MY12 Traces of coolant from overflow

Anything Triton related

MY12 Traces of coolant from overflow

Postby mnnic on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am

G'day all!
Had my fully stock MN dual cab manual for a bit over 3 weeks now and has been running great. She's done about 123k km now and I've put 2k of those on. Took her for her first bit of beach work yesterday and pushed it pretty hard through soft sand and dunes for a couple of hours. I'm all too aware of the 4D56 overheating issues so kept a close eye on the factory gauge and it never once deviated from mid way. Overall I'm very happy with how it performed (once I figured out when to turn off the traction control) :)
When pulling up to air the tyres I checked the coolant bottle and noticed a small amount of coolant must have left the overflow, link to photo below.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o9Vr2F3GdzrjwVMZ7
Drove a couple of hundred km home, no missed beats. After leaving it over night the coolant level is exactly where it has been since I picked it up 3 weeks ago (about a 1cm over the full mark).
Maybe I'm just being paranoid in light of the MN issues, but would this ring alarm bells with anyone else? Car has statutory warranty for 2 more months but the factory warranty expired in March. I don't think a few drops of coolant will be enough cause for the used car dealer to look into it.
Cheers,
Nic
mnnic

Re: MY12 Traces of coolant from overflow

Postby norni on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:28 pm

When you first start your car up making sure the coolant is cold open and take of the radiator cap and check out if there are any bubbles coming out. If there is you could possibly have a head issue, take it straight back to the dealer for an inspection and mention that its been pushing coolant out of the overflow.
norni

Postby bigjobs on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:56 pm

I'd be worried, and that's because your photo shows exactly one of the symptoms of the bad block issue.
I've got a bunch of similar ones.

Take it back and search this forum for more details.

Stock temp gauge is next to useless, so don't rely on it to warn you, probably won't move until it's boiling... get something else to monitor temps.

Having said that, you may be lucky though and somebody has just over filled the system and expansion has caused a bit to drop out during your beach drive.
bigjobs

Postby mnnic on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the tip. I ran it for about 2 minutes from cold facing the front uphill a bit and no signs of bubbles. Put the cap back on after that as the coolant was gradually rising.
I have also watched the overflow for a good amount of time while hot after giving it a good run uphill and no bubbles in there either - motor running or not.
I wondered if being overfull to begin with and then violently shaken across corrugates and up/down dunes caused a small amount of coolant to splash out the overflow. Seems possible but might be wishful thinking...
I took it down to a dry dam at the back of my property today with steep sides and bumps. Managed to get another bit of coolant to come out the overflow, but literally two drops. It was barely at running temp and wasn't being thrashed, just shaken around a lot. Inspected the overflow tank and it had drops all around the top of the inside of the tank which makes me think it could have just been sloshing around and working droplets out the spout.
I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now. If I find coolant outside the overflow tank during the daily drive then I'll worry about it some more.
mnnic

Return to General Discussion