When to change ProVent internal filter

Anything Triton related

When to change ProVent internal filter

Postby Glock40sw on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:36 pm

G'day All. Ftted a Provent 200 catchcan to my 2112 MN 12 months ago. Have drianed t twice in that time, Each time, only got around 6ml of oil out of the drain. Looked today at the internal filter and it is fully black with oil.
My question is: how often should the internal filter be changed?
Thanks.
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton

Mmmm... Tupperware.... Love Tuperware...
Glock40sw

Re: When to change ProVent internal filter

Postby jrs184 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 pm

just clean it every two weeks, you can use the K & N filter cleaner or soak it in diesel or kero then rinse it in diesel until clean then dry it with clean rag or paper towel, i use to wrap mine in paper towel overnight every fortnight and it would suck all the oil out of it, i never had to replace it kept it clean and 70 thousand later still clean..
jrs184

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Out of curiosity, how many km have you done in that time? I bought my 2018 MQ new 12 months ago, and fitted a ProVent 200 before it hit 1000km. In that time, I've driven 31,000km, and drained about 600ml of oil from it. I need to drain it roughly every 5000km.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby Glock40sw on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info. In the last 12 months, I have only traveled 45,000klms.
I'll try the K&N filter cleaner.
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton

Mmmm... Tupperware.... Love Tuperware...
Glock40sw

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Even though its black, the porosity of the filter median remains serviceable.

I was always under the assumption,Wash it and even though it looks nice and clean and pretty, its stuffed you've just ruined it, they are NOT meant to be cleaned/ washed, alot of people might think otherwise because what was once oily & black, suddenly looks new again!
Depending on how much blowby your engine produces determines the longevity of the filter.

But reading through the United Fuel it can be cleaned using a hydrocarbon-based cleaner

https://www.unitedfuel.com.au/fuel-inje ... -catch-can

https://costeffective.com.au/2019/02/14 ... he-filter/
WUNSIE

Postby jrs184 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 pm

It depends on where you mount the provent as well. If you mount it next to the turbo, the hottest part of the engine bay, then it is unlikely to work as well as putiing on the other side with longer runs of pipe. If it stays hot the vapour won't condense just get cycled thru' the provent and on to the intercooler to do the condensing. The aim is not only to get the oil vapour to condense but also the water condensate as well to stop that getting into the engine..I ran nice long pipes to the otherside of the bay near my two fuel filters to give it the best chance of working and condensing the vapours before going to the intercooler where the condensate will reduce the efficiency of the intercooler...
jrs184

Postby harmigera on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm

My understanding of the Provent filter is that it's a coalescing filter. A coalescing filter forces small oil droplets that are buoyant in the oil vapor from the engine blowby to crash into other droplets and coalesce into larger drops on the filter and eventually become so heavy it drips down the filter and into the collection tube. It really shouldn't matter if the oil vapor is hot or cold, it will still coalesce on the filter.
As Wunsie stated, you want the filter black and wet with oil, that is normal. It took me about 3000km before I started collecting any oil, now it's a steady stream.
As when to replace filter, when there is oil residue appearing on the outside of the filter housing, that's an indication the filter is blocked and vapor being released through the pressure valve.
harmigera

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:16 pm

You got it in one champ
WUNSIE

Postby Pinchers on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:22 am

Just took a look at mine, found a lot of emulsified oil in it plus a load of clear water at the bottom that I drained off. Had a quick read up on it and its supposed to be the moisture in the air causing the emulsified oil :?

Hoses and joiners all look blocked with the emulsified, still need to clean it all out. No signs of the emulsified oil in the engine oil cap or bubbles in the coolant.

Click to view larger picture
Pinchers

Postby srb on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Wow I've never seen so much water in a catch can before. Do you do a lot of really short trips? Did you forget to close the drain tap at the bottom while driving around in the rain?
Gawwd I hate catch cans!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Geez, :shock: what does the hose or better still, the outlet in the rocker cover look like when you remove the hose and have a squiz inside, that's a lot of water to be blowing to cause that
WUNSIE

Postby Pinchers on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:29 am

I do loads of short trips now you say it :shock: I did check in the rocker cover outlet and all seemed ok at the hose tail, hoses were all block but cleaned out now. I will be checking it weekly now to see whats going on.
Pinchers

Return to General Discussion