Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby Maxiy on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am

So my brothers MN looks to have joined the overheating club.

Over heated twice on the weekend, radiator purging coolant into overflow bottle. Our family mechanic says it is likely to be an engine replacement.

ANYWAY, he has it booked in for the 3rd of sep for its OFFICIAL inspection, but will take it in this week for preliminary look over.

i have a few question i hope people can answer.

1. should he be taking off his catch can before they look at it, or are these OK to leave and wont cause any unnecessary pointing of the finger ?
2. He has a broken clip on his air box, which he temporarily repaired with a zip tie, should he repair this properly before taking it in (again to avoid unnecessary finger pointing) ?
3. This has got me worrying about my engine, so if my engine decides to sh!# itself AFTER my warranty runs out, am i still eligible for a replacement at no cost ?

Thanks in advance
Maxiy

Postby taxman74 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Maxiy wrote:So my brothers MN looks to have joined the overheating club.

Over heated twice on the weekend, radiator purging coolant into overflow bottle. Our family mechanic says it is likely to be an engine replacement.

ANYWAY, he has it booked in for the 3rd of sep for its OFFICIAL inspection, but will take it in this week for preliminary look over.

i have a few question i hope people can answer.

1. should he be taking off his catch can before they look at it, or are these OK to leave and wont cause any unnecessary pointing of the finger ?
2. He has a broken clip on his air box, which he temporarily repaired with a zip tie, should he repair this properly before taking it in (again to avoid unnecessary finger pointing) ?
3. This has got me worrying about my engine, so if my engine decides to sh!# itself AFTER my warranty runs out, am i still eligible for a replacement at no cost ?

Thanks in advance

Would like to know this aswell.
taxman74

Postby puttingau on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Also, was told that the warranty for the new engine is 10 years, but is still limited to the 130,000k of the original warranty.

I confirmed this after I had the first service following the installation of my new engine. This time it was compared to other car parts such as wing mirror, etc, saying that a wing mirror which turned out to be faulty would be replaced, before 130,000k, but not if it failed again after 130,000k. I understand this, seems reasonable, but not for the major part of a car, the engine.

I see in this thread and others that some have had second new engines, and wonder, has anyone had a new engine refused a second time? Does this kind of thing happen only with cars? I know I have had other items replaced with identical warranty, when they fail before the warranty period. Has anyone complained to the AAAC about this policy? Bearing in mind that these cars have been sold KNOWING they may have the overheating problem.

Out of interest, the person who I asked at the dealership which just did my 120,000k service, said that in the three years that she worked there, at least 100 cars had received new engines. Every week there seemed to be a new engine being fitted because of this overheating problem. Encouragingly, she said that she hadn't seen or heard of any of the replaced engines overheating.
puttingau

Postby Crash486 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:38 am

I am guessing that price is the barrier to continued replacement although I agree replacing with defective items should not be exempt. It maybe as has been mentioned in this thread that incorrectly bleeding the air from the system when replacing is the root cause of additional failures and then its a dealer issue not MMA problem.
I have had warranty refused on minor items before eg safety power board. The plastic grommet would go brittle after about 3 months in the sun and fail. It was then unsafe to use on the worksite. It was replaced twice and then the supplier said no more.

crash486
Crash486

Postby Redneck198033 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Update, I now have a lawyer looking into my case, I now have to write an affidavit, lucky I kept some notes just for this day & all the emails to a from MMAL & dealer.

The key here to beating them is to have an expert make a report of the car & it's failures, this will cost about $3000 as he will look at the motor that the dealer has to keep for 3 months for warranty, before giving it back to MMAL.

So will keep you posted. Don't let them win ;)

Just for the record I'm on my 4th motor 3 replacements. Also the 4th is leaking so much oil from the back where the motor & gearbox meet that I had to put a tray on the ground under the motor. such a fun experience.

Keep your head high, sorry just a note to self. Hahahaha
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Redneck198033

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Redneck198033 wrote:Update, I now have a lawyer looking into my case, I now have to write an affidavit, lucky I kept some notes just for this day & all the emails to a from MMAL & dealer.

The key here to beating them is to have an expert make a report of the car & it's failures, this will cost about $3000 as he will look at the motor that the dealer has to keep for 3 months for warranty, before giving it back to MMAL.

So will keep you posted. Don't let them win ;)

Just for the record I'm on my 4th motor 3 replacements. Also the 4th is leaking so much oil from the back where the motor & gearbox meet that I had to put a tray on the ground under the motor. such a fun experience.

Keep your head high, sorry just a note to self. Hahahaha

Good luck my man. You've gotten this far, I say keep at it. 4 motors is pretty ridiculous. Hopefully you come out on top.
TheSheepKed

Postby tofu on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am

is anyone able to provide advice on whether this problem effects all the vehicles in this range? (date/model) or are there some vehicles that are lucky?

i recently bought a 2010 triton glxr and so far there hasn't been any overheating issues and im unsure of the history (whether it was already replaced or not). i had a look and it seems to have the 127kpa radiator cap.
tofu

Postby MN Driver on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

I have a 2011 glxr and have had no problems at all. It has the updated radiator cap on it and temp sits at half way all the time.
MN Driver

Postby tofu on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm

cheers. so far that is the same as mine except a 2010 model. will keep an eye on it.
tofu

Postby Mayhem2015 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 pm

The problem impacts random MN's through the years. There was a theory about there being a dodgy assembly line that caused the issue. The latest I have heard is that they got lazy changing the blades used to cut the engine blocks and this created the more porous finish on the top of the block. If your engine was cut on a new blade you are good as gold. Old blade = timebomb.

Thing is you just don't know. Mine is nearly at 100k so I would have thought it would have presented by now but I have read about some going at 120k.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby tofu on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm

thanks, sitting at just under 90k at the moment. hopefully i dont have to deal with any of the overheating issues...
tofu

Postby har05l on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Mayhem2015 wrote:
Thing is you just don't know. Mine is nearly at 100k so I would have thought it would have presented by now but I have read about some going at 120k.

Don’t let the km’s be a reference as it means nothing.

Mines a 2010 and let go a few years ago @ 167k km’s.

If they’re gunna go it’ll happen when you least expect it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

har05l wrote:
Mayhem2015 wrote:

What month of 2010 was yours built?

I have a January 2010 build and so far, so good. Never did the recall test thing, but did do a sustained high load towing exercise up the Palmerston. That was prior to having an Ultra gauge and egt gauge. Subsequent similar trips with said gauges freaked me out a bit. I figured if there was any weakness in the head, gasket, block interface then that first exercise should have revealed it....
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Mines July 2010 Longranger.

For your sake I hope it keeps going because they are a fantastic ute and I for one don’t ever intend on getting rid of mine......

[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tofu on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 am

i still see recent posts (up to june 2018) of mitsubishi replacing the engine due to this fault. my question is: does the owner of the vehicle need to be the original or will they still replace if you are second/third owner?

i have only had the ute for a few months and i love it but now all i do is worry that i'll eventually get the problem.
tofu

Postby jrs184 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:09 pm

This problem has not gone away for the owners and for MMA. It would be fair in my mind for MMA to offer a buy back replacement for all suspect MN's with faulty or not engines. Offer owners a redbook price for vehicle as a trade in on a brand new MQ...I am sure many owners would upgrade just for peace of mind and have smiles rather than scowls and ulcers over concerns their cars may give up the ghost at any time and MMA may beable to mend some of the damage done to their reputation and faith in their products...
jrs184

Postby srb on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:52 am

Longranger1 wrote:
har05l wrote:
Mayhem2015 wrote:

What month of 2010 was yours built?

I have a January 2010 build and so far, so good. Never did the recall test thing, but did do a sustained high load towing exercise up the Palmerston. That was prior to having an Ultra gauge and egt gauge. Subsequent similar trips with said gauges freaked me out a bit. I figured if there was any weakness in the head, gasket, block interface then that first exercise should have revealed it....
Good to see yours is still hanging in there, Pete.

Seems to be plenty still out there that haven't done that campaign, including mine, all still on original engines with over 200k km's.

I don't even think about it now, engine is runs smoothly, chipped, still on original injectors, and always runs cool even when heavily loaded and towing, I wouldn't trade for any of the POS new generation utes!

In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to do another lap around Australia in it... Well, except for my seats are almost unbearable to sit, they're completely worn out and resemble a chewed dog toy.
Would also need to re-glue the body back together as it's starting to pull away from the body mounts in multiple places, then there's the radiator and fire wall have stress cracks forming.. Oh and need to replace the injector seals as they're are leaking more oil than a Landrover on a bad day.

Otherwise, she's rock solid and ready to go.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah Steve, copy that on the newer generation utes...

Yours has been fantastic and I hope mine holds up that well. So far. So good. I know a dozen or so owners of mn's of similar vintage that have had no issues. Must be the lucky ones...

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Yeah Pete we've definitely been lucky so far.

But I think it helps when you throw a bit of preventive measure at it.

Even before the problem was known I kept eye on my temperatures, from day one I noticed mine was running real hot, ended up being an air lock in cooling system, I fixed this myself with the help of this forum, because dealership was too usless to recognise that issue.

I reckon a lot of MNs have failed this way and dealerships have been blaming the surface block. Not to say there isn't that issue but it would explain why so many have had two or three engine replaced and then fail straight away. Meh who are we to know.

Apart from their few issue they're a fairly bullet proof little ute... Also very easy to work on for a modern day vehicle, nothing real complex compared with the newer stuff, no stupid dpf, no smart alternators, no buttons to engage 4x4.

And it seems my real world fuel economy is comparable to the new generation as well, mine is still regularly getting 10s and 11s around town, with 2.6t and running 32" mud tyres full time.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:58 pm

tofu wrote:i still see recent posts (up to june 2018) of mitsubishi replacing the engine due to this fault. my question is: does the owner of the vehicle need to be the original or will they still replace if you are second/third owner?

i have only had the ute for a few months and i love it but now all i do is worry that i'll eventually get the problem.

No dramas, I bought mine 2nd hand with 130,000km on it, had the overheat problem diagnosed 2 years later and got a new engine put in under the recall. If it does end up with the problem, best to keep good records. I was fortunate to have the issue after having the radiator replaced, so they couldn't pin it on anything else. The diagnostic test of the coolant to check for exhaust gases is how they determine the head issue AFAIK.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Diesel Dick on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:31 pm

they are about to put my fourth motor in too!

33,000 km
83,000km
112,000 km

bought new November 2014.

all Mitsubishi log book servicing

sad thing is, i really like my triton. simple but effective!
Diesel Dick

Postby Redneck198033 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:19 am

Diesel Dick wrote:they are about to put my fourth motor in too!

33,000 km
83,000km
112,000 km

bought new November 2014.

all Mitsubishi log book servicing

sad thing is, i really like my triton. simple but effective!

Join the exclusive club mate. Your numbers are so close to mine (60k, 90k & 112k 2010 model)
Redneck198033

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Still cant believe that a dud block could get down the production line, as far as fitting the head, without a fault being detected before assembly.

Mitsi must be using complete nuffies.

Re the air bleeding, we had the mn front end on car ramps, when the coolant got refilled after the timing belt job and only a small top up of the overflow bottle was needed a couple of days later.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:44 am

Hi All

SO my brothers MN is still cooking itself. He has had it into the delaer twice now, first time they said radiator is blocked, so they replaced that.
Still over heated, so he took it in again
Second time they said it was a shoddy thermostat, because of a bad battery earth :?: so they replaced the thermostat.
Still overheating, so its back at the dealer now.

Anyway i wanted some advice from people who have been through this. The engine is giving all the symptoms of the dreaded block/head issue, but the dealer doesn't seem to want to admit it.
His warranty is nearing the 5 yr mark, which makes me worried that they are just trying to drag it out, and avoid forking out for a new engine.

If they come back with some other stupid little fix, do we have grounds to insist that they replace the engine, based on the fact that this is a known issue, and the car wont even drive 15kms anymore without boiling itself. :x :x :x
Maxiy

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:21 am

Combustion gas coolant check. Do that asap.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion