Harmonic balancer shot

Anything Triton related

Harmonic balancer shot

Postby yakfishdave on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi all, the harmonic balancer has self destructed on my 2011 MN, 130k on the clock, it's at the dealer now and only just started on it this arvo, but they are saying it may have damaged the crankshaft, however, as yet they are unable to remove it, so I'm thinking this is going to be a big bikkies$$$. Has anyone had this happen?, I have asked if this would be covered under the 10 year drivetrain warranty, but they are going to ask Mitsubishi.
yakfishdave

Re: Harmonic balancer shot

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 pm

What do you call "self destructed" ?

Is the outer loose on the hub or has it flown apart and pulley portion totally separated?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby yakfishdave on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Maybe exagerrated there. Just spoke to the dealer, the balancer came loose on the crankshaft, whether that was because it came apart or not I don't know, but it has damaged the crankshaft, so will be a major repair, and I'll be without it for some. They have handballed it to Mitsubishi asking if they will do it under warranty, maybe replace the engine. Hopefully Mitsi will come to the party, and soon.
yakfishdave

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:53 am

After having replaced my HB on my ml several years ago, as well as some other vehicles, I think you're well entitled to a warranty claim.

These things are usually a snug fit, with a key and a huge bolt that is cranked down pretty tight.

For yours to have come loose would suggest that its never been torqued up properly from the factory.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby yakfishdave on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Ok, the dealer rang today, and Mitsi have agreed for them to fit a new short motor under warranty, getting the timing belt done at the same time, very happy. Using the wifes Mazda 3 to carry a heap of tools etc. is becoming a pain, but will have to stick it out for another week. Although this is the second major repair, and a few not so major, still think its a pretty good ute, will probably hang onto it a few more years provided it doesn't let me down again.
yakfishdave

Postby kevin on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm

yakfishdave wrote:Has anyone had this happen?

Yes, mine snapped: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22135

Great outcome for you!
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby kallane on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi there. (new member here). Triton 2005 petrol 2.4L two wheel drive. My harmonic balancer died and the pulleys receded backwards abt 1 cm - damaged the plastic timing belt cover. No aftermarket covers available, no second-hand available (they stay with the engines), and new part is about $450. anyone know where I might get a plastic timing belt cover? Thanks, Keith.
kallane

Postby yakfishdave on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Happy to report have finally got the Triton back. New motor, all new belts, new heavy duty clutch plate, serviced, full of tools again and rear suspension still squeaking at the slightest movement. About time to look at suspension upgrade.
yakfishdave

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Great outcome yfd. Try just bending the leaf guides outwards a smidge and see how that goes.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby yakfishdave on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Thanks for the tip RHK T, worth a try
yakfishdave

Return to General Discussion