Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm

UPDATE - Got the truck back from Mitsi service today, after requesting they investigate the overheat issue. Got told it is definitely overheating and the cause is a blown head gasket. So, now I am waiting to see what Mitsubishi are going to do while the service guy reckons it'll get a new engine. Still driveable but if it gets bad or stops going, need to contact them. Just a waiting game now and keeping fingers crossed. There are lots of good outcomes on here so I hope I will be another one.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am

Hey there, great news. New engine coming at the end of next month, long motor c/w new injectors being installed under recall at Mitsubishi expense. I didn't have a totally up to date service record as I do my own maintenance, but it was done by workshops till 130,000km and I now have 190,000km on it.
B.T.W, if anyone is trying to keep track of the engine numbers of the ones affected, as I saw somewhere in my searches, mine is 4D56UCCJ927#[left the last number out for security :)
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Joel on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:03 am

Not a bad outcome. Glad to hear mitsi are still doing as they should
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Roguegir on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:36 am

I have a 2010 MN with 168k and it started with bubbling engine and coolant loss from overflow. Now it overheats when idle and it can bearly get lower then 96°
Its had the cooling campaign done when I had the indicator fix.
Didn't think I had a chance of replacement as I'm just past warranty, but if wildturkeycanoe got his at 190k then I'm feeling a little hopeful.

Is there a certain way to do approach them to make this easy or am I doomed for heartache?
Im close to Heartland - Castle Hill and Lander - Blacktown. Has anyone here been to either of these to get a new engine? And how much do they put you through?
Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Roguegir

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Roguegir wrote:Didn't think I had a chance of replacement as I'm just past warranty, but if wildturkeycanoe got his at 190k then I'm feeling a little hopeful.

Hopefully they don't try the old "blame the bullbar" line...
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Terror on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 am

An update on the progress of my ute. It's now been almost 3 MONTHS at the dealership. I've had to buy a replacement vehicle, and guess what, it wasn't another Mitsubishi. What was supposed to take 3-4 weeks has now taken 3 months and last I spoke to the dealer it will be another 2 weeks at least. I can't believe it has taken so long. Apparently the dealer has been slowed down by MMAL dragging their heals but who knows if this is true. Some apprentice mechanic could have been driving around in my car for the past 2 months for all I know as I can't actually call MMAL themselves to follow up on anything.

Yes I'm just a little bit angry.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Terror

Postby jc163041 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Just had mine replaced.

14MY
55K on the clock.
Took 2.5 weeks but i got a loan car and it was fully covered by Mitsubishi.

Is there any chance of the new engine having the same fault?
jc163041

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Roguegir wrote:I have a 2010 MN with 168k and it started with bubbling engine and coolant loss from overflow. Now it overheats when idle and it can bearly get lower then 96°
Its had the cooling campaign done when I had the indicator fix.
Didn't think I had a chance of replacement as I'm just past warranty, but if wildturkeycanoe got his at 190k then I'm feeling a little hopeful.

Is there a certain way to do approach them to make this easy or am I doomed for heartache?
Im close to Heartland - Castle Hill and Lander - Blacktown. Has anyone here been to either of these to get a new engine? And how much do they put you through?
Click to view larger picture

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There isn't much to lose by taking it to a Mitsi dealer and asking them to check for you, as mine was going to cost me only $75 or so to investigate. If there is a history of overheating and it's been through the recall service, then I cannot see why it wouldn't be a MMAL issue. After all, if they aren't going to do anything about engines that fail after the radiator recall service, what is the point of doing the recall on the older engines at all, considering that the extra pressure will probably kill them or the radiator anyway?
wildturkeycanoe

Postby 98kellrs on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Terror wrote:An update on the progress of my ute. It's now been almost 3 MONTHS at the dealership. I've had to buy a replacement vehicle, and guess what, it wasn't another Mitsubishi. What was supposed to take 3-4 weeks has now taken 3 months and last I spoke to the dealer it will be another 2 weeks at least. I can't believe it has taken so long. Apparently the dealer has been slowed down by MMAL dragging their heals but who knows if this is true. Some apprentice mechanic could have been driving around in my car for the past 2 months for all I know as I can't actually call MMAL themselves to follow up on anything.

Yes I'm just a little bit angry.

That's farcical, talk to the ACCC or even better start mouthing off on their facebook page. The latter will get results quicker...

Mine took 4 weeks start-to-finish so it sounds like someone is dragging their feet somewhere. The dealership probably don't want your car hanging around so it's reasonable that its MMAL's fault but they need to be following up on these things.
98kellrs

Postby ScottE on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:58 am

Our 2014 dual cab Triton has had 3 engine replacements. We have been to the department of Fair Trading and to the tribunal. It has just gone out of warranty and they are now suggesting it may be the ARB bull bar causing the problem. Has anyone had any dealings with Mitsubishi regarding this issue? Thank you.
ScottE

Postby ScottE on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:07 am

Hello, we are having a similar problem to you with our triton, up to our 3rd new engine. What was the outcome with yours? Thank you
ScottE

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:13 am

ScottE wrote: It has just gone out of warranty and they are now suggesting it may be the ARB bull bar causing the problem.

This old chestnut. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ask them why they offer the ARB to prospective buyers, and fit them to new vehicles.

If it's such a problem, they shouldn't be fitting them at the dealership.

They should also be notifying you at the time of fitting, in writing, that this product could be an issue.

Ask them to put in writing that the ARB bar is causing the overheating, and send the correspondence to ARB. That will get them going...
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AlH on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:02 pm

2013 with 112k’s.

Starting to spit out of the overflow bottle. Bubbles typical of a failing head gasket.

I have been doing my own servicing so hopefully no issues.

Work vehicle so this will create some dramas.
AlH

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Check out your radiator cap re the coolant overflow.

I've had the coolant bubbling out on hot days when coming to switching off the engine. ML

Inspection found the seat for the return valve on the cap was distorted and not sealing properly.

Another gave similar problem, but could not identify the cause - new cap fixed it.

I don't have full confidence in the pissy little caps.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AlH on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Trouble is RHKTriton is the bubbles evident with the engine reving a little.

Ok, the ute is book in.

I’m not up on all the dramas with the Head sealing issues with these models. What is the likely procedure? They started on me re servicing as I do my own and major work by a local mech. 112k’s on my 2013second owner. Should this be covered by Mitsubishi or am I up for the cost?

Thanks guys.

Al.
AlH

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Mitsi sent out vehicles with detective engines, so dealer should have procedures to test for failing unit.

Anything dealing with head to block sealing issues on the 2.5 should be warranty job based on the track record.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AlH on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks mate, I’ll keep ya’s posted.

In the meantime I’m on the lookout for a cheap ute. :roll:
AlH

Postby Still.uted on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 pm

hi all could have been uted but just still.uted i'll explain so add me to the list. has your mn engine been replaced .yes it has.failed the stress test big time .and got its self a new motor .so ive got a 2011 mn glxr and its just clocked up 42.000 thousand and now has a new motor and ive got to thank the guys at dj mitsi down here in hobart as they have had a bit of a tough month .three days after i dropped the triton of to them i was looking at fb and having a chuckle at some new footage of a burst water main a decent size water main 15 meter high water spout and you could hear rocks and bits of pathing raining down on the building behind the water spout then i realised hang on thats djs and thats where my bloody triton is parked right behind the tree getting covered in water so i called in next morning to see how it all turned out .well one of the guys told me.( quote we new it was seriuos when the old phone fax floated out of spare parts and drifted past the entrance to the service center .) in short about a million in spare parts lost .4 vehicles wrote off .5 days befor the mechanics could workin the garage .it will be 8 months befor the service center guys get out of the temporary site shed .there talking one year befor the show room is open again (still trying to dry the water out of between the floor slabs with big blowers running 24/7 at the moment .and with all that going on my 11 model and im the second owner and its 2 years out of its 5 years of being looked after by mitsi and they bolted the new motor in with out any questions its on the campain we'll fix it in three weeks all things considered... well done guys ....... :)
Still.uted

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 pm

Picked up my vehicle this afternoon with new engine. Wow! Talk about torque. Instead of revving at 3500rpm and constantly shifting between 4th and 5th up an often travelled hill, it grunted along doing a fraction under 2000 revs. Response is much better too. Guess the old motor was struggling. I didn't get the manifold cleaned as apparently it wasn't too bad, so will get the blanking plate back in ASAP to prevent future issues.
No extra costs involved, so all fluids and filters were covered by the recall campaign.
Too early to say how it will perform but so far with barely 100km on it, I am extremely happy.
Engine number after the 4D56U is CZY****. Hoping it stands for CraZY, LOL.
With such a new, clean engine, it looks as if there are new components there the old motor didn't have, but that is probably my imagination. A nice gold coloured thing on front right hand side, a big silver thing on top at the front....just doesn't look the same at all without the muck and grime.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby docta.phipps on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:06 pm

wildturkeycanoe wrote:Picked up my vehicle this afternoon with new engine. Wow! Talk about torque. Instead of revving at 3500rpm and constantly shifting between 4th and 5th up an often travelled hill, it grunted along doing a fraction under 2000 revs. Response is much better too. Guess the old motor was struggling. I didn't get the manifold cleaned as apparently it wasn't too bad, so will get the blanking plate back in ASAP to prevent future issues.
No extra costs involved, so all fluids and filters were covered by the recall campaign.
Too early to say how it will perform but so far with barely 100km on it, I am extremely happy.
Engine number after the 4D56U is CZY****. Hoping it stands for CraZY, LOL.
With such a new, clean engine, it looks as if there are new components there the old motor didn't have, but that is probably my imagination. A nice gold coloured thing on front right hand side, a big silver thing on top at the front....just doesn't look the same at all without the muck and grime.
Curious to know your fuel economy findings.
Mine felt worse after I got it back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
docta.phipps

Postby Booger on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Yep, you can add one more to the list of unfortunate fools who went and bought a Mn triton back in june 2014. Only 61,000Ks, convinced I had missed the bad engine list, I started to add some mod's, as you do.

Fast forward to the 8th April this year. Day one of a week to ten day trip up the coast of NSW, involving a funeral, two reunions, visiting and staying with family, and some work. You know, one of those trips where everything is mapped out with no free time.
Not two hours in... just finishing a hill climb fourth gear, 80k speed limit ( so 90), engine gave a couple of coughs, I see the CE light and 118c on the EDS gauge. Murphy has outdone himself this time, I thought as I could feel that cold sweet rising up my back just before the rage kicked in.

But thanks to NRMA's premium care which I had forgotten about, they gave a Pajero (funny that) for the week while old Tritee sat in a yard now for four weeks. I'm being told it'll/should be ready this Friday. Pff. I know for a fact they haven't started on it yet. "Still waiting on parts" or "parts are in now, but don't have a space".
I've had to hire a car (another Mitz', ASX) for the remainder of this waiting time, since they didn't offer any solution. So MMAL will have to cough up for that in good time.

Probably have to get the thing properly look over to see if it's a keeper or it gets the ass, after I strip all the mods that are still on. Having said that, I hope can be as positive as "wildturkeycanoe" when I get it back....
Booger

Postby bigjobs on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:43 pm

My 2014 MN went bang in 2016 @28000km and the replacement motor has been solid... put 34000km on it.

Warranty is almost out though and I'm having thoughts about moving it on - reallly not keen on the thought of not having warranty to fall back on. :?
bigjobs

Postby bodia on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Does anyone know if out of warranty you have issues, and Mitsubishi stop honouring rectification out of warranty, what the solution and cost to fix involves?
A manual I read suggested the block cant be machined and if that's the case is the engine then cactus?
bodia

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 pm

That's right. Machining won't fix it. If it did, or even could, then Mitsubishi wouldn't have been installing all those new engines.

For vehicles out of warranty it's a case by case situation. Generally they will try to get the owner to contribute on a pro-rata basis. Some have done this while others have dug their heels in and been successful. Very much depends on how supportive your dealer is and whether the Mitsubishi rep had an argument with his missus that morning. Good luck.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 98kellrs on Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am

Machining the block is only an option if the issue is caught at it's very, very early stages.

I had a minor overheat, took it straight to them and they thoroughly examined and determined that the affected metal was very minimal so machining was an appropriate fix rather than a new engine. However, if you let it properly go bang, or overheat multiple times before taking it in normally the damage is too great to machine so they replace the engine.

Of course, only time will tell whether their fix was correct for me.. :shock:
98kellrs

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion