ML cutting out - No code

Anything Triton related

ML cutting out - No code

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Having an intermittent issue whereby the ML 3.2L has little mumours in power, and as i take foot off pedal, motor cuts out dead. Re-start it and off i go again. Not often, but once every few drives this happens. No error codes given or dash light.
I also think there's an ever so slight dragging feel in the driving as opposed to coasting along.

Battery Terminals was my first thought and they were pretty feral, so gave all connections a good clean up. Seem good, then a few weeks later cuts out again.. So this time i replaced the Terminals and replaced the Battery Neg cable to body and cleaned up those connections at the earth point. I should also mention Battery is near new and SCV replaced this year. So next i test the Alternator's charging and that all within limits and battery voltage is healthy.

Im now a little stumped now what else i should try, given the no error code. Any thoughts
Last edited by Thongsbot3000 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thongsbot3000

Re: ML cutting out - No code

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:23 pm

How is your fuel supply?
Is the filter newish?

i have extended the fuel line a few inches with clear pipe before and ran this outside the bonnet to look for air collecting in lines to fix a similar problem.

Another possibility, especially with the murmours could be a blocked manifold...
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:29 am

Fuel Filter and SCV replaced around March at Mitsu.

Block manifold could be a possibility. Has been 3 years since last done. Around 20k ago i took the Electronic EGR mod out after having issue with it, and installed a catch can 10K ago. Im surprised how much the can is catching. Could be a likely manifold build up causing, cheers for that thought
Thongsbot3000

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:01 am

Don't know how old, how many Kms or what conditions your vehicle has been subjected to?

Possibilities;

Check all the fuses related to engine, fuel etc. You may have a dodgey fuse or holder.

Likewise check any related relays.

Taking out the EGR mod would have me looking at the MAF sensor plug and sockets. These have been the cause of issues in the past. Just put a slight twist on the pins so there is pressure on the contacts.

Bit of contact cleaner on all the plugs and sockets around the engine would probably be worth doing.

Intermittent faults are a bitch!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm

I took the EGR valve out and it was quite sooted up and then i poked my finger in Manifold, and sure enough she's caked up in there.

Anyway Iv made the bold decision not to proceed repairing. She's lived a great rough and tumble life in my hands with many fond camping memories. I'm now retiring her to a friends farm and the owner is a mechanic and will tackle it, Yay !

Moving on, iv now traded up, and jumping ship into a 2018 Dmax. It popped up at a good price and iv always had a soft spot for these 3L engines.

So id like to thank the Forum and its members especially some of the long termers for everything over the years. The tips and advice has been an absolute gold with a wealth of information. This forum is just the best, i will miss it !!!

Thanks again everybody 8-)
Thongsbot3000

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Good luck with the DMAX mate, hope you enjoy your new ride.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:12 am

Dmax would probably be my choice too, if I couldn't get into another Triton.

Have fun.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion