Help! Whirring noise from engine bay

Anything Triton related

Help! Whirring noise from engine bay

Postby Ausgamer on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi guys,
I've been having an on and off issue with my beloved triton. Lately its decided to vibrate and start making this whirring sound during idle. I have a couple of suspects - pulleys & belts, clutch and or possibly engine mounts. My triton is a 2011 manual 2.5TD. Since l bought the triton, we have had problems with the local stealer replacing the clutch under warranty (we are out of warranty now). I have a new outback xtreme clutch to be put in.

I currently have 140,000 kms and understand that it's due for some parts need replacing. I have replaced the rear trans mount as l thought the excessive wobble from the gear stick was caused by that. While it helped, it didnt clear it up fully. I'm hoping someone can aid in some advice before l go buying a full pulley and belt kit.

Please note that l had just washed the car so there was a little bit of water near the fan

https://youtu.be/7GUpvuiFD1s
https://youtu.be/_RFSyQZEfLg
Ausgamer

Re: Help! Whirring noise from engine bay

Postby mq3175 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 am

Remove your drive belts and run the engine. If noise goes away one of the pulleys or bearings in pulleys are no good. If still the same check the balancer. Don't run engine too long without the belts.
mq3175

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:46 am

Have you played in muddy water?

Dirt getting into your alternator won't end well in the long run.

Do the belt-less test suggested above but also turn all the bits by hand and feel for any 'roughness' which should show up a worn bearing or grit in the alternator.

140k could mean OEM HB is on the way out.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ausgamer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Heya guys! No belt test yet. I've had it in to work and had them pop in the clutch at the same time. The noise has nearly stopped. The tech changed out the centre bearing, checked the front end out. Suspects it could be a dirty injector so I've gotta keep in eye put but am thinking it would be worth while putting some fresh new belts on it as 7 years with the same belts might be a little tired
Ausgamer

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm

From watching and Listening to the top video, I wouldn't rule out the water pump bearing, as said pop your fan belt off and rule out each pulley, inc Alt and Water pump, with the water pump try rocking the fan if any lateral movement bearing is shot
WUNSIE

Return to General Discussion