Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Threads merged - same subject.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby dsp26 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi team,

New here but have been a member of various FB Triton groups during my search.

So finally found the one, a 2009 MN Triton GLX-R with 244k on the clock, in mint condition and perfect service history. Have owned it for only two weeks and decided to take the family out camping over the weekend... 5hrs away from home and it overheated, boiling out the reservoir with the reservoir cap blown off and missing. Not towing a trailer, but a full-ish tub with camping stuff so less than 200kg load.

So I'm aware of the block problem thanks to good documentation from this thread and forum, but being the 3rd owner, was just wondering what legs do I have to stand on for this engine replacement given this is a manufacturing defect (According to Australian Consumer Law Section 54(2)c, that was never noticed and addressed by previous owners. The previous owners probably did, as they've had all the major service done, belts, water pump, radiator a month before my purchase etc
dsp26

Postby ag9111 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Got my 2013 triton back today after having a new long engine replaced under warranty, at $0 cost to me.
I purchased the vehicle with 9500km in 2014
Had the stress test recall done at 20,000km ish.
Always serviced, maybe over serviced, by my mechanic with everything done on time.
Vehicle had 156,000km on it when it "overheated" so was well out of warranty time and km wise

When it "overheated" I was 210km from home and towing a camper. It was not a catastrophic failure like some. I was able to limp it home and drive it to the dealer when they booked it in.
Received the news that the engine failed tests next day, and they where recommending a new engine to Mitsubishi.
A couple of business days later Mitsubishi approved new long engine.
Week delivery, covid sucks.
3days to schedule and install.

I spoke to the senior technician and he said that because I had all servicing and tests done there was no issue with a long engine replacement.
I got him to install new radiator hoses and fan, a/c belts, purchased at my expense. A new timing belt is included in a long engine.
They checked the inlet manifold for carbon, have had egr disabled since I got it , and flushed the intercooler at no cost.
Vehicles with longer km's, no stress test or dodgy service history will often get a rebuild done with only a new block, new head gasket, and other gaskets etc. They reuse your pistons, rings etc.
He also mentioned that in the last 6 months or so he has seen revised blocks and head gaskets arriving for fitment.
Block has a new finish on it and gasket has been redesigned. Take that as you will.

I made sure all conversations where by email, so in writing, not that I needed it.

Must admit it was a pretty painless procedure for me at least.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tofu on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:58 pm

removed
tofu

Postby browndog375 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 am

Hi all

Brand new to this forum... and it seems i too have sucumbed to the dreaded overheating mn.

Bought my triton 2014 mn 2nd hand from a dealership, only 82000kms on the clock.. had it for 4 weeks without any issues.. then on a 350km round trip from home, needle shot up, eng light on.. pulled over, coolant bottle full and had sprayed over the engine bay... bubbles flowing into overflow bottle...was only 60kms from home so managed to get it home, didnt go into limp mode.. rang my mechanic straight away to let him know what happened, and his response was, oh no you got one of those... informed me to check radiator level after cooled down, did so and was not full, it took 2.4ltrs of fluid to fill back up..
Told me to contact dealer as still under 2nd hand warranty, unfortunately they are 200kms from my home so requested that i take it to my local mitsi dealer on there behalf aa they didnt want me to risk driving it to them...
This all happened just before the chrissy new year period i was unable to get the car looked at for 3 weeks... it finally goes in tomorrow... i just hope that they diagnose it straight away and dont give me the run around.
Previously the car was a company car and has full log book servicing by another mitsy dealership, hope this works in my favour..
I have still managed to be able to do short trips in it without overheating, but it is still losing coolant from the radiator over time and still bubbles into the overflow bottle after each trip.
browndog375

Postby Bastian on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:35 pm

Add me to the list. I've had my 2014 MY15 GLX+ since new, 151k on the clock and first overheated with all the same symptoms a few weeks back halfway between Rockhampton and Mackay - thanks to RACQ Carmila for the tow!

Anyway just waiting for approval from MMAL for a new long engine. I'm going to get belts, idler pully etc replaced if that's not included with long engine as well as radiator hoses. Is a clutch included with a long engine? Mine has mostly been city/hwy driving and practically no towing, so how long should a clutch last? I was thinking now could be a good time for a new one while the engine is being swapped over.
Bastian

Postby Griggsy1969 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 am

I bought a 2014 MY15 Triton last year and have done a few long trips and plenty of medium diffculty off road in it with no overheating issues at all. My build date is Jun 2014 and apparently any built after Mar 2014 had the overheating problem fixed so hopefully smooth sailing.
Griggsy1969

Postby ag9111 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:21 am

Griggsy1969 wrote:I bought a 2014 MY15 Triton last year and have done a few long trips and plenty of medium diffculty off road in it with no overheating issues at all. My build date is Jun 2014 and apparently any built after Mar 2014 had the overheating problem fixed so hopefully smooth sailing.

There where no viable fixes of the "overheating issues" during the production run of the MN including the fixed 15 models.
Good luck with your ute
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Minza on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 pm

Boom boom boom another one bites the dust :lol: ,
2015 mn, 86000 k's, this happened at the end off January,
I had just got back into suburbia to drop my brother off after a camping trip and noticed a bit of coolant smell when parked at his house for 5 mins, temp on ultra gauge fine at this point, took off and started to drive home not far to my house and noticed the temp rising, i did see the temp reach 120 degrees on ultra gauge and needle just in the red, spat engine light on and logged a code, no limp mode, got home and coolant overflow full to the brim and had spewed a bit of the green stuff out, booked into the dealer 2 days later ( start of Feb) failed stress test and new engine required, dealer said 4--6 weeks on parts, 4 weeks went by and got my car back to the dealer ( start of March) they said need it for 2 weeks to pull head off and send photos to MMA to approve new motor, so first week of march and new motor approved but 4--6 weeks wait on parts, anyway time went by and got my car back last week with brand new long engine, got a new HD clutch installed as well while i had the chance, at no cost ( I supplied the clutch) new engine number czy refined motor, dealer did provide a 2020 pajero loan car for the last 4 weeks to get about but i was borrowing family members cars for 8 weeks before that, all in all I'm happy with the outcome, pretty easy to deal with the dealership except for the wait time, and thanks to Dibby for putting my mind at ease with a few questions i asked, time will tell if these motors are any good, with only a couple hundred k's now on the new motor it does feel like it has a bit more poke down low in fourth gear. Now to rack up some more k's before i can go bush. Sorry for the long story but at least it killed a few minutes reading. :D
Minza.
Minza

Postby Ferrets_M8_Woody on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 pm

hey all ,
i believe i may be "joining" the many MN owners that have unfortunately got the raw end of the stick by having the dreaded overheating issue . i have a 2012 MN with just shy of 250k on the clock , i have owned it since 2018 after purchasing from a local dealer (NOT A MITSUBISHI DEALER) and have had previous issues, apparently due to turbo solenoid .not 100% tbh that i was told the truth as ive had nothing but issues getting services and other issues sorted from this particular yard so have since taken it to my own mechanic with zero issues until a few days ago . i drove everywhere the previous day without issues however the following day i only managed to get 30kms from home before noticing the temp had rocketed up n the engine light came on , so i shut it down then could hear bubbling from under the bonnet. After some investigating , i discovered coolant had been pressurising from the radiator into the overflow yet the coolant was not boiling but was hot as it shouldve been .. after i allowed the ute to cool i restarted it , refilled the radiator then drove back home , again overheating along the way . after getting it back i had the obd2 scanner attached to find what code or codes it had as the check engine light did come on as i stated and the codes i had were the MAF sensor , the air intake sensor and the other was coolant over temperature . i had the MAF and air temp sensors sorted and codes reset then again refilled and purged the air after i initially removed the radiator and replaced the thermostat and checked all connections and hoses . i drove again n this time managed to get over 120kms without any overheating issues at all ... but.... on my way home again it overheated with exactly the same symptoms as i described earlier . so again i refilled the coolant , drained the excess from the overflow etc n again had the codes checked and again the only code i had was coolant over temp . so my question is , would this be a sign that my engine has finally given in as up till now ive really not had any real problems and as i now have stage 4 cancer and rely on it to get to n from my treatment and appointments i cant afford to be stuck on the side of the road and im wondering if its worth contacting mitzi regarding it or would i be wasting my time n what little energy i have trying to get the engine replaced ??
cheers all , any help is appreciated and will be taken on board ..
thanks again ..
P.S SORRY FOR THE LONG POST , BUT BEST TO GET THE FULL STORY ..
REPLACED BOTH BELTS AND THERMOSTAT AND AIR FILTER ALSO
ALL SERVICES HAVE BEEN KEPT UP ...
Ferrets_M8_Woody

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:44 am

If you read back through this thread, and others, you'll note that Mitsubishi have been exemplary in their handling of this issue.

Take the car to your nearest dealer and let them diagnose the problem.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby bollie7 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Gday.
I have a May 2014 build MN. 56000 klm rolled around tonight. No over heating problem yet. After reading about the issue others have been having I'm now a bit worried.
I have done a couple of minor services (oil and filters) myself. I'm not a mechanic. I'm a Fitter and Machinist by trade with over 40 years in the trade plus many years rebuilding and working on various cars. So not incompetent.
However I'm concerned that if I am unfortunate enough to have the dreaded over heating problem, that MM might use the fact that I have changed the oil myself as an excuse not to fix the engine in the event of it needing to be done.
Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks
Peter
bollie7

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:13 am

As long as a service has been carried out then there shouldnt be an issue. The only time i saw one rejected when services had been missed, and this was obvious due the the build up of sludge in the rocker cover.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:02 am

Doing your own servicing shouldn't have an impact if you have receipts and fluids all look ok. Opposed to dealers charging for work and filters that never happened.

It's a known factory defect, so you should be right.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bollie7 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks. I keep records I what I've done.
When I bought this ute it had 6 months of warranty left. Coincidentally a couple of weeks before it ran out it was due for a service so I took it to the local Mitsubishi dealer to have the service done and also for a couple of warranty issues. (seat belt mount wave washer had broken and one of the rear shocks was leaking)
Anyway part of the service was to change the brake fluid. When I got home I just happened to look underneath at the back of one of the rear drums and noticed the bleed nipple was still covered in road grime. So then I looked at them all and they were all the same. They had charged me for the fluid and time but never done it. So when I returned the next week to have the seat belt and shock fixed I ask them how they can bleed the brakes without opening the bleed nipples. Got the answer I was expecting that "they couldn't understand why it hadn't been done, very sorry etc etc" So they replaced the seat belt buckle end and changed the shock. In the process they put the new shock on the side that was not leaking and left the leaking one (which was dripping oil by this stage). They obviously cracked the bleed nipples but whether they actually flushed the fluid out is another question.
After that I just bought a decent pair of shocks and fitted them myself.
bollie7

Postby newmy89 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:11 am

Hey all,

Been having overheating issues for a while. Have an MN built in 2015, taken for 4 mechanics and none can figure out the issue. I rang up and spoke to MMA but they said as it was built after March 2014 it wasn't covered under warranty and won't have that engine block issue.

But reading here it seems some people are not only having that issue with '15 MNs but also getting engines replaced as they failed the stress test.

Thinking it's time to take mine into the mitsi dealer. But those who have gotten their 2015 MN engines replaced, was that under that warranty? Or did you have to pay for that? If so, how much did it set you back?
newmy89

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:04 pm

newmy89 wrote:spoke to MMA but they said as it was built after March 2014 it wasn't covered under warranty and won't have that engine block issue.

Rubbish.

Take it to your dealer and get them to run the test.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:24 am

Don't forget that some vehicles on a dealer lot could have been built a year before.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:45 pm

@Sssboi, your last two posts in this thread have been removed. Please DO NOT cross post. Continue discussion in the other thread where you're already getting answers to your questions.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby thebaton on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:21 pm

Is there anything official on a Mitsubishi website about a revised 4d56 engine?
thebaton

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:13 pm

No there is not. the only changes have been on internal memorandums to dealers.

EDIT

And that didnt detail any changes, just that the part number had changed. But since then there have been no repeat failures that i know of.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby thebaton on Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:17 am

Thanks for the info, I have a seized engine from just high mileage hastened from an oil leak which emptied the engine of oil when a oil cooler hose popped off. I had a cooler fitted to keep it from overheating which worked for 2 years anyway. Plus a bigger radiator and trans cooler. It had been overheating prior to this....

A rebuild or second hand engine with fitting is a risk with the block. A Mitsubishi new from the factory engine with 12 month 20,000kms warranty is 11.5k not including fitting.

I'm trying to weigh up the overheating risk with this info about the internal memo! Or if it is time to say goodbye to it and all the gear I installed and all the blood and sweat put into it.
thebaton

Postby newmy89 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:38 am

newmy89 wrote:Hey all,

Been having overheating issues for a while. Have an MN built in 2015, taken for 4 mechanics and none can figure out the issue. I rang up and spoke to MMA but they said as it was built after March 2014 it wasn't covered under warranty and won't have that engine block issue.

But reading here it seems some people are not only having that issue with '15 MNs but also getting engines replaced as they failed the stress test.

Thinking it's time to take mine into the mitsi dealer. But those who have gotten their 2015 MN engines replaced, was that under that warranty? Or did you have to pay for that? If so, how much did it set you back?

I have an update and hooo boy, what a ride! I booked it in to my local Mitsubishi service, due to COVID the first booking was 1st March.

After getting stuffed around for about 4 months, them taking weeks to perform simple tests, being told that compression tests were passing and then failing. They eventually listened to me when a formal letter was written demanding a list of the tests that were done, and why the requested stress test hasn't been completed, I got a reply saying the stress test passed, it was a blown gasket and here's a quote for $7k to fix it...luckily I was able to get the car back with them agreeing to wave any fees because it took them so long.

Upon a recommendation from a mate, I took it to a Mitsi service centre about 30 minutes away from me (McGrath at Liverpool) who were awesome! There was some delay with them getting started as there were a few cars in front of me, but once they started work, the tests were done in a timely manner and communication was good. Best of all the results were the complete opposite of the previous service centre, the stress test failed and the mechanics pulled the engine down and identified pitting on cylinders 3 and 4.

A good will claim was submitted and approved by Mitsubishi Australia. Got a brand spanking new engine and no issues so far. I'm getting a bit of smoke at start up, but maybe that's normal for a little bit while the engine wears in?
newmy89

Previous

Return to General Discussion