

Speedy is spot on, I pulled the factory trailer loom to install a the Mitsi brake loom and I pulled the ECU out as well. Be careful with the ECU plugs, I busted one of the clips on mine trying to figure out how it came undone. :oops:
OffRoadDave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 am

astfgl wrote:It'll be about a week before I pick up the towbar and bits, so I'll take the opportunity to remove he rear bins. Getting the recovery hook off with a spanner was a fight, and I'll need more access to get in with a socket and the torque wrench.

I'm assuming that the battery needs to be disconnected to safely remove the ECU, are there any other gotchas that I need to look out for?

Cheers, glen.

Have you still got the hook?

Cowboy Dave

Postby gspy4u on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:18 am

can use a long screw driver with the plug taped to the end of it, very hard to get it but it is there. Stupid place to put it if you ask me.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tmichel on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm

It took me three hours to fit and wire the towbar, 2 of those hours were hanging upside down trying to find this plug and plugging it in, eventually as suggested on here unbolted ECU and then was able to squeeze up and plug in.
tmichel

Postby Steve879 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Hey guys. I have an MN and have just out a factory towbar in, the kit was second hand and now have realised I'm short the 2 extra harnesses that come as well. It's looks from following the colours and plugs, it's just the power out to the rear trailer harness. I could just bypass it all but I guess if anyone has a pic of the 2 harnesses I could just manufacture them. If I new the pin outs of the connectors I would just replace them with new plugs and a copy of the harness. Thanks in advance.
Steve.
Steve879

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Steve879 wrote:Hey guys. I have an MN and have just out a factory towbar in, the kit was second hand and now have realised I'm short the 2 extra harnesses that come as well. It's looks from following the colours and plugs, it's just the power out to the rear trailer harness. I could just bypass it all but I guess if anyone has a pic of the 2 harnesses I could just manufacture them. If I new the pin outs of the connectors I would just replace them with new plugs and a copy of the harness. Thanks in advance.
Steve.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12240

Cowboy Dave

Postby Steve879 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks, had already read that one. He was where I'm at, I do electronics for a living so replacing the factory setup is no problem I was just trying to avoid that! I have half the harness, in my opinion the expensive bit, I just would like to know if like the poster on that link, what the red and white does! Once it cools down outside I'll have another go. If I work it out ill let you all know!
Steve879

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Cowboy Dave

Postby Steve879 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks again. That sums up what I thought, they really are just a straight through cable, with what I'm guessing is a negative coming back from the rear to get to a decent earth point. I'll have a chat to Mitsubishi tomorrow and see if I can buy the individual looms, which I doubt but no harm in trying. Otherwise I'll just run my own power from the front and plug into the red and white. Thanks for your help! And a great forum too!
Steve879

Postby astfgl on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:14 pm

tmichel wrote:It took me three hours to fit and wire the towbar, 2 of those hours were hanging upside down trying to find this plug and plugging it in, eventually as suggested on here unbolted ECU and then was able to squeeze up and plug in.

What he said, though unbolting the ECU was no help to me. Eventually I put it back on and sacrificed a bit of skin to the cause. Setting up a few milk-crates and a plywood sheet beside the door as a lying-on platform was very helpful, though.
astfgl

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Points for thinking there. Hate wriggling around in the footwell all twisted up.

Cowboy Dave

Postby damo83 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:36 am

G'day,
Just installed a genuine towbar and harness yesterday, thanks for the heads up here regarding the plug in the top of the kick panel. I ended up unplugging the connections to the ECU and this gave me just enough room.

At the back where the trailer plug harness connects in I have two bare wires in the new harness, one black and one blue. Does anyone know what these are for? I think I remember blue being for reverse lights in older trailer plugs, or is it brake controller? Nothing in the instructions about these wires.

Thanks.
damo83

Postby Snooozy on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Blue is normally electric brakes & I think black is accessory power
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:47 am

^^ Snooozy is right.

Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby damo83 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:07 am

Thanks guys.

I guess I should insulate them then. Thought it was weird that they are bare and no mention of it in the destructions.
damo83

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 am

Are they long enough to reach the plug? Usually only little screw terminals inside so pretty easy to terminate them in there where they belong.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:36 pm

if they are bare wires then I would be pretty sure they are not live. check with a multimeter or lest lamp.

if you are not using them for now & they do not reach the plug I would cover with heat shrink & seal them from moisture in case you need them later.

I dont bother with the factory wires for aux & brakes as I prefer heavier ones myself & ran new wires to the trailer.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion