What size side awning do you have?

Anything Triton related

What size side awning do you have?

Postby sydneymark on Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi all,

am looking at getting a pull out side awning, but already getting confused.

I obviously want as big a shade area as possible, and i see that i can get a 3m x 3m long awning, however my local ARB guy says that with the dual cab of the Triton I can't mount it off the front cab and the rear canopy due to the flex on rough roads, which limits my size to only 2m.

Any comments/input most welcome
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: What size side awning do you have?

Postby Joel on Tue May 26, 2015 5:50 pm

I have a 2.5x2.5m awning mounted one end to the cab and one end to the canopy. I can imagine that at times of extreme flex it could put pressure on the racks and worst case dint the cab where the front rack is attached but I cant say I have had any problems with it. I was also told that by the local arb shop but decided for the off road driving I do the risk was minimal.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue May 26, 2015 5:51 pm

im running a 2.5x2.5 rhino awning. no dramas with flexing or anything but i do have 4 mounts for it so its rock solid and makes it harder to steal :lol:
mrtuaniiex

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue May 26, 2015 5:52 pm

its also one of the slimmest awnings when packed up
mrtuaniiex

Postby sydneymark on Tue May 26, 2015 6:00 pm

well, I do expect (hope) to a fair bit of rough road driving, I know on my last trip i saw the roo bar moving around up to a couple of inches on a couple of really bad sections.

i wonder if a 2.5m would flex too much if only mounted to the canopy or cab
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Have you looked at a fox wing awning for extra shade?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby sydneymark on Tue May 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Joel wrote:Have you looked at a fox wing awning for extra shade?

yup, doesn't really do anything for me though, too big even. had a look at their videos and even they say that it's a 2 man set up.

I like the simplicity of a pull out awning,

i want something that I can do on my own, also i like the idea of having a fly net room to attach, the memory of the flys at innaminka and birdsville are etched on my memory!
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 pm

I have a 3m awning. A roof basket on 2 roof racks and a cabin roof bar mounted solar panel that is also secured to the basket. All are interconnected via rubber mounts.

I've done the Kimberly, Arnhem land and a shitload of touring with considerable weight on the roof and some very rough roads.

No issues.The secret is using all parts, the cabin and the canopy to distribute the weight. But have all parts disconnected. Hence the rubber mounts.
kitemanwest aussie

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 26, 2015 7:35 pm

I have a 4.5m custom awning mounted on cab and canopy. I have a clearance slot cut in my rear bracket which allows the awning to move with the tray.
The awning is not mounted all the time though
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby suhua4 on Tue May 26, 2015 7:36 pm

I have 2.5m long 3m out cheapie from ebay. It is attached on the Rola roof rack. I use eyelet nut screw on T bolt so I can unscrew them without a spanner. I only put it on when going out then take it off when back home. The distance between the two racks is only about 800mm ish. I leave around 600-700 overhang to the front and leave a bit longer overhang to the back. I was thinking less overhang to the front will minimize vibration on high speed or offroad. the 1m ish rear overhang doesn't affect much when driving, only to make sure when you pull it out at really windy area the awning rack is strong enough to hold. So far on very soft sand some very shaky road this setup is holding perfectly.

You definitely want something as big as you can the sun and shade move very fast. If you get something small you may have to move your chair or mat every 30min to say under the shade.....
suhua4

Postby Bazzer87 on Tue May 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Mine is 2.5 x 3.0. I only have it mounted to the roof rack on the canopy only. They are super light so no issues with the other end just hanging over the front cabin without being attached.
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby Snooozy on Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 pm

I have an ARB 2.5 x 3.0 awning mounted to the rhino rack HD bars on the cab.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2jzzzz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:22 am

Hi, just wanted to bump this thread.

Looking to get an awning but unsure on the size I should get. I will only have Whispbar through roof racks on the cab.

Prefer 2.5 or 3m width, but looking like I'll have to go on the smaller end of the scale.
2jzzzz

Postby motoz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:19 am

2.5m wide extending 2.0m out works fine if mounting to the cab only.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2jzzzz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 am

Even with a canopy on the back? Not too much overhang not supported. We aren't doing crazy trails.
2jzzzz

Postby motoz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

2jzzzz wrote:Even with a canopy on the back? Not too much overhang not supported. We aren't doing crazy trails.

If mounted on the canopy mine ends flush with the tailgate and extends to the B pillar. Click to view larger picture
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby diver albie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:37 pm

I erred on the side of caution and got a 2 x 2, gee I regret it. No where enough shade, in fact we spent today devising way to make an add on to increase the size.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby Duck on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:20 pm

You can normally get sides & or front to make it bigger, I have the rhino which is 2.1x2.5, its just for the middle of he day & gives enough for some relief. Get one of thos giant gazeebos if you want tent like shade. Parking on the right angle when you can also helps with sun direction.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby 2jzzzz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Not going to put racks on the canopy, looks like 2.5 is the biggest. Might see if anyone will do a 2.5m wide and 3m long
2jzzzz

Postby Waza. on Sat May 28, 2016 6:00 pm

G Camp on eBay does a 2.5m x 3m awning, mine has been good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Waza.

Postby jkandjk on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Another bump on this thread. New to the forum after recently buying a 2012 GLXR auto with a few extras. Looking at installing a 2.5m long by 2.5m awning on two roof racks off cab. Concerned about the approximate overhang of 800mm at front and 900mm at rear of racks once fitted. Any suggestions or do i downize to 2m. and take the worry out of the overhang. People seem to the think the more area undercover the better, my thoughts are the same. Thanks for any info you can provide me.
jkandjk

Postby aybe on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm

It's been a while since I bought a 2.5 long ARB.Seem to remember 700mm max extending unsupported

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
aybe

Postby Jerry Hatrick on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I have a 2.5 x 3 Kings awning mounted on 3 brackets on rhino racks - cab only.
Put most of the over hang to the rear and just strap it to canopy bar ( not too tightly ) . No problems !
Not even sure I need to strap it but eh just thought it would stop a bit of wobble on rougher tracks.
Jerry Hatrick

Postby Geoff3DMN on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:09 pm

I have a rhino 2.1 x 2.5 most times there is only me and it's enough shade to sit under easily.

It would be ok for 2 chairs but no more.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Mounting XL 270 awning to canopy and cab?

Postby Stavros on Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:23 am

Hey guys I’m really wanting to put a 270 awning on the back of my MR.
I have two roof bars on the back and a platform on the cab and, I’m wondering if there is a way to have the awning mounted to the rails but also the platform without it being so rigid it would cause issues.

I’m interested to see what others have done if they have a 270 awning.
Cheers, stav.
Stavros

Next

Return to General Discussion