2009 MN 2.5l TD glxr engine overheat

Anything Triton related

2009 MN 2.5l TD glxr engine overheat

Postby Benny794 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi new to this forum so go easy.. just purchased myself a second hand 2.5l 09 MN triton hearing they are a good thing not until I had already purchased I stared reading about this overhearing issue and engines needing to be replaced I have seen a few forums saying that it's from 2010-2014 models that had the defect but also seeing that their were models in lower years that are affected so I'm sort of stuck in the middle especially with being second hand vehicle and having no warrenty to fall back on just wondering being an 09 I should be worried about this it seems to run fine and preform well at the moment but constantly watching my temp gauge
Benny794

Re: 2009 MN 2.5l TD glxr engine overheat

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 pm

Welcome to the club.

My son had an 09, bought pre-owned with about 170k on the clock.

He had it for a couple of years without any issues. Only major thing we did to it was a set of new timing belts and associated bits.

How many Kms on yours?

My suggestion with any pre-owned vehicle is to do a complete fluids and filters change to set a starting point for your service regime. Don't believe the seller.

Our MN supposedly had an oil change by the dealer before we picked it up. The engine oil was black.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Benny794 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 am

Yeah this one I have was privately owned I purchased for 15k it has all service history only done 150xxxks it's just if it is in the line of fire with this engine defect I debate on wether to sell while it's still running mint saves me the drama and the financial hit
Benny794

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:56 am

Is there evidence that the heat stress test have been done?

Higher pressure radiator cap and possibly a sticker at the driver's door opening.

Pre-owned vehicles are always a gamble to a degree. I had a top line vs Caravel, where previous owners hadn't kept up the proper coolant concentration and an engine stud failed (wet sleeve). The a needle bearing in the gearbox failed and destroyed the box.

New or old, if you flog it you'll prematurely break it. Look after it and you'll likely get high kms.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion