Overheat

Anything Triton related

Overheat

Postby kelvin01au on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Well we didn't make it through half of our planned Easter Anzac trip.400 klm in and temps went front 92 upto 110 in about 2 klm. Our 2013 only has 67,000 klm on it. Been back for the recall at 30,000.after a cool down it only took 500 ml of water. There was a large amount of pressure in the radiator when removing the cap. Had the caravan on the back and has only just made the bottom of Cunningham gap. Any advise on first dealer contact? I would expect the engine to last more that 67,000 klm.kel
kelvin01au

Re: Overheat

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:40 am

did you get a limp mode or anything?

those temps are not too high climbing the gap- I would see 115-125 over the range towing, but they would drop by the time I hit the servo
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby kelvin01au on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 am

No .no limp home. I have a heads up display that shows engine temp. I stopped before it got that hot. When I stopped the overflow bottle was bubbling away. After cooling it only took a small top up and we got the caravan home.after parking the van in the shed the overflow was still bubbling. 2 hours later I removed the radiator cap and it still had lots of pressure in it and only 500 ml low again. Drove it last night with no van and temps are back to normal.last Thursday we towed the van up the gap to Stanthorpe and temps only got to 95
kelvin01au

Postby stefanos on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Head gasket start!!!!
stefanos

Postby kelvin01au on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Well,it is dropped off to Barron's at Wynnum,service advisor asked all the right questions and said he was aware off the head gasket problems. I have left it with them for a week to diagnose. On the trip from Munruben to bartons exhaust temps wher 30-40 deg higher than normal nd used a lot of fuel.never had that problem before.
kelvin01au

Postby kelvin01au on Sun May 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Well after 3 weeks Mitsubishi have finally agreed to replace the engine. Sadly I have a prepaid mx event early June and no triton to tow the caravan and the bike in the tray. I used my sons 2010 Holden Colorado this weekend with our Sunseeker 19.6 to go to kenelworth. Was a slow trip. I want my triton back.
kelvin01au

Postby m sciffer on Mon May 20, 2019 4:18 pm

hi there
I have been reading some of the posts and are amused with the temps that some utes are obtaining . if you think that going over the 100 to 125 c is normal,what about the engine oil at these temps to keep working at it level to lub . I tow a caravan weighing two ton and a boat on top of the car and every other thing to go free camping. from grafton to copton dam and going up the gwyder hwy my temps go to 85 to 88 , on the scan guage and I have had ecu upgrade and a 3 inch system and have a exhaust temp guage,which go to 450c. before I was getting the 100c plus towing up the same hill before changing things around .and from service to service my ute dosn't use any water at all, touch wood .
I see that obtainig these temps all the time will cut down on the moden engine life being highly stressed as they are putting out high hp and adding these high temps would not help .
I spent a day changing the thermo stat and removing the plastic scroud and cutting and leaving the top part to protect the hands , next tried a new radiator two core all alum and changed back to the orignal which cools better , removed relocate the number plate , and than made air scoops on both sides down the bottom of the radiator picking up more air to the bottom of it , than put a air scoop on the bonet facing backwards allowing the hot air to be pushed out while traveling at speed .and this and this fixed my temps .I hope this help
m sciffer

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Actually your rearward opening scoop sucks air in to the engine bay at speed. At very low speeds a certain amount will flow out but as speed increases a high pressure area, called a stagnation point is created at the base of the windscreen. This is why your cabin air inlets are placed there - so they suck air in, not out. Your scoop does the same thing, to a greater or lesser degree depending on size, shape and placement. The air sucked in to the engine bay escapes out the bottom, assisting in cooling the transmission as it flows by. A well designed setup, similar to, say, an A9X, will draw in to the back of the engine bay and have a significant effect on removal of heat.

Of course, increasing the amount of air under the car does all kinds of strange things to aerodynamics and, at a high enough speed will actually contribute to a reduction in traction. Oh? Your Triton doesn't do 300km/h? No MNs do so it isn't such a big problem. However, the addition of a well designed wing will counter any lift and return downforce and therefore improve handling. They actually work from about 80km/h.

The changes at the front sound like they make a significant contribution. Well done on that.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion