ml engine cuts out while driving

Anything Triton related

ml engine cuts out while driving

Postby morton on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:47 pm

G day. Ive got an ml Triton 3.2 that cuts out while driving. Will be driving along normal conditions, engine has plenty of power and all of a sudden it will cut out and dash lights all come on including engine light. If you try to restart it ,it will only restart if you turn ignition completely off. Has anyone had this issue before Thanks Morton
morton

Re: ml engine cuts out while driving

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I have had this before. Can't remember the code but my issue was to do with accelerator position sensor (low input signal). I took it to Mitsubishi and they trace the wire loom and found connectors had been fiddled ( previous owner farting around in dash) and a wire needed re-terminating.
Thongsbot3000

Postby snowman on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 pm

morton wrote:G day. Ive got an ml Triton 3.2 that cuts out while driving. Will be driving along normal conditions, engine has plenty of power and all of a sudden it will cut out and dash lights all come on including engine light. If you try to restart it ,it will only restart if you turn ignition completely off. Has anyone had this issue before Thanks Morton

it could be a number of things and i think you will need to provide some further info.

did it completely stop or just reduce power? i.e. limp mode?

How many klms?
are you original owner and know history of the inlet manifolds?
do you run some form of EGR plate or module?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby morton on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 am

G day snowman, It completely cuts out, no loss of power before. I'm the original owner and has done 170,000 km. It was got a egr plate and it has got a chip. Thanks
morton

Postby Evolution on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:57 am

I had a similar issue when I first bought my ml turned out to be the connectors for the aftermarket cruise control that was fitted when the previous owner bought the car new. Removed the connectors and soldered the connections instead and have had no issues since.
Evolution

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:02 pm

morton wrote:G day snowman, It completely cuts out, no loss of power before. I'm the original owner and has done 170,000 km. It was got a egr plate and it has got a chip. Thanks

If i were you, revert back to original at given moment. I haven't done chips, but the blank plate does cause limpy's in the ML 3.2. Different issue all together but possibly in the pipeline. People go the resistor mod over the Blank. What type of Chip you running, people here may assist further.

My engine full cut out was due to intermittent connection with Accelerator Position sensor. Scary stuff. I refused to take the family in car for a month after, till confident the issue was fixed. Mitsubishi were really good on this.
Thongsbot3000

Postby coughy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:02 pm

what kind of chip??
sounds like the rail plug to me is not connected properly
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:37 pm

where do you come from morton? nothing in your avatar profile.

I had a similar issue when driving past a particular place that was putting out large amounts of RF interference. I know of someone else that also had trouble in the same location.

just a thought.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chops133 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:37 pm

I'm experiencing this now, engine just cuts out, lights stay on in the dash, I even took the inlet manifold off, cleaned it out, cleaned out the EGR, it stopped for a while, then started again, just replaced the fuel suction control valve , stopped for a couple of days, but back doing it, it only happens when i back off the accelerator, or am just sitting idling. If the car is moving when it happens, I just put it in neutral, restart it and back into drive. Its very frustrating, might look at the accelerator position sensor, where is it on the car and where does the wire go to under the dash?
chops133

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:41 am

If a vehicle just drops out suddenly it suggests a control signal disappearing. In this case, going by the previous, take out the peddle and apply some electrical contact cleaner to the plugs and sockets.

These units seem to have been assembled in high humidity in some cases which causes connector corrosion over time.

I had the recurring SRS light with the drivers side look a few years ago. Cleaned the connectors and applied dielectric grease and problem gone.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:13 am

Instead of fumbling about like 3 blind men in the dark, plug in a code reader when it happens so that you can at least narrow the search down a bit.

Note that OP's already fixed it twice. So, something that was moved, disconnected, reconnected, or just bumped while doing inlet manifold and SCV fixed it for a few days in each case. But then it came back. Suggests electrical. Poor connection in a connector somewhere, probably on the LHS or top of the engine, possibly broken or damaged wire. Here I think RHK's on the right track and has the correct solution, just looking in the wrong place.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby chops133 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:59 pm

Excuse my ignorance NowForThe5th . but what is the LHS?
chops133

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:01 pm

Left Hand Side
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:48 am

X2 on the scan. Would have thought this was done initially.

I've been thinking that the engine relay might be worth a look.

If scans don't reveal anything or you can't access one, I'd also check the ecu relay.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chops133 on Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:01 pm

It was the Camshaft Sensor, replaced it, the hard reset the computer, problem gone!!!
chops133

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:40 am

Nothing like a good outcome.

Son had similar problem with a crankshaft sensor on old jeep. Had one of the worst under bonnet wiring designs which I eventually got up to scratch. Then he flogged it!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion