Cruise control self cancels while towing

Anything Triton related

Cruise control self cancels while towing

Postby Bennyd04_87 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi guys, as the subject line says, today the triton self cancelled cruise control while towing. Both times were while going uphill. Car didn't seem to need to knock back a gear and I was approaching the crest both times. Sitting on 100/110 kph in 5th gear. Car details are 2010 mn triton glxr dual cab 2.5d 5 speed manual. Reasonably stock besides canopy and drawers etc which I wouldn't think would make a difference. Towing a camper trailer around 800-1000kg.
Any ideas? Is it a feature built in to it? Could there be a problem? No codes were thrown. Cheers
Bennyd04_87

Re: Cruise control self cancels while towing

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:21 am

Probably need a bit more information but similar problems have been reported before.

Have a look in this thread and also this one.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:40 am

When playing with the boost on my ml, over lost would kick out the cruise.

I'd say you've reached some threshold parameter and the ecu is just protecting the driveline.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bennyd04_87 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I did try a search but couldnt find anything directly related. Both times it happened I was going up hill. I didn't take note of the speed drop as it happened unexpectedly but it may have been that. Thrown no codes. Reset cruise as soon as I cleared the hill and worked fine. Never had it happen before but never really used cruise on it while towing like this. Guess I'll just live with it for now. Cheers
Bennyd04_87

Postby Mayhem2015 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:19 pm

I would say it is a load setting built in somewhere. My 2012 MN does it as well but when it happens I really don't blame it. Same scenario as you. Towing up hill with my camper trailer. I probably had cruise set to 100 in 5th (manual) and the car will drop down to about 85 then cruise kicks off.

Because I know it will happen now, I just drop into 4th and give it some berries. Resume cruise control over the hill.

I imagine Auto's would have extra protection engineered in to avoid overheating.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Return to General Discussion