ABS issue

Anything Triton related

ABS issue

Postby AussieAnth on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:07 pm

For the 3rd time, I damaged a rear ABS sensor out on a track, after rolling over a decent stick that got caught up underneath. First 2 times I ordered a rear aftermarket MN specific ABS sensor from Aliexpress.com, which include the magnet & wiring harness that connects back to the centre diff. Simple replacement fix worked both times. This time around however, I had a go at re-soldering the rear right ABS wiring. First time start up, the Brake warning, ABS, TSC & ASC lights disappeared, then all came back couple seconds later along with the brake warning light as well.

So at a recent service, I supplied 2 new rear abs sensors & asked the mechanic to fit them up, and replace a non-standard plug an tyre shop fitted up after ripping the rear left ABS sensor wires. Tyre shop couldn't get the factory plugs I guess so used basic 2 pin ones.

Anyway, mechanic's auto-sparky replaced the non-standard plugs with factory plugs, and installed the 2 new rear ABS sensors. Problem remained. They said the ABS module in the engine bay wasn't getting any signal from the rear sensors. They replaced the ABS module with a 2nd hand one, thinking thats the issue also. This time, TCS & ACS lights are gone, but still got ABS & brake warning lights. Then they replace the centre harness that interconnects the 4 abs sensors & I supply a full set of 4 new ABS sensors. Still same result. They recon no signal is being received up to the ABS module. The sparky is using an oscilloscope style tool that goes beyond measuring voltage and amps they tell me. So they're still chasing a wiring gremlin to resolve it.

Any advice on what this could be? I feel like the mechanic's are running out of ideas. They work on Triton's a lot and have been great to deal with over the years without ripping me off or doing poor work.
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Re: ABS issue

Postby Minza on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:58 pm

I've had this happen to me, rear wheel sensor broken from stick flicking up, l replaced with a second hand one from a wrecker fitted up myself, had a trip to the dealer for other reasons and the dash lights were still on so they replaced rear wheel sensor, said i had a fault which i hadn't cleared the code, anyway they fitted up the new one and cleared the code, dash lights stayed on untill it was started,switched off and on and driven around the block a couple of times, my guess is that the ecu picks up that there is no fault after so many revolutions of the wheel. Just take it for a short drive and switch it off and on a couple of times. This might help.
Minza

Re: ABS issue

Postby FQCODEL on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:03 am

With the order of tesing that they did it sounds like they really dont know what they are doing.

They should be testing all the components from the sensor up to ECU.

If theres no signal to the ecu i dont know why they would replace the ECU. Then afterwards replace the wiring. This is all simple stuff that can be tested.

The sensor has specs that indicate if its dead or not. Check the resistance to see if its in spec. If he has an oscilloscope he can see if the sensor is sending an alternating value, maybe the rings dont line up? Is the sensor correct for your ABS rings? Compare working side values with non working side values.

Theres 4 connectors between the sensor and the ECU, see where the signal stops. Maybe a short has melted the wire, maybe one of the connectors is corroded. Again simple a test, there should be no guess work as to if the wire is faulty or not, trace the signal all the way back to the ecu one connector at a time. Go for a drive with the faulty sensor pigged backed looking at the signal while driving, spinning the wheel might not be indicative of any issue as bumps etc can knock a faulty cable and cause it to play up.

Looking at the manual theres other components the ABS relies on, is the car throwing codes? G sensor, brake status sensor, diff lock sensor all play part in ABS. These all have service specs and ways to test to see if they work or not, i would not be replacing them if they are in spec (which indicates they work).
FQCODEL

Return to General Discussion