I have tamed the triton engine light faults at last

Anything Triton related

I have tamed the triton engine light faults at last

Postby dockers86 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:32 pm

After 2 mn tritons I have eliminated all causes of engine light problems, surging and stalling for $50 and in 1 day.
Cleaned intake manifold using the guide on this forum. This fixed surging.
Added blanking plate and drill 12 mm hole in throttle butterfly.
Cleaned maf and map with contact cleaner.
Most importantly removed and serviced/modified scv. This fixed the stalling and engine light
Car runs like a clock now.
Added secondary fuel filter just for good measure
dockers86

Re: I have tamed the triton engine light faults at last

Postby Jacobie on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:50 am

dockers86 wrote: After 2 mn tritons I have eliminated all causes of engine light problems, surging and stalling for $50

How did you accomplish this mate?
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 am

Jacobie wrote:
dockers86 wrote: After 2 mn tritons I have eliminated all causes of engine light problems, surging and stalling for $50

How did you accomplish this mate?

Ummmm.....

dockers86 wrote:Cleaned intake manifold using the guide on this forum. This fixed surging.
Added blanking plate and drill 12 mm hole in throttle butterfly.
Cleaned maf and map with contact cleaner.
Most importantly removed and serviced/modified scv. This fixed the stalling and engine light
Car runs like a clock now.
Added secondary fuel filter just for good measure
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby borngeek on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 am

Gasket kit for intake manifolds cost more than $50.

//12mm hole will still clog your intake btw, only slower. Look at the spvi electronic delete
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:26 pm

borngeek wrote:Gasket kit for intake manifolds cost more than $50.

//12mm hole will still clog your intake btw, only slower. Look at the spvi electronic delete

I think he drilled the hole in the throttle butterfly.

However, I also agree that the SPVi electronic solution would have been better than this.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dockers86 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:18 am

Hi yes the electronic delete would been better except I deleted EGR before they existed when my problems began. Yes the 12 mil hole is in the throttle butterfly it allows the car to get there which it would normally get from the EGR and doesn't trigger the engine light. no need to replace your inlet manifold gasket as it's a medal gasket just don't damage it and it can be reused no problems. The suction control valve is where most of your problems would be because the tolerances between the inner wall and the piston inside a size small even the finest particles in your diesel will cause it to get stuck. you can remove the piston easily from the inside of the suction control valve and polish it with 2000 grit sandpaper to achieve a slightly larger tolerance with out affecting the way the car runs. this allows the piston to move even if a small particle get between the wall of the piston and cylinder of the suction control valve. prior to doing these things my car would stall on a daily basis completely at traffic lights or partially while driving.
dockers86

Postby dockers86 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:30 am

Okay here is some links to the how to is that I followed to do these things first of all is the intake manifold.http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... kms.34456/

next is a YouTube video for how to do the suction control valve
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmwuyAiG1o
dockers86

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:50 am

I'd retro the electronic egr delete and reseal the throttle flap. That flap being able to shut could one day save your engine from a runaway situation.

I closed off my egr about 2k after purchase, but I'm still keen to pull off the inlet and check the ports and swirl flaps.

Interesting to see how long the SCVs have lasted after a service, mine went about a year before symptoms started again. In the end a new unit was found to be best option.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dockers86 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:42 am

Yeah I thought about doing that I wonder what I could use to block off a 12 mil hole in a brass butterfly though have looked for a huge pop rivet or something like that otherwise I would have to buy a new throttlebody any ideas
dockers86

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:42 am

dockers86 wrote:Yeah I thought about doing that I wonder what I could use to block off a 12 mil hole in a brass butterfly though have looked for a huge pop rivet or something like that otherwise I would have to buy a new throttlebody any ideas

Silver-solder a patch over it. You don't need much heat, so it won't warp the plate.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:12 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
dockers86 wrote:Yeah I thought about doing that I wonder what I could use to block off a 12 mil hole in a brass butterfly though have looked for a huge pop rivet or something like that otherwise I would have to buy a new throttlebody any ideas

Silver-solder a patch over it. You don't need much heat, so it won't warp the plate.

It would be easy enough if you have the time to make another plate maybe

I purchased a new throttle body from aliexpress for a couple hundred dollars, that was when the dollar was good.
Stoneman

Postby Enid_Triton on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:47 am

Oldish post, but for my two cents, I have seen working Tritons with 250,000K's to 300,000K's that were pulled down for a valve adjust & they have had virtually no carbon build up at all. And then I've seen city commuter Tritons with only 35,000K's to 50,000K's that have been nearly completely clogged. It's not just a Triton issue either, because all the late model 4x4's have very similar issues.
So, it would seem that if you do a lot of highway driving you don't get this problem half as bad as the Nine to Five commuters do.
I'm somewhere in the middle of those two scenarios, but I try to take my MN Rattler out on the Highway at least once a week & up it for the rent. This weekly thrashing at 110kph seems to do the trick for me because last time I had the valves adjusted the manifold didn't need cleaning.
Enid_Triton

Postby thebaton on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:11 pm

Can the suction control valve cause an automatic to cut out? Could be why mine does?!?? I do get very slight surging sometimes
thebaton

Postby Alang on Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:41 am

I have triton 2010 mn 4D56 2.5 diesel. At stage feel like dumping it have spent $3200 on fixing supposed engine management problems? Have had injectors checked, ecv changed, common rail switch changed. All done at diesel mechanic garages. Now my problem is at times engine will almost stall when I come to a stop and engine management light comes on code p1272
Any suggestions?
Alang

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion