WTC's overheating MN problem

Anything Triton related

Re: WTC's overheating MN problem

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:56 pm

thump60 wrote:My old mans 2012 triton had a warranty job done (short motor) and after he had overheating problems according to the instrument gauge. so i took it to local mitsi agent and they fixed it easy as. When dad drove ute he diddn't seem to have any probs but when i drove it with the headlights on it pushed temp gauge to the red zone (80kph 30deg day). Seems the problem is when a roobar is fitted to the tritons they need to shift a earth point because of the roo bar, so got the earth point reconnected in a different spot and hey presto no more problems. The mitsi mechanic new his shit

I just did a search and found similar threads about this electrical gremlin. I wonder if there is a bad earth causing the engine's electrics to send wrong info to injectors, sensors etc. ? I seriously considered this possibility on the weekend as while highway cruising, the car had no grunt up hills. Where I'd normally pull top gear doing 110km/h, it dropped to 4th and revved out doing only 95. Another factor is the noise. It sounds like the motor is pinging like a petrol with the ignition timing out. Something isn't right and it ain't just the cooling system.
Speaking of which, it began leaking again, hot and cold. Going up the Hume Highway on a 41 degree afternoon, doing 100 up hills, it got to 104 degrees. As soon as I backed off on the throttle, it cooled back to 90 quite quickly. Only under load will it get hot. I got some liquid metal epoxy into the suspect radiator channel and used multigrips to squeeze the plastic tank's metal "fingers" a bit tighter in case they'd been stretched out due to extreme pressure. So far no issues since the repair.
Now, to find a bad earth....
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Now it's the transmission

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 am

Well, after repairing the radiator pin-hole leak and installing an electric thermo fan, I couldn't get overheating issues to happen. Probably because it's only 20 degrees instead of 40. However.....
Only half an hour into my drive yesterday, doing about 60km/h up an average hill, not a steep one but loose gravel road, the trans went into melt-down, go tot 101 degrees and stuck in 2nd gear. Engine was sitting pretty on 90. I took it out of 4x4, put in neytral and reset it. Then later the same day, when air temps were about 30, up another similarly long but not overwhelmingly steep hill, I was doing 3200 rpm up a hill doing 80km/h and it got stuck in 3rd, obviously overheated again.
"That's it!" I said, as soon as I get home, I'm moving the trans cooler.
Well, I was going to show pics but a certain Drop- image sharing provider won't let me share anymore without coughing up $$$ so the pics aren't coming.
In short, I used the existing bottom brackets to attach the cooler down lower, with a couple of brackets to attache the cooler mounts. It now sits right behind the bottom of bash plate with slots cut into the bash plate to provide air flow. Hopefully I don't hit a tree stump or something dumb. I'll let you know if it fixed the cooling problem once I've done some hill climbing.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Maybe the earthing issue could be causing some of your transmission issues, eg lock up clutch not engaging, etc.

An electrical issue could also relate to the radiator leak where stray currents could be eroding the core.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby thebaton on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:15 pm

FYI I'm going to mount my transcooler below the tray with a fan and reroute the oil lines so it doesn't run through the radiator which I believe is the cause of my engine overheating issue.
Hopefully the spare wheel will shield it from rocks.
thebaton

Postby abaser666 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:19 pm

I wish there was a conclusion to wildturkeyconoe's adventures, sounds a lot like what i'm dealing with right now
abaser666

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:10 am

Correct transmission fluid?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion