Triton inspection

Anything Triton related

Triton inspection

Postby jstoeckli on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 pm

hi everyone my name is Jeremy I was looking to buy an Mn Triton diesel dual cab but have been reading a lot about the overheating issues and cooked engines.

Could anyone point me in the direction of info of what to look for specifically related to this issuewhen inspecting potential vehicles?

Many thanks!

Jeremy
jstoeckli

Re: Triton inspection

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Welcome Jeremy.

There are vast amounts of information here on the issue and we don't want to repeat it all here. You can search for "cooling system service campaign" or use the Forum Directory which has links to important threads.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jstoeckli on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:18 pm

I wasnt asking for anyone to repeat the information, i was asking for directions to information regarding a vehicle inspection looking for specific symptoms of this problem. I didnt know how to search for this info. “Overheating triton inspection guide”??
jstoeckli

Postby aids84 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm

For a quick checkover I would first have a good look around the coolant overflow bottle on the drivers side of the engine bay. When these overheat they tend to push coolant out of the radiator into the overflow causing it to spill over. Any coolant residue around the bottle would be a big red flag (bear in mind it may have been cleaned so you will need to have a thorough look)

I would also be having a look at the radiator cap, if it's had the cooling system campaign done it should have a 127 kpa cap on it. Not that this is any guarantee that the failure will not occur in the future.

If you are able to road test it give it a nice hard drive and check the level of coolant in the overflow as soon as you finish the road test. It shouldn't go up by more than a centimetre or so. Any big change in the level would indicate that the cooling system is over pressurising.

Good luck.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jstoeckli on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Thank you so much, great info!
jstoeckli

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:51 pm

jstoeckli wrote: i was asking for directions to information regarding a vehicle inspection looking for specific symptoms of this problem.

Which I gave you....
NowForThe5th wrote: You can search for "cooling system service campaign" or use the Forum Directory which has links to important threads.

The thread...
https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17446

jstoeckli wrote:I didnt know how to search for this info.

https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7737

and...
https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=overheating+symptoms&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I've moved this thread to the Fourth Generation section since it does not apply to Fifth Generation.

Please continue discussion in an appropriate, existing thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion