Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby Nswgelly on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 am

I was a bit amazed, he's getting a ranger
Nswgelly

Postby Jemantar on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Hey guys,
New here so be gentle.... what’s the highest Km that you have seen engine being replaced??
My 2010 challenger with 4D56 engine has 230,000 on the clock. Went into limp mode on me and when mechanic took it apart was found to have warped head etc. it had run a bit hit at times and I had noticed excess coolant i. The overflow bottle but never had to stop for overheating
My mechanic said it is eactly the same as every other 4D56 engine that had the cooling system problem that he has seen or that he ha seen pictures/reports on from the mechanic forums. Sent to Mitsubishi dealer for diagnostic assessment so could approach MMA. The dealer ended up talking to MMA in my behalf, and cam back with rejected due to “too many kms and no Hx of overheating.
So my question is what’s the highest Kms you guys have seen replaced?
I’m going to approach them in person as I would really like to know what arbitrary mileage they feel they can relinquish responsibility for a improperly manufactured engine, and to let them know it did run hot just not overheated.
Any other hints and contacts of similar people would be great.
Jemantar

Postby srb on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm fairly sure there's been a few on here replaced with similar km's to that.

If it's found to have a defective block then the amount of km's has nothing to do with it. If the block surface looks okay then unfortunately it's on you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Kms and years will probably be against you as manufacturers probably consider 5 to 7yrs as average prime life of a vehicle, say 30k per yr over 5yrs = 150k. If you've cracked 200k, then you've had a good run.

On the other hand, owners of diesels expect 300 to 500k, as the engines are supposed to have run cooler, done less revolutions of the crank and been less stressed generally than a petrol equivalent would have done in the same period.

Alloy heads can just about always be expected to have some warpage when removed from the block and should be planed before reinstallation.

I would expect a reconditioned engine, done properly, should last as long, if not longer than when its first stripped down around 200k as any stresses in the block and head castings should have dissipated.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 am

Jemantar wrote:Hey guys,
New here so be gentle.... what’s the highest Km that you have seen engine being replaced??
My 2010 challenger with 4D56 engine has 230,000 on the clock. Went into limp mode on me and when mechanic took it apart was found to have warped head etc. it had run a bit hit at times and I had noticed excess coolant i. The overflow bottle but never had to stop for overheating
My mechanic said it is eactly the same as every other 4D56 engine that had the cooling system problem that he has seen or that he ha seen pictures/reports on from the mechanic forums. Sent to Mitsubishi dealer for diagnostic assessment so could approach MMA. The dealer ended up talking to MMA in my behalf, and cam back with rejected due to “too many kms and no Hx of overheating.
So my question is what’s the highest Kms you guys have seen replaced?
I’m going to approach them in person as I would really like to know what arbitrary mileage they feel they can relinquish responsibility for a improperly manufactured engine, and to let them know it did run hot just not overheated.
Any other hints and contacts of similar people would be great.

193000km and 7 years old mine was done. I think Mitsubishi are starting to hurt in their wallet now.....
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Jemantar on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 am

Thanks. That’s really helpful.
I’ll let you guys know how it goes
Jemantar

Postby stefanos on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:30 am

Throw away the oem cylinder head if it failed!!!
stefanos

Postby madcat on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Well i'm joining this conversation because I've joined the club

I purchased my 2014 Mitsubishi my15 Triton 13 months with 92000 kms and unknowingly it had a replacement long motor at 67000 km in 2017(i thought it went well).
So 11000 kms later its just started overheating and spilling coolant out of the overflow as per the description in the receipt for the last motor, my worst nightmare.

I rang the dealership up and will be having Mitsubishi check it out in the next week but the response i got from them was its over 12 months so it's out of warranty, but after reading this forum i feel i will be ok and they will cover it.

any thoughts on how to diplomatically push it through if they play hardball.
madcat

Postby greybeard on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:24 pm

If they don't play nice, write a concise letter describing exactly what has happened, who said what, when and stand outside the dealer handing copies to anyone entering. ;)
Just make sure it's factual and that you don't omit anything. Just the facts.
greybeard

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:01 am

My input just vanished. Take two....

In a nutshell ' Goods sold in Australia must be fit and proper for purpose'.

The previous owner has obviously opted to ditch the vehicle after their experience.
The Dealer has likewise offloaded the unit, taking a significant profit on the way,

The dealership should be aware that in accepting money for the goods, it accepts responsibility for the goods meeting consumer requirements.

The process is, you 'sue' the dealer and they in turn 'sue' MM (after your interaction with the dealer, what happens beyond is really not your problem).

If you don't get satisfaction, there are the usual consumer services or alternatively give John Cadogan a buzz. (Check him out on YouTube).

Good luck.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:28 am

John Cadogan? "Hit me up for that"

Madcat, go and talk to your local Consumer Affairs / Fair Trading office and get their advice. Consumer law is very broad and includes phrases like 'reasonable expectations' which most people would agree would cover an engine rebuild/replacement lasting only 30K, but the dealers and manufacturers have access to legal funding that you could only dream of, so your case needs to be watertight.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby madcat on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 am

thanks heaps have started writing things down in preparation for a fight.
I dropped it of yesterday so now its a waiting game.
madcat

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am

Ultimately the dealer has to evaluate whether he wants a positive or negative advert leaving the site.

When I sell a product, it is something I would want and is well supported by its maker.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby msrlo on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 am

Can't believe some of the issues you guys are having, Mrs brother inlaw has been a truck mechanic for yrs. Started his own business in his back yard and he had a triton in his shed with a cooling issue. Told him about the problem with some tritons, he went to the local dealer and they told him to bring receipts for his work done. The owner had a new engine and had his ute back in a week.
msrlo

Postby madcat on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:47 pm

it's taken a little while but i will be getting a new engine, mornington Mitsubishi have come through with the goods.
the guys down there have been really good.
they just had to confirm the issue by taking the head off and sending photos to head office and i got the ok today and will have my car early next week.
i will find out what sort of warranty i get with it and i guess that will be my decision an whether to keep the car or not, being new engine number 3 for this car.
i will update some more soon.
madcat

Postby madcat on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:10 am

picked up the car early and it goes well as expected, it only has a one year warranty.
in the service report is the thing that worry's me, it says

Checked and tested for concern, found concern evident. found exhaust gases in cooling system, suspect internal failure, removed cylinder head and found pitting on engine block, found excessive warpage on the cylinder head.

this to me is either a design issue or poor materials used in manufacturing.
either way its pot luck if i got a good engine.
time to upgrade to the newer model while its worth something.
madcat

Postby splitthis on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:43 am

Well we can add my Triton to the new engine list. MY2012 MN with 89000km on the clock. Started overheating on a recent 1400km road trip (that was fun with a 1 and 3 year old on board). Initially it was every 250-300km at 100-110km/h but by the end of the trip it was whenever I put a my foot down it would get hot quick. I had an OBD reader so it only got engine light hot once but got up to 105ish 10 or so times, each time I’d pull over and there would be coolant spewing out of the overflow bottle.

First trip to the dealer was fruitless, they put 18km on it around town without issue and it passed all the tests. I told them I wanted it driven on the freeway at speed and for a considerable distance. They took it back two weeks later and after 2 days called to say they had submitted a request to Mitsi after it failed all the tests.

2 days later and I found out I was getting a new engine. Very happy, with both the dealership and Mitsi, all sorted pretty quick and nearly 2 years out ow warranty too.
splitthis

Postby Desert Brewer on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:33 am

Here we go again.......

Got picked up by the wife for lunch Thursday day in the 2011 MN, upon entering the vehicle happen to notice the temp gauge looked a little high. We are planning out annual xmas run down the Stuart Highway.. drove the car home after lunch - temp seemed fine - but i knew what i saw - booked car in at the local dealer Friday ( whom i haven't visited since the warranty expired in 2017), to have the thermostat replaced. Get a call from the dealer - they replaced thermostat...test drove - at about the 6 km mark temp gauge is red lining !

Spoke to the service manager yesterday - he is suggesting that it looks like the head gasket, but we will find out tomorrow with the stress test result.

This is my replacement long motor which was installed about 60,000 km ago... cars done about 117,000 km.. all the talk of dud motors being installed under warranty doesn't give me confidence ...we will wait and see what the dealer says tomorrow.. but at this point he is saying all the right stuff including the "W" word..
Desert Brewer

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:48 am

I wonder how often these failures are due to hot-spotting due to improper air bleeding from the coolant when coolant changes or thermostat replacements take place?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:39 am

Longranger1 wrote:I wonder how often these failures are due to hot-spotting due to improper air bleeding from the coolant when coolant changes or thermostat replacements take place?

None. The Leaking combustion comes from pitting on the block surface causing gases to leak into the cooling system past the head gasket.

The question is what is causing the pitting? Poor manufacturing process? Parasitic voltage in the cooling system?

Until MMC engineers find the cause it seems very likely that any overheating MN will get repaired under warranty without question
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Desert Brewer on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:44 am

Not sure Longranger, but my radiator cap hasn't been opened for sometime.

Mine failed the "stress test" over the weekend. Block and head get separated today, im hoping to have a look at it. Despite not having the required technical report prepared for MMMA by the dealer.. with the festive season upon us and the anticipated staff holidays at MMMA, i made a preemptive phone call to MMMA customer care, who, i have to say were very helpful, much mores so than the first time round i did this. They are phoning the dealer and "escalating" the process - given i was due to be driving out of here on Saturday...anyway we will see how we go..

Not the first time this overheating issue has made me reshuffle my holiday plans - at least the problem was realised in town rather than 350 km South of here....
Desert Brewer

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:23 am

Sounds like a good result given the time of year.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tropicom on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:15 pm

any ideas on where to purchase a 127kpa radiator cap that will fit a Triton MN
Tropicom

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:41 am

They don't seem to be a 'free range' item.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Motorhead on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 am

Mine has never overheated but it does lose coolant so I have to top it up fairly regularly. Any idea how much coolant loss Mitsubishi would count as "normal"?
Motorhead

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion