Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby srb on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:57 am

You're certainly a more tolerant person than me, Grubbs... If that was my MN I'd have burned it long ago.
I feel extremely lucky with my current MN, It's been trouble free and a fantastic ute for the 9years and 200k kms I've owned it, and apart from the current stress cracks in the body, failed rear difflock actuator and the oil leaking turbo, it's still running sweet. It's still a reliable work ute and owes me nothing, I'll run it until it falls apart around me... Would I ever move on and buy a new MR.. hmm probably, but only as a basic 2wd work ute in petrol, never a 4x4 dual cab for family touring purpose, I'm done with all 4x4 utes and small capacity diesels.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gubbs on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi srb,
This is my last shot with the MN, If this engine does the same I'm off to another manufacturer.
gubbs

Postby gubbs on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi all,

I pick my car up on Friday, It will have a revised long motor fitted, this I am told is a revised block surface and a revised head gasket setup. The engine has a new part number, the old engine has now been superseeded as from September 2019.
This is hopefully my last engine replacement. Anyone with an MN that requires an engine replacement from now on will receive the revised motor, this is what i was told by my local dealer. Its looks promising and hopefully this is the end of the saga concerning all MN owners.

Stay safe,

Gubbs.
gubbs

Postby Poor Yorick on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 am

Thx Grubbs....

let us know how you are get on.....and engine details and other things to look out for.

I am still waiting for my engine to arrive!!...car now 6-7 weeks at dealer....hopefully I get the "fix" you mention.

Cheers Poor Yorrick
Poor Yorick

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 am

It's a pity the MN copped those dud motors as it is a pretty good package.

Driving my son's MN felt a little more " lively" than my ML, but his new MR is another step up.

My ML is tops though, owes me nothing and will just need a new clutch and rear brakes soon. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Poor Yorick on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Hola all,

New engine in....8 weeks from drop off at dealer to pick up (no courtesy car).

I know we have consumer law protections here in Oz, but thx again to Mitsubishi for doing the right thing and giving a long engine replacement to an out of warranty 2012 challenger with 65k on clock..... I'm pretty sure I would have won a claim - but I appreciate not being dragged through the process.

Here's hoping for a good run with the new donk!!...

Cheers,
Poor Yorick
Poor Yorick

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Congratulations fella :)
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby gubbs on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:34 am

That's great news Poor Yorick.
So far so good with my new motor, long may it last.
gubbs

Postby Mozzie20 on Mon May 04, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi everyone
Thought I would tell my overheating story which was an absolute surprise to me but was relatively painless in the end and all I have got is support from the dealer I use.
Bought car end of 2018 with 90 000km on clock logbook complete and near 18 months of warranty left, so seemed a bargain. Noticed 90 000 service had not been completed by the selling car yard in Brisbane so negotiated a deal to offset the $1500 service fee.
Took it to a Mitsubishi dealer and asked them to do service and check car over as it had been serviced by a private mechanic in central QLD. Even phoned the mechanic who said is was a good vehicle with no problems. Dealer replaced battery and a few belts while service was being done. Apparently, car is in good nick and has been looked after.
First big trip away (between xmas and new year) with wife and son, kayaks on roof rack tray fully loaded and off we go. Pretty windy day, extremely hot day and getting city cycle fuel consumption (95km/h) on the highway due to drag of the kayaks and weight. Next thing 40 minutes into trip engine light comes on and temp gauge starts going straight up. Pulled into service station that was about 100m up the road and there was coolant sprayed up on the drivers side, opening the bonnet it had covered the entire engine bay.
Had car towed to dealer I used and straight away they said “another overheater” before even looking at the car. Apparently, they do one a week and this is a dealer in a regional town. Engine was replaced with a short motor and I have done 15 000 km so far. Dealer has told me they have not had to replace a replaced engine so far and if they do, they will replace with a long motor.
Dealer has also replaced a motor out of the 5 year warranty period, so maybe Mitsubishi are learning!!!

2014 MY2014 GLX/R Manual replaced at 91 000 KM still in warranty period.
Triton 2014 MY15 GLX-R
Mozzie20

Postby matt07ml on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi All, has anyone who had an engine replaced experienced issues with the cabin heater? I bought my 2014 Triton in June 2018 and have been putting up with no heat from heater and overheating since. Been to the dealer and been screwed around like everyone else basically. Going back next week to “diagnose” the problem for the 3rd time so will have to see what happens.
matt07ml

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:15 am

You either have air in the heater, or the heater radiator is blocked with sediment.

When was your engine replaced? Its not uncommon for air in the heater to circulate around and cause overheating. Should be done ASAP.

Ask the dealer if they use the vacuum refiller to fill with coolant. This is a fool proof method of doing it. It is available as a mitsi tool, or other brands are available. If you just pour the coolant in , especially if you use a funnel, you will get an airlock.

The coolant needs to go in slowly, when car is either level or slightly nose high.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby matt07ml on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s air in the system to be honest. A couple of times I have heard what sounded like a gurgling noise from the heater and it seemed to run a bit warmer for a couple of minutes. I have also had the check engine light come on a few times and the code thrown is coolant loss despite there being plenty of coolant. The engine was replaced before I bought it so I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealer workshop just slapped the new engine in and didn’t worry about the cooling system properly.
matt07ml

Postby bigcol on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 pm

Get my MN back on Monday after getting a new long engine fitted.
Originally passed the first stress test at around 100 thousand Km but failed the second after a few issues.
Mitsubishi supplied the long motor but i have had new injectors fitted, the injector pump rebuilt, new turbo, new clutch. The radiator and hoses were new at Christmas and it had a new starter motor last October. Best thing about the new long engines is they come with all the timing belts and water pump fitted.
Everything under the hood that matters is either new or reconditioned. It has only ever been serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer.
Didn't need a loan car. Have been doing some kms in my MQ which will have about 19000km on it by the time i start using the MN as the work car again.
People slag off at Mitsubishi. Tell me another manufacturer that would replace an engine in a 7 year old car with 250 thousand Kms on the clock

My experience in owning Mitsubishi's has been a joy. If you said to me 7 years ago i'd have 3 Mitsubishi's on my driveway i would have laughed at you.
I've had Toyotas, Fords, Mazdas and Nissans. You can stick the lot of those puss buckets where the sun doesn't shine
bigcol

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:53 am

The Toyota illuminati at work just stare blankly when you state the facts. I have owned both Hilux and Triton utes and for an honest performer I'd take a Triton any day.

I loved the resale value argument that one of my work colleagues came with, "My Hilux will get $5K higher resale value than your Triton".

My reply was that you paid $11K more so there is a straight up $6K loss! :lol:

It was good Mitsubishi covered engine failures as good as they did. Toyota would never have done that.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Griggsy1969 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 pm

No, my Mn is June 2014 build so has all the factory improvements to eliminate the problem....time will tell of course.
Griggsy1969

Postby Desert Brewer on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 pm

I picked up my MN early in the new year after having the second replacement motor fitted due to out of spec tolerances on the head & block causing over heating. Despite the inconvenience of having to rearrange xmas holidays, MMA footed for 3 x return airfares, 3 x 1 nights accom upon arrival and put us in a near new eclipse cross for 3 weeks or until MN was ready. Pretty happy with MMA warranty response this time round, first time round was a different story.

This is the second replacement, coupled with the new diff i needed at 15,000 km, all the other recalls - i defiantly think lemon laws are required, because at this rate my motors are averaging 60K, which is not good enough.

I am currently looking to trade and what i have, apart from frustration , is a vehicle worth very little, despite low km's, being well maintained, full service history and a nice list of bolt on modifications. That is what angers me the most and i believe MMA should assist those who have had multiple serious warranty issues.

I am not suggesting a new vehicle, although that would be nice, but assistance in the form of credit or reduced vehicle purchase price which reflects a fair and reasonable trade in price on the MN's tainted by warranty motor issues. Even if only offered across the MMA range, it would appease my frustration and feeling of being ripped off on a new vehicle purchase.

Anyways..., its school holidays in the NT and i am driving next week, and as per any trip to a remote area with the MN i have a bit of reliability anxiety, so its fingers crossed.

Cheers,

DB
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Desert Brewer

Postby Nswgelly on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Nswgelly wrote:Nah bit the bullet, got a 2011 76 series Landcruiser pre dpf. So all good. Selling the triton once Mitsubishi fix it.

Well as way of update, I ended up keeping the triton, now the wife's car. My mechanic convinced me ha ha. What was curious though, I had big chat with Mitsubishi dealer and my mechanic. They were all genuinely confused with most recent motor. All engine part numbers are different to previous two. The Mitsubishi mechanics double checked prior to install, Mitsubishi confirmed correct motor, but would not elaborate on different part numbers. So my thoughts are, Mitsubishi have finally built an all new motor to fix the problem. My mechanic put it on the dyno out of curiosity, and it's pumping out 460nm out of the box wtf? They never produced that new!? , so more powerful motor, running beautifully, so yeah, still ours, go figure. 20000km on it no problems. So discuss and debate that one, there might be some liability issues in admitting they've been giving us lemons, hence very quietly putting an all new reengineered motor in? Either way, goes like a cut cat, no mods!
Nswgelly

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 am

Nswgelly, thanks for the update. Yes, confirms what was posted below.

This is great news for all who may experience the problem.

gubbs wrote:Hi all,

I pick my car up on Friday, It will have a revised long motor fitted, this I am told is a revised block surface and a revised head gasket setup. The engine has a new part number, the old engine has now been superseeded as from September 2019.
This is hopefully my last engine replacement. Anyone with an MN that requires an engine replacement from now on will receive the revised motor, this is what i was told by my local dealer. Its looks promising and hopefully this is the end of the saga concerning all MN owners.

Stay safe,

Gubbs.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Nswgelly on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Nswgelly, thanks for the update. Yes, confirms what was posted below.

This is great news for all who may experience the problem.

gubbs wrote:Hi all,

Stay safe,

Gubbs.

Well that explains alot, quite the saga for many of us, took them long enough to fix, but happy it's over!
Nswgelly

2013 MN Triton needs a new engine

Postby blamesociety on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:28 pm

My 2013 MN Triton (bought new) has 140K on the clock. Yesterday I was driving it and the check engine light came on. Today I dropped it into the Mitsubishi dealer (where I bought it and have had it serviced since new) and they just rang to tell me it has "failed the stress test" and I need a new engine. I have no idea what the actual issue is. They are contacting Mitsubishi Australia in the morning to get more information and will then contact me. Whilst the car is 7.5 years old, I would still expect a diesel to last way more than 140K... has anyone had any luck arguing for a free / reduced price replacement engine at this age/km? If I have to wear the cost, what sort of price might I be looking at?
blamesociety

Re: 2013 MN Triton needs a new engine

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:19 pm

Look through the forum. There are many threads about this issue here. The fact that you are original owner, and have full history means they are getting authorisation from MMAL to repolace the engine under warranty.

The problem is likely to be severe pitting on the Cylinder block, causing combustion gases to enter the cooling system. Its a very coomon issue, that has upset a lot of owners, and some having repeat failures due to faulty engines being supplied by MMAL.

This, so far, has now stopped. The last few replacements I have been involved with seem to be ok, so fingers crossed.

Cost for retail? Dont worry. Its a lot.

The only thing they may charge you for is a new thermostat, and checking the radiator flow.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby blamesociety on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks. Yep I've spent the last 2 hours stressing out but reading this forum and others - lots of people getting successful replacements. My fingers, toes and anything that dangles are crossed for good news tomorrow!
blamesociety

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 pm

I thought you might be stressing. thats why i didnt tell you how much..

To be totally honest in 6 years with Mitsi i have seen well over 100 of these engines through our shop. None have been charged to customer for coolant loss. we had 1 was never serviced, only had oil topped up, and that seized. No warranty. And another was butchered by a local garage, and it let go big time and threw a leg out.

So good luck anyways fella
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Duck on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:11 am

100 replacement engines in 6 years at one shop ! How ridiculous is that, Mitsubishi should hang there head in shame, what does that equate to across Australia?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:18 pm

Good customer service...
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion