What is this thing?

Anything Triton related

What is this thing?

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi all, just a short question, what is this plug?
My guess is air temp sensor.
Might have a couple more quick questions afta.

Cheers, Neil.Click to view larger picture
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Re: What is this thing?

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned 2008 ml 4d56 engine,
Here's a better larger photo with the same bit in. Ignore the screwdriver, that's my next questionClick to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Bookmark this link:
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/l200_2006/maintenance/Service_Manual_2007/2007/index_M1.htm

Lots of pretty pictures there, like this one:

intake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 pm

That'll be the inlet air temp.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Nice, thanks for that. Is there a way I can tap into that and see the temp? I don't have a scangauge.
dieselweasel

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Easiest is to get an OBDII scanner dongle and use Torque app on a mobile.

Alternatively, you could build a project, go through a calibration project,etc.

You'll have to be careful hooking up anything directly to any sensors as these hook into the ECU and there's always the risk of damage.

Any particular reason for wanting this temp?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 am

Only to monitor them and get an understanding of how the intercooler performs, I just find it interesting about what factors affect my air intake temps. There's no interesting reason, it's all curiosity.

Where my screwdriver points to in the pic, I was going to shove a sensor in there, I have an egt gauge that it looks like I'll never use so was wondering to get the probe into that spare port that I was pointing to. It may be a dumb idea so that's why I'm asking on here. I just need to adapt the probe to fit
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:02 am

Oh, and obviously drill a wee hole for said probe
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:57 am

dieselweasel wrote:Only to monitor them and get an understanding of how the intercooler performs, I just find it interesting about what factors affect my air intake temps. There's no interesting reason, it's all curiosity.

Where my screwdriver points to in the pic, I was going to shove a sensor in there, I have an egt gauge that it looks like I'll never use so was wondering to get the probe into that spare port that I was pointing to. It may be a dumb idea so that's why I'm asking on here. I just need to adapt the probe to fit

An EGT gauge will work for the purpose, but it might still be worthwhile investing in an OBDII scanner of some type. You don't have to shell out for a Scangauge, there are plenty of inexpensive options, that will give you far more info than the EGT. Plus, some of the Android based ones have logging, so if you ever tinker with things, you can analyse your results.

Like this for example;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Diagnost ... SwIWVY9sOn
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:49 am

An EGT guage is probably a bit of a waste in this application. Your resolution will be minimal and your working out of its optimal measuring range.

I have also considered having a temp probe either side of the intercooler in the past.

Often wonder how effective the intercoolers are on the Tritons. My 2003 Vito had a slightly larger unit mounted beside the radiator with its own thermo fan & this was on around a 2.3l donk. I think this combined with a VGT turbo and much better inlet manifold design offered bags of torque from just above idle. :)

Coming to think of it, our old 307pug also had the intercooler beside the radiator. Makes sense, more air actually goes though it.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm

It's just all in my quest to understand more about things like that, I found out the expensive way and wasted so much time to find out that pre turbo air temps aren't as important as I once thought they were. Looking back over some posts on here, someone did warn me that my quest for pre turbo cool air would be a road that wouldn't lead anywhere amazing but I carried on. It's all called 'learning' though so it's not a waste of anything in my experience. I've got an old still decent phone that I could mount somewhere and hardwire it for use with one of those dongles but I will literally have this egt gauge just doing nothing and gathering dust so I'm up for either option, can anyone on here vouch for this torque app?
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Looking at the pictures on eBay, it shows that you can hardwire it via USB, would that mean I wouldn't have to hardwire the phone?
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 pm

I tend to write things that sound right in my head but when I read them back they sound wrong.
What I meant was can you connect your phone via the dongle with USB to micro USB so it doesn't have to be connected with bluetooth? This way will power the phone too.
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:49 pm

dieselweasel wrote:I tend to write things that sound right in my head but when I read them back they sound wrong.
What I meant was can you connect your phone via the dongle with USB to micro USB so it doesn't have to be connected with bluetooth? This way will power the phone too.

Short answer, I don't know. Maybe message the seller.......

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 pm

RHKTriton wrote:An EGT guage is probably a bit of a waste in this application. Your resolution will be minimal and your working out of its optimal measuring range.

If he has one lying around, it may as well be used for something. The probe could always be left in-situ, and another probe used in the exhaust for the intended purpose.

They usually run a K type thermocouple, which (at the expected AIT range) typically offers 1* resolution, and a reasonably fast response time. Might be enough for what he wants to achieve.......

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:55 pm

This is the exact one I have although I didn't pay as much as this seller wants for it! It's not a waste for me if it's being used productively, torque pro looks awesome and very handy too but as soon as I can find a connector to fit into the bit I'm pointing to in that photo, I can fit it and be done in a couple of hours and I've spent no more money which means the wife will be extra pleased

Like Bill said, I can always use it for egt later down the line

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281387788048?_ ... mwBanner=1
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:19 am

dieselweasel wrote:This is the exact one I have although I didn't pay as much as this seller wants for it! It's not a waste for me if it's being used productively, torque pro looks awesome and very handy too but as soon as I can find a connector to fit into the bit I'm pointing to in that photo, I can fit it and be done in a couple of hours and I've spent no more money which means the wife will be extra pleased

Like Bill said, I can always use it for egt later down the line

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281387788048?_ ... mwBanner=1

I'd probably keep that probe for the exhaust, and buy a smaller diameter one for measuring the air temp (they are quite cheap). Then you can drill a much smaller diameter hole into the fitting and use Devcon or similar to lock it in place.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:52 am

Good idea, I'll get searching for a smaller k type probe. Will have to be careful going into shops and asking the counter staff for a 'small probe'
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Instructions on gauge give me a bit more freedom on what I can use, scuse the bad angleClick to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:56 am

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361815684264

I ordered a couple of these today, you were right, it is a bit wasteful to use the egt gauge, a decimal point on the display would be handy too. Always good having someone else's thoughts on these things as I tend to run blindly into most things
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:06 pm

I took bills advice and bought the obd2 reader in the link, after stuffing around with a 12 v thermometer, I chickened out of drilling into things in the engine bay. I found an old Android that I wasn't using, fed a USB charger into the back of the top storage (glx) and made a bracket for the display. Got my air temps and I'm totally happy with the outcome
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:07 pm

.Click to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 am

Looks good. I like that you can close the lid to deter those who look for a bit of casual theft.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:30 pm

I don't really use it anyways, bracket is just a pressed bit of angle so it's slightly leaning back and sunken in so sunlight won't hit it, the phone is velcro'ed to the bracket so it's easily removed. I bought the paid version of torque pro last night so I now have a hundred more things on the screen. All I have to do now is remember to look at the road now when I drive
dieselweasel

Postby thebaton on Thu May 07, 2020 6:57 am

did you work out the intercooler efficiency?
I have the torque pro app and a cross country intercooler, is the sensor titled 'Intake Air Temperature(°C)' what is measuring the post intercooler air temps?

at 19c ambient that sensor measured 36.9c at 22psi. This is with water methanol too though. will need to test with that off
thebaton

Next

Return to General Discussion