MN Triton Driveline Vibration solution with Single Tailshaft

Anything Triton related

MN Triton Driveline Vibration solution with Single Tailshaft

Postby 2014mn on Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 am

Guys,

I know the whole drive line vibration with the MN tritons has been done too death however when doing my research I really didnt find anything which said that the 1 piece tailshft would rectify this without possibly hitting the cross member etc.

I bought my MN triton glx + with 5 speed manual and easy select 4x4 in june 15 for a bargain at 26990. Then I set about extensively modifying it to be a well rounded work/play/touring vehicle.

I obviously did alot of forum research into which suspension kits would be best suited and i opted for the Dobinson 2 inch lift kit HD option at 300 kg constant leaves. As soon as I put the kit in I developed driveline vibration and so set about the solution offered on this forum not realising that this would be a losing battle. I did the tailshaft spacer.... wedges..... center bearing flip.... removed leaves..... etc with everything improving the driveline vibration but nothing fixing it. BTW I ended up leaving my leave at the constant 100kg as the 300kg was way to HD for me.

It came to an end for me when 2 weeks ago I was booking it in for its 30k service and did an underbody inspection myself.... I was seeing premature wear on alot of the transfer case vibration mounts! This was the last straw for me!

I decided to bite the bullet and sought out a single piece tailshaft conversion..... I went through driveline services Australia in newcastle. The shaft cost $320 installed using my 2 piece flanges and uni joints. I got the guys to lift the vehicle from the rear to ensure it did not touch the cross member on full rear suspension travel and it was close but cleared the cross member by about 10mm. BTW I am not affliated with this business what so ever.

1ST test drive!!!! WOW..... the vehicle felt better than I remember driving it from the dealership floor.... Zero and I mean Zero vibration on take off.... accelerated smoother.... quicker.... such a different driving experience now.

For all those people whom are at a loss with a vibration fix.... well here it is.

Sorry I havnt added any pictures to this post as its all way too hard!

My 2 cents
Last edited by 2014mn on Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014mn

Re: MN Triton Driveline Vibration solution with Single Tails

Postby 2014mn on Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 am

B
2014mn

Postby OffRoadDave on Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am

This is what I wanted to hear, I've given up trying to get rid of the vibe from my Triton, single piece shaft is the next step, it gives me some confidence that this should fix the thing once and for all.
OffRoadDave

Postby carltonfc01 on Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Is there anywhere in Perth that does the single tailshaft?
carltonfc01

Postby als1200 on Sat May 06, 2017 6:11 am

Fantastic real info.
im in Rocky and have had quotes from Mackay to do it when my lift was done.
thanks for posting thst up.
by the way i was quoted $600 with shipping.
als1200

Postby 2014mn on Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 pm

***UPDATE***
The transfer case side vibe mount was replaced today (Was not covered under warranty because of aftermarket suspension Kit)... As I said previously this mount was basically destroyed. Was only $40 for a genuine component. Again another quick drive..... lets just say that I have got nothing less than a huge smile on my face!
2014mn

Postby Linds on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 pm

2014mn wrote:Guys,

I know the whole drive line vibration with the MN tritons has been done too death however when doing my research I really didnt find anything which said that the 1 piece tailshft would rectify this without possibly hitting the cross member etc.

I bought my MN triton glx + with 5 speed manual and easy select 4x4 in june 15 for a bargain at 26990. Then I set about extensively modifying it to be a well rounded work/play/touring vehicle.

I obviously did alot of forum research into which suspension kits would be best suited and i opted for the Dobinson 2 inch lift kit HD option at 300 kg constant leaves. As soon as I put the kit in I developed driveline vibration and so set about the solution offered on this forum not realising that this would be a losing battle. I did the tailshaft spacer.... wedges..... center bearing flip.... removed leaves..... etc with everything improving the driveline vibration but nothing fixing it. BTW I ended up leaving my leave at the constant 100kg as the 300kg was way to HD for me.

It came to an end for me when 2 weeks ago I was booking it in for its 30k service and did an underbody inspection myself.... I was seeing premature wear on alot of the transfer case vibration mounts! This was the last straw for me!

I decided to bite the bullet and sought out a single piece tailshaft conversion..... I went through driveline services Australia in newcastle. The shaft cost $320 installed using my 2 piece flanges and uni joints. I got the guys to lift the vehicle from the rear to ensure it did not touch the cross member on full rear suspension travel and it was close but cleared the cross member by about 10mm. BTW I am not affliated with this business what so ever.

1ST test drive!!!! WOW..... the vehicle felt better than I remember driving it from the dealership floor.... Zero and I mean Zero vibration on take off.... accelerated smoother.... quicker.... such a different driving experience now.

For all those people whom are at a loss with a vibration fix.... well here it is.

Sorry I havnt added any pictures to this post as its all way too hard!

My 2 cents
Linds

Postby Linds on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 pm

WHat I needed to know - thanks :)
Linds

Postby braydenc on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:39 am

Anyone know a place in the perth area that does this?
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby 2014mn on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 pm

braydenc wrote:Anyone know a place in the perth area that does this?

Mate,

A quick google search will tell you that Driveline services Australia is located in perth also.

Hope this helps

Goodluck
2014mn

Postby braydenc on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 pm

2014mn wrote:
braydenc wrote:Anyone know a place in the perth area that does this?

Mate,

A quick google search will tell you that Driveline services Australia is located in perth also.

Hope this helps

Goodluck

Thanking you mate
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby chevute on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes one piece tail shaft works a treat.
Mine and has been done for a few years now and no problems.
I'm pretty sure there is another post somewhere on here .
chevute

Postby Enid_Triton on Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 pm

This is how I got rid of my vibration on my MN GLX 5 speed manual. It took a bit of trial and error but it should work on any two piece tail shaft.
Click to view larger picture

1. First thing you must do is to get the angles on the gearbox drive flange and the input flange of the differential exactly the same. To do this you will need to use Castor wedges under the spring pack which will sit between the axle mounting & the leaf springs. I had to use a pair of 3-degree wedges after a 50mm lift which got the angles exactly the same on both flanges. Sometimes you have to put spacers under the gearbox mount as well to get the angles perfect because you should not use more than 3-degree castor wedges under the springs. Once you have got the angles correct do not change them again.

2. Next you need to get the front half of the two-piece tail shaft aligned with the center bearing. You need to get it almost dead straight (or zero degrees). To do this measure the gearbox flange angle & then measure the angle of the actual tail shaft tube that goes to the center bearing. The angles will probably be different so you minus the smaller angle from the larger angle to get your correct angle. When you do this the angle you get should be within 1to 1.3 degree MAXIMUM off center in a downwards direction. In other words, it must be pretty much dead inline with the gearbox flange, but PLEASE NOTE: it still must be at least 1 degree off dead center so the universal can work correctly and grease itself, but no more than 1.3 degrees. To get this flat angle you will need to put spacers under the center bearing to bring the front half of the tail shaft in an almost straight line with the bearing.

3. The third & final part to line up is the rear section of the tail shaft. It does not matter that this end of the tail shaft looks off center, and even though it will be on an angle compared to the front half, if you have done the first two alignments correctly this should already be spot on.
If not, this is when the tail shaft spacer will help. Putting it just before the diff will increase that "down" angle slightly and also take up any free space in the tail shaft. To work out what size spacer you need you must undo the rear end of the tail shaft at the Diff flange. PLEASE NOTE: Mark the tail shaft & diff flange before you do it just to be safe. You will need to put it back together EXACTLY as it came apart bolt for bolt. Once you have it undone, pull back on the tail shaft toward the engine & it will move forward in that direction towards the center bearing & stop. Now measure the gap between the tail shaft mounting face & the diff mounting flange & that is the size of the spacer you will need. You need it to be just under the size of the gap you measured & not over.

OK that’s it, this should get rid of the vibration in your drive-line, if not then spend $350 bucks on a straight tail shaft. Also, a word of warning rotating the bearing is not a good idea & is only a band aid fix. If you do it, then you will flog out your center bearing in no time flat even if you don’t think you have a vibration after doing it, it will still be there. Also, if you have to space your center bearing more that 10mm forget it & start again or reduce the lift, or even better get a one-piece tail shaft. But even with a one piece shaft the diff and drive (gearbox angles) have to be the same. it's just much easier to achieve.
Enid_Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 pm

Hmmm. I believe you are correct in what you say about getting the angles at each end the same. That is one of the basics of driveshaft theory.

However, your picture show a situation which is the reverse of the problem in the Triton. Firstly, the rear shaft doesn't angle up, it angles down and, with a lift, angles down even more. With a standard suspension the difference in the angles is kind of at the limit but, when lifted, the angle at the diff is much greater than the angle at the gearbox.

To fix this you can use wedges, as you say, and/or a tailshaft spacer. But, if that isn't enough, then you need to drop the centre bearing, not raise it. Dropping the centre bearing increases the angle at the gearbox and reduces the angle at the diff, bringing them closer together, thereby reducing the shudder.

Does flipping the centre bearing work? Yes it does. Made a contribution to shudder reduction on my ML. Unfortunately not enough to get rid of the problem completely when empty, but it did help. Does it contribute to flogging out the bearing? Possibly, since it would be supported from the top, rather than underneath, but I never had any problem with it. Not like the MK which chewed centre bearings no matter which way they were installed.

Have a search for a very detailed post by member "brett05" on correction of the problem by moving the mount for the centre bearing down. The pictures in the post are missing but I do have them and, if someone asks me really nicely I'll arrange hosting and restore them to his post. It's just a big job and I haven't had the time.

Quite a few members have reported that a one piece tailshaft fixes the problem. That depends very much on the engine/gearbox combination and the subsequent position of the back of the gearbox. I can assure you that there is absolutely no way that a one piece tailshaft would have worked on my V6 manual ML VR - it would have gone right through the crossmember. What did work, for me, was about 150kg of gear in the tub which pushed it down enough that in normal use the shudder disappeared. I still had the same suspension droop and lift for off road use, so it was a win-win for me.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Enid_Triton on Sun May 26, 2019 7:24 am

Well, what you say makes sense but the difference is that my tailshaft rear half angles down slightly towards the center bearing fom the diff. That is with a supposedly 50mm suspension lift front & rear, but in reality it has raiseed it by 60mm in the rear. But a friend of mine bought the same kit & his MN didnt even get a 50MM lift. The workshop said that happens constantly with Tritons, they all end up at different heights.
With 3mm castor wedges fitted to get the anges correct at each end I had to raise the center bearing by 8mm to get the front half angled correctly which nearly straightened out the angle on the rear half as well, but it is still sitting at 1.5 degrees down.
Anyway, It got my MN vibration free so Im happy.
Enid_Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 26, 2019 8:56 am

Enid_Triton wrote:my tailshaft rear half angles down slightly towards the center bearing fom the diff.

Unloaded? I don't understand how this can be. Can you post some pictures?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Enid_Triton on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
Enid_Triton wrote:my tailshaft rear half angles down slightly towards the center bearing fom the diff.

Unloaded? I don't understand how this can be. Can you post some pictures?

Mate I wrote that the wrong way around, mine does (as you say) slope down from the center bearing to the diff not the other way around.
I have tried so many variations to try and fix this issue that I don't know if I'm coming or going anymore. After a while it messes with your mellon & I got it ass about face. sorry
Enid_Triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm

No problem. We all have bad hair days. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion