Fault code problems

Anything Triton related

Fault code problems

Postby mnbrodie on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi I have a 2010 mn triton 2.5td was heading away the other day and then it went to limp mode and threw these codes, I don't have any chips just a throttle controler, had a obd2 scan tool plugged in and everything was running normal, I cleared the codes and continued on my way, no problems till today and the same codes came up. Anyone else had the same problems? It can't be nothing major because the car is driving fine

Fault codes

u1073 bus off

u1102 ecu time out

U1120 ?

Thanks
mnbrodie

Re: Fault code problems

Postby coughy on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 pm

remove the throttle controller and it will go away i have heard and seen this happen a lot of times
just try it for a few days with out the pedal box and the obd2 scan tool plugged in
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm

I have had issues with the obd port as well causing limp modes - I tried using a double adapter for the obd port but that caused more issues with the ECU.

Now I am only running the single obd scanner and have only had 1 limp mode for the first time in 2 months at least albeit at the worst time doing a dollar twenty five towing 2T and planning on overtaking :p

I am going to get a better quality obd port installed asap
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

OK thanks I'll remove the throttle controller and see what happens
mnbrodie

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Could be that the throttle box outputs a signal outside of what the ecu can expect and then treats it as a fault.

Has the throttle controller got tunable settings?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Yeah it has a few different modes that I can turn up and down, its just a kings one
mnbrodie

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:31 pm

So, I'd try running without a couple of days to prove no other issues, then if your running a high setting, back off to half of it and see what happens.

May also be a faulty unit.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Yeah I'm head for about a hour drive tomorrow I will unplug it and see what happens
mnbrodie

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 pm

Always got to leave a trail of 'bread crumbs'.. :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 pm

So I've had no problems since this happened, so I planned to go camping tonight but it all happend again but with code p1901 so I turned around and came home just to be safe (was a heart breaking call) anyone know much about that code?

Thanks
mnbrodie

Postby mnbrodie on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 pm

OK just googled my problems and came across a pajero website and they have had the same codes as me because they have been using torque pro like me but there's a setting that is auto that needs yo be changed to something else I followed there steps so hopefully that's it
mnbrodie

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:31 pm

So looking at a couple of other appearances of this fault code, it seems to indicate a problem with communication between the ecu and transmission controller.

At its simplest it might simply be a dodgy connector. I'd disconnect the battery and locate the connector at the tranny ecu, clean it with some electrical contact cleaner and reseat it a couple of times, reconnect and give it a test.

You could then try the engine ecu.

Just make sure battery has been disconnected for a few minutes (I would suggest 10mins) before unplugging bits. Take the usual care with any multi pin connectors.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:47 pm

OK I will get some cleaner where would I for and the tranny ecu?
mnbrodie

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 pm

I think its in the console area. You'd have to check out the online manual. Try the search area above.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 pm

remove the obd2 plugs all will be good
you chasing a fantom issue
return car to stock and try again
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 am

Engine light on?

It’s possible that you don’t have the option that the ecu is looking for
Common with some scan gauges

I get time out using a mut, it looks for a sunroof in my NS that I don’t have for example
Stoneman

Postby mnbrodie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Yeah the engine light will come on when it happens and traction control lights
mnbrodie

Postby mnbrodie on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:29 pm

So I haven't had any problems for a few weeks, the the weekend I hook up a trailer and done a few tip loads and the same faults popped up again, so it only happening when I'm towing for a while
mnbrodie

Postby mnbrodie on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 pm

And scan tool wasn't in
mnbrodie

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

So, by reading this do I understand that having the scan tool in the OBD2 port can cause this issue/error code?
I just got
U1073,
U1100 and
U1120 all at the same time today.
First it was ASC off light + Stability control [car doing burnouts light], plus engine in limp mode [nothing over 2500rpm]
After I stopped and tried to clear the codes, I had engine light on [the others off], but it feels like the transmission is constantly slipping, like the torque converter is not locking up at all. It's 40 degrees out there so I'm not going to try and find issues in the CAN bus system, but might try to unplug the scan tool and reset by disconnecting the battery.
Anybody know if this can be done or does it need the MUT tool to delete the codes?
I hope the wiring harness hasn't melted, as I've had the scanner in to read the trans temperature, which has been hovering around 100+ degrees for the last couple of days plus the few 115+ limp modes when off-roading.
Seriously, this is getting beyond a joke, when a 4x4 can't handle Aussie summers.....on the tar! :?

Quick UPDATE - Unplugged the scan tool, re-read the codes, cleared them and all is well. I haven't been for a drive though, on second beer already since getting home :lol: . Will let you know if the issue arises again. Maybe there is something in the thought that a scan tool plugged in for extended periods can affect the communications.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby joomin90 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 pm

mnbrodie wrote:So I haven't had any problems for a few weeks, the the weekend I hook up a trailer and done a few tip loads and the same faults popped up again, so it only happening when I'm towing for a while

Hey mate,
I’ve had similar issues this week. Multiples U codes, U1120 U1437 U1430 U1004 U1109 U1105 U1100 U1073. Car went to limp mode, engine light on with traction control light on and ASC. Funny enough, there no codes reading on the scan gauge. It’s only when I took it to my local mechanic where he plugged his SNAP ON tool gauge that it registered. He’s unsure about the problem and I’ve just scratching my head wondering what it could be. It seems to only happen on the highway going over 100km/hr.

Did you find out what the issue was for you??

Cheers
John
joomin90

Postby mnbrodie on Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:20 pm

joomin90 wrote:
mnbrodie wrote:So I haven't had any problems for a few weeks, the the weekend I hook up a trailer and done a few tip loads and the same faults popped up again, so it only happening when I'm towing for a while

Hey mate,
I’ve had similar issues this week. Multiples U codes, U1120 U1437 U1430 U1004 U1109 U1105 U1100 U1073. Car went to limp mode, engine light on with traction control light on and ASC. Funny enough, there no codes reading on the scan gauge. It’s only when I took it to my local mechanic where he plugged his SNAP ON tool gauge that it registered. He’s unsure about the problem and I’ve just scratching my head wondering what it could be. It seems to only happen on the highway going over 100km/hr.

Did you find out what the issue was for you??

Cheers
John

Hey john not long after this i blew my engine had my turbo push the oil in reverse and hydro locked my engine. So I never looked into it. Sorry I can’t be much help
mnbrodie

Return to General Discussion