Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby als1200 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Keen to here how you get on.
mines a 2013 with 36k
als1200

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:10 pm

If the 2.5 blew up, I'd start looking at sticking the 2.8 Cummins in as a replacement. Looks a nice little plant.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danos on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:26 am

From what I read, if you are servicing your own car outside of the 5 year warranty and the engine goes it may be difficult to prove appropriate service history to make a claim?
Danos

Postby srb on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm

You do not need a service history to claim a warranty for something that is a manufacturing fault.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Of course you do.

I had to prove that the servicing had been done and coolant changed when I claimed warranty on paint defects on the Triton. Seriously! They wanted copies of invoices to verify it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bodia on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 pm

not sure how legally correct it is but believe this is the argument you may get. When you buy a car you are signing a contract which includes a requirement for you to service and maintain the vehicle as per the service manual and for the supplier to provide warranty. By not servicing the vehicle correctly you void the contract which includes voiding the warranty.
bodia

Postby srb on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah I'm sure it will definitely help making a warranty claim go much easier but if it's a known manufacturing defect then service history really means nothing. Aus consumer law is supposed to protect us in those cases.. but I yeah it's probably flawed somehow.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:48 am

srb wrote:Yeah I'm sure it will definitely help making a warranty claim go much easier but if it's a known manufacturing defect then service history really means nothing. Aus consumer law is supposed to protect us in those cases.. but I yeah it's probably flawed somehow.

And i bet they would throw a lot more money at it to fight it than most of us could afford
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 pm

It would become a war of attrition most likely.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Warrigal150 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Joel wrote:
srb wrote:Yeah I'm sure it will definitely help making a warranty claim go much easier but if it's a known manufacturing defect then service history really means nothing. Aus consumer law is supposed to protect us in those cases.. but I yeah it's probably flawed somehow.

And i bet they would throw a lot more money at it to fight it than most of us could afford

We're about to find out.
Warrigal150

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Good luck with it mate.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Peem on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm

My 2.5 L diesel 4WD MN Triton had travelled roughly 150,000 km without any real problems since I bought it in November 2011. But recently, when towing our caravan, it overheated a number of times. The symptoms seemed similar to those discussed here so I booked the car into my local Mitsi dealer, Blue Ribbon Motors, and provided a written summary of the problems I had experienced. A few days later they advised that Mitsubishi would be supplying a new motor. It was installed last week and is running well. Afterwards there wasn’t much information forthcoming about any changes to the programming or changes with the new motor [eg manifold carbonising problems] but the new motor certainly does not have the kick in the back at 2000 rpm that the old one had and I have not done any towing with it yet. Nothing was recorded in my service log and I had to ask for the new engine number. It still has the 127KPA radiator cap.

I feel all involved should be congratulated on the lack of fuss with the whole process.
Peem

Postby srb on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:42 pm

That's a good result, Peem. And it's exactly how MMAL should be dealing with the issue.

With regards to the lack power, when compared to your original engine, there has been a few people on this forum report the exact same thing. Rumour has it, that the latest software has slightly detuned the engine to help mask the problem with the faulty block.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kaboom on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:07 am

Looks like I might possibly heading down the same path.

2014 Triton
MY15
Service history up to date.
Currently in Limbo

Went on holidays and drove 350km arriving in 35deg heat. 5 occupants, aircon on, towing single axle trailer with camping gear. 20min toilet stop half way. As we were getting close I heard the fan ramp up a number of times. Temp gauge seemed ok moving slightly on uphills. Coming into town, slowed down, the temp gauge started to rise. Lost 1.2L of coolant but no warning light. As we were at our destination I let it cool, topped up with coolant and hooked up the OBDII bluetooth scan tool (torque). I let it run idle for an hour with no problems.

With the car unloaded the car did many smaller trips with up to 5 passengers and the temp sat comfortably around 90 degrees most of the time.

The drive home in 30deg with another 20min toilet break. Hit traffic and watched the temp slowly creep up while crawling at 10km/h for 20mins (90 - 110deg). Temp made 110 - 125 jump quickly when travelling at 60km and the engine light came on. Pulled over and had a family member come and get us. Emptied the car, swapped the trailer and went home leaving the Triton parked. Back 4-5 hours later once the car had cooled, topped up the coolant and drove it to my Mitsubishi service centre 25 minutes away. Again sat steady on 90deg.

Thankfully the dealership squeezed us in but a day and a half later and they have been unable to find or replicate a fault. Understandably at this time of year they're busy and they aren't willing to send a tech out towing to put the car under load. They said they'll replace the thermostat but will have to see how things go. I asked if I replicate the fault will they cover the towing costs from 300km away to which they replied no.

I've asked about the tooling issue and they said they ran the test from Mitsubishi and it passed. I've made my position clear that there is obviously a fault and that they need to replicate the conditions as I'm unwilling to accept no solution when there is clear evidence and history of this problem.

We're now in contact with MMAL who are investigating further as the dealer has said their hands are tied.

I head back to work Monday (sub contractor chippy). No car = No money so it's looking like I'll have to source a car that will carry my tools and potentially allow me to tow.

Just a side note, I appreciate everyone's posts around this and similar issues as I've done a lot of reading on this forum over the past couple of days.
kaboom

Postby SLIMaxPower on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Sorry not a replacement but concerned over rising temps.
My mn purchased in nov 2014. Has had the campaign done. Currently done 55k and due for service.

chip, dawes valve, hi spec limiter, , egr mod, hd clutch etc etc

For the past 3 or 4 months I have noticed the temps starting to get a little higher. Ultra guage showing temps up to 100C on occasions. Usual is anywhere from 90-96C

Towing 2.5T daily for work, never used 5th while towing.

Engine has stalled twice in the last month sitting on 120 and tried to accelerate harder. No codes.

Doesn't see to have any overflow issues.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kaboom on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Just an update on my post. MMAL gave the ok to pull the engine apart to check for pitting. The fault's been confirmed and a new engine has been ordered. I've been told it should be around 2 weeks till I see my car again.

Estimated Date Replaced: 08/02/2018
Build Date: MY15
KM: 97,000

Spewing the issue wasn't found earlier as the timing belt was done on the 90k service. Would have saved me a few bucks.
kaboom

Postby Joel on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:43 am

Not a bad result kaboom. Did you ask for a loan car till you get yours back?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby bodia on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 am

Hey kaboom is your vehicle VIN within the date range that has the issue or outside the range?
bodia

Postby kaboom on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I didn't ask for a loan vehicle as I need a lot of tools for work and they need to be locked up. I'm borrowing a mates ute that suits my needs.

My engine is newer than the 4D56UCFA9504 said to be when the updates / modifications were made. :(
kaboom

Postby Danos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:52 am

I spoke with the warranty guy at my new service center and he didnt think there would be an issue claiming warranty if servicing done at home, unless there was something obvious eg low quality oil filter that caused the failure. Ryco/penrite was acceptable to him.

If there was some uncertainty, gearbox and engine oils can be tested to see if they were the cause/contributor.

Taking this into account, since the probability of major failure is low and the reward pretty high (cost saving) it makes sense to service at home (providing done to service manual requirements).
Danos

Postby Terror on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 am

Just before Christmas my 2015 MN started dripping a bit of coolant from the overflow bottle and fan was running even while I was on the highway, which I thought was weird but it was a very hot day, temp guage looked normal.

Over Christmas I drove it from Sydney to Coffs Harbour and back with no problems, then just some light running around before I loaded it up to drive from Sydney to Perth as I moved there for work. I didn't make it far out of Sydney before the engine light came on, went into limp mode and when I got out to check the engine bay there was coolant sprayed all over the side of the car from the overflow bottle. I managed to limp it into a mitsubishi dealership who were really helpful and had a look at it as soon as they could. Mechanic came out after a few hours and told me it needed a new motor!

The dealership has been good but this happened on the 4th of January and its now the 3rd of Feburaru and there has been no updates on the car from the dealer at all. I've called a few times and they say its still with Mitsubishi. No idea whats taking so long. Car has been serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer a few times as well as a local mechanic (logbook service) and I actually get it serviced more often than the logbook requires so hopefully they aren't trying to find a way to get out of honoring the warranty.

To be honest I've been pretty disappointed with my Triton and don't think I'd buy another Mitsubishi again. Although my girlfriend is considering buying an ASX, pending what happens with my ute.

While in Perth I needed a car so I bought a rough as guts 2012 Hilux with 220,000 k's on it and surprisingly it is a much nicer car to drive than my Triton even with only 56,000k's on the clock.

I'll post an update when I get one, gonna call again on monday!
Terror

Postby moshoo on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:30 am

Latest victim checking in!

MY15 Mn triton
Replacement short engine
Dealer has been pretty good about it.... Just slow...
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
moshoo

Postby srb on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:29 am

https://youtu.be/sXRsjTuBxMM

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grox on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 pm

That made me laugh pretty dam hard. Wounder if it's a good option to humm the opening bars as you walk in to dealer to deliver the news of another POS 2.5 failing.
grox

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm not exactly sure if I fit into this category, but my 2011 MN with 190k has had overheating issues since the overheat recall "fix". Especially when towing camper trailer, which I towed for a year without worry prior to the recall.
Had the work done under the MMAL recall last year I think but since then the engine has boiled once and overheated regularly when towing, but the camper is less than a tonne in weight. BUT, no coolant loss into the overflow, which is probably because of the extra tight cap on the radiator. I had the radiator replaced in December last year when it showed a bit of coolant leakage at the top of the radiator core,after the Mitsi recall fix. Since then it has got so hot when towing uphill that the gauge was in the "red" zone. Still no overflow but it was bubbling inside [with standard cap pressure, not the new high pressure one]. So, I'm not sure what is going on. Not enough cooling? Yet without camper it is fine for everyday driving, 88-91 degrees celsius, but up hill without camper it got to 102 degrees, whereas in the previous two years it never got so hot, before or after the cylinder head campaign.
So confused and worried about the engine now, whether or not Mitsi will just fob it off as a "thermostat issue" or some such rubbish. Since I bought it I have done my own services too, so without "factory" service I am even more worried that they won't help if it is a cylinder head problem.
Another interesting issue is the thermo fan keeps kicking in and out when the ambient temp is around 27 degrees plus, when in city driving. It not only drains the power from the engine, but makes it so slow taking off, keeping in mind how slow the auto trans is without these issues. The inlet manifold is somewhat clogged due to the EGR valve, so I am considering spending $1000 to get it cleaned, but if the head is going to be an issue, what is the point?
Next Monday it is going in to get checked out for the overheat problem. Fingers crossed it turns out to be nothing, or something simple. Though what that might be is unknown.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion