Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby har05l on Tue May 01, 2018 2:52 pm

My replacement was done in August 2016 and I’ve clocked up 77k kms since with the only issue being an egr failure which the dealer said was a first. Ran the chip most of those kms as well.
Did the injectors about 2k kms ago so I’m fairly confident this engine should see me through a few years yet and don’t regret keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tritondamo on Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm

My mn 2015 triton has 120 000 and just under warranty and waiting to see if Mitsubishi will replace it it's been at von bribe for a week and still no answer if they replace the engine will I get a new warranty and will they wind the speedo back
Tritondamo

Postby har05l on Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Tritondamo wrote:My mn 2015 triton has 120 000 and just under warranty and waiting to see if Mitsubishi will replace it it's been at von bribe for a week and still no answer if they replace the engine will I get a new warranty and will they wind the speedo back

Warranty will be 12months on labour and wind Speedo back, no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DanAu on Sat May 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Motor replaced just shy of 58,000 km.

Got it back yesterday... so far so good. Pretty hassle free - They took a week to do it and I received a loan car while it was done. They even replaced the headlights while it was in there.
DanAu

Postby baito on Mon May 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Danau i have pmed ya
baito

Postby DanAu on Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm

What happens with the service schedule under a new engine? Does it start again?
DanAu

Postby L200Shogun on Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 pm

DanAu wrote:What happens with the service schedule under a new engine? Does it start again?

Ask at Dealer workshop. My understanding was servicing continues as per the odometer.
L200Shogun

Postby Booger on Tue May 22, 2018 2:17 pm

DanAu wrote:What happens with the service schedule under a new engine? Does it start again?

Yeah, as said above. my sticker has 15,000km for next service, but I think I'll squeeze one in-between that, as I've been doing all along. No mention of 1,500k check-up.
I was also told by MMA, warranty on a new replaced engine is 20,000k's or 12mnths, which I don't think is long enough.

I believe I may have solved my over temperature issue.... Tomorrow my local dealer will look at changing the Fan Hub and check the thermostat under warranty. Cannot believe how expensive those gel hubs are. Repco quoted over $500, and over $100 for a themostat and seal.
Booger

Postby L200Shogun on Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm

The longer I own my Triton the more I regret buying it. This overheating issue plays with my mind. My car is out of warranty at the end of the year. I understand it had a known manufacturing fault when it was sold to me. I have read in posts that it is covered my "consumer law" . Where would I find this written for sure that MMAL have to repair/replace engine? I asked at a workshop today if my engine failed outside warranty. It was my problem
L200Shogun

Postby DanAu on Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm

L200Shogun wrote:

Ask at Dealer workshop. My understanding was servicing continues as per the odometer.

Sorry mate no dealers were open at 10pm last night so I thought it would be okay to ask on here.
DanAu

Postby L200Shogun on Tue May 22, 2018 8:01 pm

I meant confirm with them. Doesn't matter what a random on the internet posts. My understanding may be wrong.
L200Shogun

Postby DanAu on Wed May 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Okay then. I just thought this was a place for sharing anecdotal evidence to limit the ability for dealers to pull the wool over each others eyes.
DanAu

Postby Scale on Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 am

Mine has started from scratch and it was said to me that all major service are covered under warranty up to where the new engine was installed.have to wait and see if this is correct though.
Scale

Postby 98kellrs on Fri May 25, 2018 7:34 am

I was told the service schedule remains based on the odometer, whic his a bit off if your engine gets replaced right before a major service interval :shock:
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sanitised - swearing
98kellrs

Postby enis on Sun May 27, 2018 4:09 pm

MY11 GLX-R 140 00km
Just had mine replaced at Bunbury Mitsubishi. I initially took it in a couple of weeks ago for diagnosis. The Same afternoon they rang to say pick it up and bring it back on the 21 May and they would put a new engine in. Took just two days and they replaced the clutch, charging parts only. Very impressed with Russell the service advisor who was real helpful. Not often you get real satisfaction from a warranty claim.
enis

Postby shaggy on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:18 am

Got mine back last week after 3 month
2010 with 170000km on clock
Brand new MQ as loan car the whole time, which I put 6500km on.
shaggy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby puttingau on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Yes
Date Replaced: 19/6/18
Build Date: MY14 (pc challenger)
KM: 110,000

First overheating occurred June 2016, 70,000k, towing camper trailer out of Broome to Perth. Worried my way down the WA coast, advised in Geraldton all was OK, then again in Perth, at original dealership, in July, again advised all OK.

Did several trips of 1200+ kilometers since then, and one to Melbourne (6,000+), no overheating problems at all, towing the camper trailer, assumed previous problem was a one off, couldn't be explained.

Then at 110,000k, travelling to Alice Springs (towing camper again), overheated just out of Alice.
Mitsubishi agent did a proper check, (took off head), and recommended replacement of long engine. It took a week for them to determine that, then another two weeks for the approval from Mitsubishi. A further two weeks to have the engine sent up from Melbourne, and installed.

Installation included a new clutch, which was not covered, old one was almost worn out (75% to 90% estimate).
Engine was under warranty, but not the clutch.

Can anyone say whether a clutch only lasts such a short time? I guess it may have lasted until 140,000k?

Also, was told that the warranty for the new engine is 10 years, but is still limited to the 130,000k of the original warranty. They explained it was like a battery warranty, if a battery fails you only get the new warranty for the pro rata period after the dud battery failed. There is a certain logic to this, but in my case, that means I will have a warranty of only 20,000k for this new engine, which doesn't seem fair at all.
puttingau

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 am

puttingau wrote:Can anyone say whether a clutch only lasts such a short time? I guess it may have lasted until 140,000k?

The OEM clutch seems to fry very quickly if you tow, use the vehicle off road, reverse up a driveway, or drive the vehicle. :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 am

Always wanted to be a clutch salesman Bill? :lol:

How's your super clutch going?

You'd think the design of a clutch would at least pass 10% or more, than the torque that the gearbox is rated for.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MarkoMN on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Yes
Long motor
Date Replaced: I think around15/01/2018
Build Date: MY13 GLXR duel cab
KM: 60,000

Took them almost 5 weeks ...

Still losing coolant now and have had it re-tested 2/3 times and they recon it’s the safari snorkel coolant reserve tank being too small but do t see how that can be the problem coolant is now down to the lower level and just noticed the temp for the the coolant is now sitting around 95 degrees anyone know what it should be sitting at? It was only 17 degrees outside too and I wasn’t even pushing it, normally it’s sitting at 89-92...
Own a MQ 2016 GLS
Owned an MN - Sold
MarkoMN

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 am

RHKTriton wrote:Always wanted to be a clutch salesman Bill? :lol:

I've sold worse...

RHKTriton wrote:How's your super clutch going?

Awesome. It really works well without all the mud in the bellhousing :lol:

RHKTriton wrote:You'd think the design of a clutch would at least pass 10% or more, than the torque that the gearbox is rated for.

You'd hope. Sadly, this is not the case nowadays. There are quite a few articles related to the generally poor quality of ALL Thai-built utes. I read one the other day, that basically says the manufacturers are laughing at the quality of the stuff that we lap up. Spoke of significant defects on ALL brands that are ticking time bombs. I'll see if I can find a link for it.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Redneck198033 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Well, I'm back at it again, has anyone else got the record of cooking 3 motor. Will not be lying down this time, Have spoken top NSW Fair Trading & have been advised to use the - NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) & use the customer law.

This is a cot out of the ACCC's web site & NSW Fair Trading.

Products & services bought before 2011
When things go wrong with products or services you bought before 1 January 2011, you may still have rights under the previous consumer protection law called the Trade Practices Act.
• Consumer guarantees from 1 January 2011
• Products bought prior to 1 January 2011
• Services bought prior to 1 January 2011
• Remedies
• If it’s not right, use your rights
• More information
Consumer guarantees from 1 January 2011
Currently, consumer rights are covered under the Australian Consumer Law consumer guarantees. The following implied warranties and conditions apply to products and services purchased prior to 1 January 2011.
Products bought prior to 1 January 2011
Products must:
• be of merchantable quality, which means free of obvious defects and meet basic levels of quality and performance for their price and description
• be fit for purpose, which means do everything usually expected and as you described to the salesperson
• match the description you were given or the sample you chose from
• have clear title, including products bought at auction. That means the salesperson must tell you of any restrictions on ownership before you buy the product
• have quiet possession, which means the salesperson must tell you of any debts, charges or restrictions on your ownership before you buy.
Services bought prior to 1 January 2011
Services must be carried out with due care and skill. Any materials supplied in connection with the service must be fit for purpose.
Warranties for services may not apply if you:
• didn’t make clear beforehand what you wanted done
• stated that you wanted the service done in a way that wouldn’t usually be done or with materials that wouldn’t usually be used and then you didn’t like the result
• the agreement involved the transportation or storage of goods for your business or relates to a contract of insurance.
Remedies
If goods or services purchased before 1 January 2011 do not meet one of the above statutory conditions or statutory warranties, you may be entitled to a remedy from the seller.
The appropriate remedy will depend on the particular circumstances and may include:
• repair or replacement of the goods
• exchange of the goods or re-supply of the services
• payment for these things to be done, or
• refund (in some circumstances).

& this one from NSW fair Trading.

You have the right to a repair, refund or replacement if goods or services bought in Australia do not meet one or more consumer guarantees. Guarantees apply to both major and minor problems.
Products
You can claim a remedy from the retailer if the products do not meet one or more of the consumer guarantees, with the exception of availability of spare parts and repair facilities. The retailer cannot refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer. You can approach the manufacturer or importer directly, however, you cannot demand that a manufacturer or importer provide you with a repair, replacement or refund. You are only entitled to recover costs from them, which includes an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss.
You can claim a remedy directly from the manufacturer or importer if the goods do not meet one or more of the following consumer guarantees:
• acceptable quality
• matching description
• any extra promises made about such things like performance, condition and quality
• repairs and spare parts.
The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that spare parts and repair facilities are available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise. How long is ‘reasonable’ will depend on the type of product.
Services
You can claim a remedy from the supplier if the services don’t meet any of the consumer guarantees in relation to services. Remedies include cancelling a service and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.
Repairs
If you have a minor problem with a product or service, the business can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund. You must accept this free repair if the business offers it to you. If the business fails to give you a free repair within a reasonable time or cannot fix your problem, you can:
• get it done elsewhere and pass on the costs to the business
• ask for a replacement
• ask for a refund
• recover compensation for the drop in value below the price paid.
Repair notices
Under the Australian Consumer Law, businesses who repair goods must provide consumers with repair notices when:
• the goods being repaired are capable of retaining user-generated data, for example, mobile phones, computers, portable music players and other similar electronic goods
• it’s the repairer’s practice to supply refurbished goods rather than repair defective goods, or to use refurbished parts in the repair of defective goods.
The consumer must receive the repair notice in writing before the goods are accepted by the business for repair.
Replacements and refunds
When you have a major problem with a product, you have the right to ask for a replacement or refund. For a major problem with a service, you can choose to receive compensation for the drop in value below the price paid, or a refund.
Replaced products must be similar to the original product. Refunds should be the same amount you paid and given to you in the same form as your original payment. The business can take into account how much time has passed since you bought the product considering the following factors:
• type of product
• how a consumer is likely to use the product
• the length of time for which it is reasonable for the product to be used
• the amount of use it could reasonably be expected to tolerate before the failure becomes noticeable.
For a major problem with services, you can cancel the contract and get a refund or compensation for the drop in value of your services provided compared to the price paid.
What is a major problem?
A product or good has a major problem when:
• it would stop someone from buying it if they’d known about it
• it’s unsafe
• it’s significantly different from the sample or description
• it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.
A service has a major problem when:
• it would stop someone from buying it if they’d known about it
• it’s substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
• it does not meet the specific purpose you asked for and cannot easily be fixed within a reasonable time
• it creates an unsafe situation.
Returning the product
You don’t have to return products in the original packaging in order to get a refund. You’re responsible for returning the product, unless the cost of doing so is significant. If it is, the business must organise and pay for the return or exchange.
No refund signs
A sign in a store that says 'no refunds' is illegal because it implies you won’t get an appropriate remedy even if the goods you bought have a major problem. Other examples of illegal signs are 'No refund on sale items', 'No refund after 7 days' or 'Exchange or credit note only for return of sale items'.
Your rights under the consumer guarantees do not have a specific expiry date and can apply even after any warranties you’ve received from a business have expired. Signs that state 'No refund for incorrect choice' or 'No refund if you change your mind' are legal.
Exceptions
Rights to a repair, replacement, refund, cancellation or compensation do not apply to items:
• worth more than $40,000 purely for business use, such as machinery or farming equipment
• bought at auction where the auctioneer acted as an agent for the owner (but you do have rights to full title, undisturbed possession and no unknown debts or extra charges).
Go to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) website for information on your rights when things go wrong with products or services bought before 1 January 2011.
A business can refuse to give you a free repair, replacement or refund if:
• you simply changed your mind
• you misused the product or service in a way that contributed to the problem
• you asked for a service to be done in a certain way against the advice of the business or were unclear about what you wanted
• a problem with a service was completely outside of the business’ control.

So this will be just me & Mitsubishi in court & the judge will be handing down a decision.

So all I can say is even if your warranty 10Year has run out you are still protected by this law.
Time to fight back.

Had enough.
Redneck198033

Postby Joel on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Interested to hear the outcome. Keep us posted and good luck
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Redneck198033 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Why has it posted twice??
Redneck198033

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Redneck198033 wrote:Why has it posted twice??

Various reasons.

Either you hit the Submit button twice or your software didn't get the message that the posts had been sent and resent it are the most common.

Anyway, I've fixed it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion