Rear Shock absorbers

Anything Triton related

Rear Shock absorbers

Postby Enid_Triton on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Tried to get some inexpensive big bore shocks for the rear of my mn Triton.
I tried three different brands that listed their product would fit the mn.
All three had dust covers fitted (one was a plastic cover & the other two had metal covers)that were way too large in diameter and crushed up against the chassis.
Then I went for a more expensive brand & they were exactly the same.
So I had to go back to a standard shockie.
Whats the story with these shockie manufacturers?
Don't these companies bother to do a check for fitment anymore and think that just because their product will fit a Navara or Hilux etc that they will fit a Triton too.
Or is there something else i should be replacing to get these shock absorbers to fit? I asked the shop guys but they didn't know. I think that I may know more about parts then they do.
Enid_Triton

Re: Rear Shock absorbers

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm

That's interesting. I changed the rear shock absorbers a couple of times on my ML and don't recall any issues with the shock absorber hitting the chassis rail.

A forum search for "rear shock absorber hits chassis" turned up zero hits and it's not something that I recall having read.

My guess is that someone is recommending the wrong shock absorbers for your vehicle or they're being fitted incorrectly.

Have a read through the suspension section and talk to one of the suppliers that most owners have chosen.

Remember that size isn't everything. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Enid_Triton on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes, well something is going on.
I doubled checked the part numbers for the Ultima big bore 4x4 Shocks on their website & it says they are a direct replacement for the mn Triton. But they cannot be because It is obvious that they are not the correct shock absorber.
No matter what their part numbers say,there is just no way that they will fit on my mn.
I couldn't remember the other 3 shockie part numbers but they were exactly the same size as the Ultimas.
This is the part that gets in the way and its' even longer on the drivers side rear:
Click to view larger picture
Enid_Triton

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:30 am

I got a set of Gabriel's for my ml as the first replacements for the originals and they fitted fine.

Both sets of shocks for my ml and mn that came with the lift kits from Ultimate, fitted without any issues.

Is there a possibility that a spacer is required on the top mount Enid?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Enid_Triton on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Had it at Fulcrum Suspension today getting a rear sway bar fitted & was told that they are all like that.
You could use a spacer but you would have to put them on the bottom mounts as well to keep the shocks even.
Was also told today that it was not a good idea because only part of the rubber bush in the shock will actually make contact with the mounting bolt.
Best to pay more money and get shocks that are made to fit.
But I guess you could machine up a few high tensile bars the same size as the mounting bolts then cut a thread on the inside & cut the same size thread on the outside end of them (I would call them extensions). Then you could screw them over the mounts & bolt the shocks to them. If they were strong enough & worked OK U could make them permanent quite easily.
Enid_Triton

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 am

I remember, the after marker shocks I've fitted actually have a small metal bush to ensure the rubbers are fully supported.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion