Help with limp mode

Anything Triton related

Help with limp mode

Postby Mudme on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:06 am

Need some help guys, whenever I hook the boat up (440 hornet trophy 1.2 t)
And take off it's all good until I hit the hills and then under acceleration it throws up the traction lights and goes into limp mode, then I have to pull over turn it of and on again to get going. It's been into mitsu twice for this issue and they still haven't fixed it, last time they put a new ecu in it.

It only happens when I am towing, and not always on hills but always under acceleration, any suggestions before I call mitsu and lose my shit would be great

Cheers Matt

Also it only started happening since the 60k service (which the service guy said was just a coincidence) after he tried to tell me it might be because of the snorkel, at which point I laughed at him
Mudme

Re: Help with limp mode

Postby har05l on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:13 am

I would say its overboost especially if it's always under acceleration.

There was an ecu update to fix that a while ago and to be honest mine doesn't do it anymore.

Good luck and try to stay calm ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUF909 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 am

Yer mine does this, and I don't tow. It's always when going up long hills with throttle on. I have put it down to overboost. Think it's when I sustain ocee 23 psi.

I'll be looking in to this soon to bring down my psi.

Edit: has only started doing it since I put snorkel on. I also have 3" exhaust. So this allows more air to get in, which means I can get a little more boost.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby Tony on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 am

Find out what the CEL is... You will need a MUT3 or scan tool that takes vin no as the code is model specific. Will be P1298.

Every little thing can effect this condition. Is fuelling versus turbo aspect issue. If you change flow characteristics of inlet and or exhaust, its more likely to occur.
Another thing, if you have an EGR blank plate fitted, take it out as worsens the issue. Like Toyota D4D, the 4D56 can dump some overpressure via the EGR.

We have tried to contain the issue using dawes valves etc but is only 100% successful with a signal modifier on the map sensor.

Software updates from MMAL deal with under boost at lower barometric pressures. Nothing been done with overboost issue I'm aware of.

Aside of taking some fuel out at higher RPM, there is no way of reducing boost as the VGT is already out off attack position.

An exception to this is, I have seen one dealer change the actuator so VGT could not initially make over 16 psi. (Commonly done with ZD30 Nissan) This lowers map sensor signal to ECU therefor reduces the fuel. Result, one very underpowered triton.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 am

Hint....

You can manage this issue by backing off so boost drops to around 18psi for a few seconds, then holding down in cycles.

Do a hard trial run on a quiet road to find out how long till CEL trips. Some take around 42 seconds. Idea is, learn to ease off (just back to around 18psi) in cycles as above just prior to overboost. Not a fix, but makes it easier to live with as is manageable.

With an auto, you will need to hold the transmission in desired gear or it will "hunt" between gears doing the above. Forget using cruise control in the hills.
Last edited by Tony on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mudme on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 am

I don't have an egr blank in, and I have a scan gauge but it isn't showing me a code
Mudme

Postby Mudme on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:07 am

And mine is manual
Mudme

Postby Tony on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:10 am

Your scan tool wont show code as is mitsu specific :| . Is p1298 VGT system malfunction. Or over pressure.

I have worked with these since late 09. Trust me on this.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:19 am

tuf909 wrote:....snip..... It's always when going up long hills with throttle on. I have put it down to overboost.

....snip.... I also have 3" exhaust....snip...

More likely caused by the exhaust and not the snorkel.
L200Shogun

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 am

Across the counter (or off the internet) readers will not show a lot of the Mitsu codes as (as Tony says) they are specific and can only be read by the MUT.

Good for generic stuff. Nothing like the real thing.
And keep in mind generic readers only point you to a possible general area of focus.

Good training and experience will get you the rest of the way.
kitemanwest aussie

Postby TUF909 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:38 am

L200Shogun wrote:
tuf909 wrote:....snip..... It's always when going up long hills with throttle on. I have put it down to overboost.

....snip.... I also have 3" exhaust....snip...

More likely caused by the exhaust and not the snorkel.

Never happened with exhaust. I had it on for fee years before snorkel and never had a limp mode untill first trip with snorkel on.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby Mudme on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:46 pm

So I got it back from mitsu today, and when I dropped if off I told them again that it only started happening right after my 60k service so the went over every thing they had done and found that they had put one of the vac hoses on the wrong spot and that's what was causing my limp mode.

So I'll see if it's fixed once I tow the boat again
Mudme

Postby The Talker on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Check Forum thread "Problem towing - need help". Very good responses from contributors, especially Cowboy Dave. Recent posts mid last year.
The Talker

Postby Dadandson on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:37 am

G'day All.
Just picked up a 2015 GL MN diesel Manual triton. went well for the test drive, and travelled 150 k in the first two days with no issue. Then I stopped (left car idling for about a min,) to pick up some mangos from a road side stall, and when I pulled on to the road again, it lost all power. Pulled off and turned off the motor, restarted, and got around 7 to 10 K down the road and lost power again, (would only idle so I take it this is Limp Mode)happened another 3 times before I got home, with it working for 3 or 4 K's before losing power again. Will be contacting the dealer on Monday, but till then, am looking for info on what they may find.(no dash light came on during this)

And as a general Q, is it possible to get a cruise control unit either Gen of AM for this model?

Non turbo, 2x4.
Dadandson

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:07 am

Silly question.... But you havent put petrol in by mistake?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Dadandson on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Dadandson wrote:G'day All.
Just picked up a 2015 GL MN diesel Manual triton. went well for the test drive, and travelled 150 k in the first two days with no issue. Then I stopped (left car idling for about a min,) to pick up some mangos from a road side stall, and when I pulled on to the road again, it lost all power. Pulled off and turned off the motor, restarted, and got around 7 to 10 K down the road and lost power again, (would only idle so I take it this is Limp Mode)happened another 3 times before I got home, with it working for 3 or 4 K's before losing power again. Will be contacting the dealer on Monday, but till then, am looking for info on what they may find.(no dash light came on during this)

And as a general Q, is it possible to get a cruise control unit either Gen of AM for this model?

Non turbo, 2x4.

My blue, should have checked under the hood. Turbo Diesel.

Just drove 80K with no issue....
Dadandson

Return to General Discussion