mn 2.5 diesel timing belt replacement procedure

Anything Triton related

mn 2.5 diesel timing belt replacement procedure

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:51 am

Hi am looking at replacing the timing belt on my 2011 2.5 MN myself , just wondering if anyone has posted the way to go about doing it ..... tried search but no joy. Dont have workshop manual and thought someone may have posted up a how to ? cheers
artrix

Re: mn 2.5 diesel timing belt replacement proceedure

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 am

artrix wrote:Hi am looking at replacing the timing belt on my 2011 2.5 MN myself , just wondering if anyone has posted the way to go about doing it ..... tried search but no joy. Dont have workshop manual and thought someone may have posted up a how to ? cheers

They aren't that hard to do. You can even access everything without removing the radiator. Take off the fan shroud, auxiliary belts, and the fan and it's easy access. Put the vehicle on ramps or stands, as you need to work from top and bottom, and the extra bit of room under the ute makes it more comfy. Take pictures of the setup BEFORE removing the belts and tensioner.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 am

Do the balance shaft belts sit in front or behind the main timing belt?

A clever technique I saw for changing timing belts was to cut along the belt, to drop off the front 1/2 to 2/3, using the remaining section to keep all the cogs in place while fitting the new belt. Once the new one is on the cogs, chop off the remaining old belt and slide the new one on the rest of the way.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:02 am

RHKTriton wrote:Do the balance shaft belts sit in front or behind the main timing belt?

A clever technique I saw for changing timing belts was to cut along the belt, to drop off the front 1/2 to 2/3, using the remaining section to keep all the cogs in place while fitting the new belt. Once the new one is on the cogs, chop off the remaining old belt and slide the new one on the rest of the way.

I have heard of doing that but Isuspect you need access for the blade, do you know if this can be done with the 2.5 triton?
artrix

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 am

BillMcQuade wrote:
artrix wrote:Hi am looking at replacing the timing belt on my 2011 2.5 MN myself , just wondering if anyone has posted the way to go about doing it ..... tried search but no joy. Dont have workshop manual and thought someone may have posted up a how to ? cheers

They aren't that hard to do. You can even access everything without removing the radiator. Take off the fan shroud, auxiliary belts, and the fan and it's easy access. Put the vehicle on ramps or stands, as you need to work from top and bottom, and the extra bit of room under the ute makes it more comfy. Take pictures of the setup BEFORE removing the belts and tensioner.

Thanks for your reply Bill I appreciate your opinion, I am pretty handy but when doing something for the first time I would
love to have some detailed information regards the procedure. Have looked online for a workshop manual but have so far been unable to sort one out. cheers mate
artrix

Postby coughy on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Cheers mate your a bloody champion
artrix

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:18 am

artrix wrote: I would
love to have some detailed information regards the procedure. Have looked online for a workshop manual but have so far been unable to sort one out. cheers mate

No that Coughy has coughed up the manual, this clip may also help you to visualise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nbZ53kSGYg
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Cheers Bill Thanks
artrix

2.5 4d56 diesel crank pulley removal ques

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:33 am

Hi guys have decided to change timing belt myself after getting some good advice from forum members have got to the point of removing the crankshaft pulley so I can get to the timing belt but have hit a snag. Any advice on removing pulley? I have the bolt out bit I cant fit any bearing pullers I have because of the closeness of the aircon rad. Tried tapping with small hammer but it wont budge.....any advice ? Im stuck until its off. cheers
artrix

Re: 2.5 4d56 diesel crank pulley removal ques

Postby aids84 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:17 pm

They are a slip on fit. I usually pull the bolt out, soak it in WD40 and then try and wiggle it free, a prybar behind it may help to get it moving. It's a good idea to thread the bolt in a few turns before removing just in case it suddenly comes free, this will stop it smashing into your radiator.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 pm

[quote="aids84"]They are a slip on fit. I usually pull the bolt out, soak it in WD40 and then try and wiggle it free, a prybar behind it may help to get it moving. It's a good idea to thread the bolt in a few turns before removing just in case it suddenly comes free, this will stop it smashing into your radiator.[/quot

Yeah tried wd40 .... tapped it and still no joy , it seems mine likes being on the crankshaft.....thanks for your reply mate cheers
artrix

Postby aids84 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Yeah they can get pretty seized on there. There are some threads tapped in the pulley if you have to resort to using a puller.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:05 pm

finally off what a drama ...
artrix

Another possibly dumb timing belt question

Postby artrix on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi all recently got some good info regards doing the timing belt on my 2011 mn 2.5 and so I decided to bite the bullet sunday and do it. All went pretty well apart from a pulley that did not want to come off but between watching f1 on sunday and family and work commitments I got both belts off and have fitted the new balance belt this afternoon. I am ready to fit main timing belt but have a as said in the title a possibly dumb question. ...... when fitting the balance belt I had to rotate the crank a number of times to get everything to line up and now I am wondering about lining up timing marks for fitment of the main timing belt...Is getting crank mark lined up all you need to do or do you have to have it at tdc on compression stroke? If so how do you know its an compression stroke? I suddenly thought eye eye you outsmarted yourself mate. Could anyone shed some light before I just line up crank mark with everything else and fit the belt. I would hate to have it all together and have it not be timed correctly. If a truely dumb question please be kind and keep insults to a bare minimum lol ...figured best to learn how to do these things rather that just rely on a mechanic....cheers
artrix

Another possibly dumb timing belt question

Postby artrix on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi all after getting some good tips and directions from a couple of members I recently decided to bite the bullet and replace my 2.5 MN timing belt myself. Thought about time I started to do things myself so off I went. Had a minor issue with a pulley that didnt want to come off but after that was sorted I was feeling confident. Started sunday and between watching f1 and family stuff and work commitments I found myself this afternoon putting it all together. Here is the dumb question ... After fitting the balance belt I realized I had rotated the crank a number of times to get everything lined up re marks ...after sorting the balance belt out on to the timing belt itself....here is where I have a bit of doubt. I am wondering that after rotating the crank for the balance belt fitting I have lost sight of TDC on compression stroke .....is this critical? or can I just rotate crankshaft till timing mark lines up then do same with pump sprocket marks and cam sprocket marks etc and go ahead and fit the belt... I would hate to have it together to only find that the timing is out and she wont start.
I am wondering if even when the timing marks line up I may still be out of time??? If so how would I find out when I am at tdc on compression stroke. As said this could be a really dumb question so if I come across as a bit of a pumpkin head dont be tooo harsh lol. Never done something like this before and have some doubts. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved . cheers
artrix

Re: Another possibly dumb timing belt question

Postby coughy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:07 pm

sounds like you need to pull the tappet cover to see where the head timing is at then the pump timing needs to be lined up when i did mine it needs to be preloaded to get it to line up with the marks

the balance shaft belts need to be lined up then temp put the pulley on the crank to get your tdc mark on the crank

you need to look here m8
look at 11d engine then timing belt section
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/pajero_ ... dex_M1.htm
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 pm

Cheers coughy I see what you mean regards the balance belts being lined up , they are as well as I know. The three timing marks the crankshaft and the two balancers are set and after turning crank the marks again line up so I am pretty sure the balance belt is done correctly. I have looked at the 11d section and it seems to me that as long as crankshaft mark is aligned with the timing mark on the case I can just set the pump at the correct position followed by the camshaft timing mark you can fit the belt? I just have a doubt as to whether the number 1 piston is on the compression stroke. I come from a motorcycle background and have a reasonable mechanical abilty but I must admit to being a bit unsure. I guess as long as after i fit the belt i can rotate the engine by a socket without any issues I should at least do no damage if it is out. cheers
artrix

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm

I've got go through this sooner than later with the son's mn (wish he'd found a ml ) :lol:

Basically, the no1 piston is locked to the TDC mark, so mark set and piston has to be at the top.

All the various shafts can only be somewhere in the 360° of rotation, so turning them once, twice, etc can't change this.

So if each timing mark is lined up in the correct position at the same time, then all should be timed correctly.

Just turn over the crank by hand when everything is fitted to confirm nothing binds before attempting to start the engine.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby artrix on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 pm

RHKTriton wrote:I've got go through this sooner than later with the son's mn (wish he'd found a ml ) :lol:

Basically, the no1 piston is locked to the TDC mark, so mark set and piston has to be at the top.

All the various shafts can only be somewhere in the 360° of rotation, so turning them once, twice, etc can't change this.

So if each timing mark is lined up in the correct position at the same time, then all should be timed correctly.

Just turn over the crank by hand when everything is fitted to confirm nothing binds before attempting to start the engine.

Cheers mate thats the conclusion I came to as well.......first time is a slow walk but I think next time it would be pretty easy ...thanks for your input god luck when you do your sons
artrix

Re: mn 2.5 diesel timing belt replacement procedure

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 pm

Threads merged....again.

Artrix, please stop creating new threads on what is essentially the same topic.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:24 pm

5th the Anti Moses! :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fishsticks on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi, doing my timing belt and noticed the crank pulley timing mark is out by two teeth. anyone else experienced this? photos are in the link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

here is the link to the photos I took of the timing marks in regards to my last question
cheers
Fishsticks

Postby Fishsticks on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 am

this ended up being the cause to another issue i had with a noisey to end :lol: problem fixed :geek: :ugeek:
Fishsticks

Postby Stuart77 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:54 am

G'day all,

How difficult would everyone rate this job to be? I have a 2015 MN 2.5 and pretty good mechanical skills (although mostly self taught via books & youtube clips!) and am tossing up between doing it myself or very reluctantly parting with $1000 - $1500 for a mechanic to do it.

What're your thoughts?

Cheers
Stuart77

Next

Return to General Discussion