P2413 code - will the resistor mod fix it?

Anything Triton related

P2413 code - will the resistor mod fix it?

Postby Tas_richo on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi All,

I’ve done a search and could not get a straight answer.

I’ve recently bought a MN triton and the lovely chap decided it would be better to put some tape over the engine light rather than fix the problem :( anyways I’m now left with a P2413 EGR code to fix...

I’ve just wired in a 4K7 resistor in line on the black/blue wire with some success, that success being I can turn on the car, clear the fault code and it’ll stay gone where as before the mod it would keep on coming back on (I think)... as soon as I turn the car off and back on again the fault code is back...

Obviously I could just replace the EGR unit but given most of you just disable it I’m not sure that’s something I want to spend money on.

Additionally I’ve got some engine run on which leads me to think the EGR is mechanically stuck open but haven’t had a chance to open it and have a look... and I was secretly hoping the resistor mod was gonna get rid of that light.

So I guess my question is... should the resistor mod mask my problem? Or if the actual valve is completely faulty or stuck open will I need to fix that regardless?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,
Evan
Tas_richo

Re: P2413 code - will the resistor mod fix it?

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 am

Your egr is sticking, and will need replacing.It isnt stuck open as you would lose boost if that was the case, and would thn get a light with an underboost code.

You could try and remove the valve and inspect the shaft for signs of sticking. Sometimes with a good clean of the shaft, they work again, but if the motor is no good then you will still get codes.

And fitting a blanking plate is a bad idea. If you have an overboost situation the ECU tries to open the EGR to dump the bosst. With a blanking plate in place the boost has nowhere to go and will throw a code and if the plate is over the exhaust port, it will blow by the egr valve and wreck the egr motor.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am

I'd also be checking the "throttle" and make sure it is operating freely. Don't know about the MN, but on my ml, the resistor mod does seem to delay the throttle shutting when turning off the motor.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am

Tas_richo wrote:I’ve just wired in a 4K7 resistor in line on the black/blue wire with some success, that success being I can turn on the car, clear the fault code and it’ll stay gone where as before the mod it would keep on coming back on (I think)... as soon as I turn the car off and back on again the fault code is back...

For reasons unknown some vehicles need a higher value resistor.

Tas_richo wrote:leads me to think the EGR is mechanically stuck open

Most likely situation, in my opinion. If not closing properly this will generate the fault code as the car goes through its system checks. I'd address this before playing around with the resistor any more.

Tas_richo wrote:I’m not sure that’s something I want to spend money on.

Your call. Fix it or put the tape back over the fault light. Follow Dibby's suggestion to clean and maybe get it working again. And no, I don't know where he got the blanking plate thing from either. But he is right about them not being the best solution.

Look on Partsouq and Amiyama for the part. Likely to be much cheaper than the dealer network.

Tas_richo wrote:I’ve got some engine run on

Normal with the resistor mod. Don't worry about it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:11 pm

I mentioned the blanking plate, because a question i frequently get asked is can we just blank off the EGR ?"
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:38 am

I would still use a blank down stream of the EGR cooler, simply to prevent coolant ever coming down that way it it failed.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion