New turbo required

Anything Triton related

Re: New turbo required

Postby ozguy7 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:00 pm

Tks WUNSIE

I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense. The symptoms I asked then to look at is excessive black smoke when accelerating from stop. The turbo boosts up to 18psi fine, doesn't make any funny noises etc. It seems to spool quickly and easily. Their opinion was to replace it then have a closer look at the old one to diagnose the issue.
ozguy7

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:09 am

Did they actually show you the spot with the filings?

Taking into account of what activities have been exposed over the last 40yrs, you certainly want a substantial second opinion before handing over any cash.

If there are 'filings' could these originated from something else they [censored] up and are trying to recoup some dough?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 am

RHKTriton wrote:Did they actually show you the spot with the filings?

Taking into account of what activities have been exposed over the last 40yrs, you certainly want a substantial second opinion before handing over any cash.

If there are 'filings' could these originated from something else they [censored] up and are trying to recoup some dough?

That's a big nope. I asked what the issue was and they just said they don't know until it's replaced and the original inspected. I would have thought any turbo issues would present themselves in other ways, but it seems to work fine.

I might take the dump pipe off and have a look myself and see. It's been two weeks so something might have accumulated if there is an issue.

More I do from Mitsi
It looks an internal failure of the turbo.

There Is no way of really knowing why, we found excessive oil and metallic fragments in the down pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.

This seems to be a result of an internal failure which has then caused further damage to the turbo.

So it's the 'down pipe' not dump pipe. Maybe that makes more sense.
ozguy7

Postby ozguy7 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Two pics. Both the output from the turbo and where it goes into the intercooler pipe. There's a fair amount of build up.

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
ozguy7

Previous

Return to General Discussion