Turbo intake and water crossings

Anything Triton related

Postby Stuart77 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:26 pm

G'day, just wondering if when doing a crossing I should be mindful of the water level and my turbo intake? I have a snorkel on my MN and my last 4by had an intercooler/intake located right on the highest point of the engine but the MN's isn't much higher than the radiator. Should I be worried? Should I always put a bra on the bullbar just in case?? What does everyone else do??
Cheers!
Stuart77

Re: Turbo intake and water crossings

Postby tomdej on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:54 pm

My 2 cents worth,
If you have a snorkel, and it has no leaks, and the bottom of the airfilter box is sealed then the only air intake is the snorkel. The intercooler is low but that is essentially a radiator and does not take air from outside. The reason for a bra over the bullbar for watercrossings is to 1. prevent water from hitting the radiator fan which could then bend forward into the radiator, although this should be less of a problem in the Triton given it's a clutched fan, 2. to reduce the amount of water hitting the alternator and other electrical devices that may not mix well with water, and 3. by fitting the bra before a crossing you have probably had time to think about the crossing and dropped the temperature in the diffs a little thus reducing the chance of the hot diff hitting the cool water and ingesting water past the seals. With a good diff breather this should be less of a problem.

For others without a snorkel the risk of water crossings is much higher as the air intake is at the front of the engine on the right hand side,and looks like a funnel waiting for water.....
tomdej
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stuart77 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks Tomdej, good advice. The only reason I ask is that I've heard stories of impellers sucking in water then being pushed against the housing or pulling them selves out of the housing much like the flooded radiator fan sucking itself into the radiator.
Speaking of diff breathers, I read that the 2015 MN's rear breather is in the engine bay as standard, anyone know if this is true?
Stuart77

Postby msrlo on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:51 pm

not mine
msrlo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 pm

The front one has always been in the engine bay. The rear is usually a small white cap thing, maybe 20-25mm across, mounted on top of the rear diff. From memory those with a factory locker might have a different breather setup, but even that didn't run to the engine bay. If it changed for 2015 this is the first I've heard of it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:52 pm

tomdej wrote:My 2 cents worth,
If you have a snorkel, and it has no leaks, and the bottom of the airfilter box is sealed then the only air intake is the snorkel. The intercooler is low but that is essentially a radiator and does not take air from outside. The reason for a bra over the bullbar for watercrossings is to 1. prevent water from hitting the radiator fan which could then bend forward into the radiator, although this should be less of a problem in the Triton given it's a clutched fan, 2. to reduce the amount of water hitting the alternator and other electrical devices that may not mix well with water, and 3. by fitting the bra before a crossing you have probably had time to think about the crossing and dropped the temperature in the diffs a little thus reducing the chance of the hot diff hitting the cool water and ingesting water past the seals. With a good diff breather this should be less of a problem.

For others without a snorkel the risk of water crossings is much higher as the air intake is at the front of the engine on the right hand side,and looks like a funnel waiting for water.....

I wouldn't block off the filter boxes one way drain valve, if water does get in your snorkel and drain into the box it will sit in the bottom and not escape..ie..in heavy rain and in a water xing going up the windscreen and it does...I turn my snorkel head around when doing water xings ..I've had water over the screen ..many times it's the shape of the bonnet ..
I recomennd a bra any deeper than a meter ..water will cover the whole front end ..especially if you run in fast..lol...Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Also I'd like to add that "in some conditions and not in the photo( I was muckin about) in deep xings deeper than one meter and even shallower I find that you can cover the bonnet whilst pushing a bow wave...using a bra on a bull bar lessens this tendency for the water to cover the bonnet and screen the later scary...usually obviously slowing down helps but usually caused loss of traction and a car full of water...

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby srb on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Stuart77 wrote:G'day, just wondering if when doing a crossing I should be mindful of the water level and my turbo intake? I have a snorkel on my MN and my last 4by had an intercooler/intake located right on the highest point of the engine but the MN's isn't much higher than the radiator. Should I be worried? Should I always put a bra on the bullbar just in case?? What does everyone else do??
Cheers!

I always tell my Mrs to not to bother with a bra.

But seriously the only time I used a ''water bra" on the front of my MN was in Tassie while driving the Balfour trk. This was mainly due to the faster pace we use to get though numerous and long muddy trenches.

Most of the other times we didn't bother with it and just waded through really slow.

There's no way (post turbo)your intake system will take on water. Unless you damage it while during the water crossing (unlikely).
It holds up to 20+psi positive pressure so you're instantly going to know about it if fails.

However your (pre turbo) intake on the other hand is a lot more likely to take on water if it's not sealed properly. It's in vacuum while the engine is running so it's very important you check a few things before you're about to do any deep crossings.

1. Check that all your intake hoses leading into the airbox and turbo are secure.
2. Check the one way drain valve (bottom of air box) is clear and not jammed open from any dirt or crud.
3. Check that the lid on top of the air box is correctly fastened.

Also a good idea to let vehicle cool down a bit too before making the plunge.

Do these few simple things and you'll be ok. Plenty of Triton owners here have gone windscreen deep without drama. Just don't expect to have dry feet on the other side.

A couple of crossing we've done.
Click to view larger picture

TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm

^^^like he said ^^^ sound advice there...! Steve you've probably crossed more rivers than me lol ...I go fast cause .. I don't like getting the carpet wet...do you have carpet???...oh and I love pushing a bow wave ..carnt help my self being a Shippy..well mine aint a bra bro it's more like a tarp....!!!
But in all seriousness I crawl through when I can unless the bottom is quite soft..oh and always walk the crossing if you can..if you cannot walk it your truck won't..or make your mate go first..lol..

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby Stuart77 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Cheers everyone, particularly for the pics! :shock:
Stuart77

duckbill valve, how good is it?

Postby FQCODEL on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:22 am

Just installed my snorkel, should i seal the duck bill valve? If i seal it, how good is the air box gasket? In the case of getting stuck in a river or bog hole, will the static pressure overcome the gasket and/or duck bill valve?
FQCODEL

Return to General Discussion